GDT: Edmonton @ Winnipeg

Rich

I knew we were hooped, watching the opening kickoff....as Cotton misjudged, droped, fumbled around, and then fell down untouched.....

I gotta wonder here - was he stoned? Seriously, a pro football player to bumble around like he was doing, something was off with him. That is not the Paris Cotton I saw in pre-season or in the game last week on kick returns. He did have nice run for the last play of the game, but those were garbage yards as the Eskies were in a prevent defense with no one near the line of scrimmage past the line. I really hope the dude was stoned TBH, at least that's a good excuse. Did you hear Matty's comment - "He needs glasses". Something was way off there, more to it than 'gaffes"

As soon as I saw the opening kickoff I wanted to change my pick from Wpg to Edm.  Then the pick 6 happened and I really wanted to change it.

Willy missed wide open receivers and he wasn't seeing what he expected from the Edmonton D.  His worst performance of the year by a long shot and the O line didn't give him much time help.  I'm no OC, but I'd have added some screens, draws, quick slants and moved the pocket to try and slow down the rush and try to keep him upright.

Ran a bit of this....in garbage time....don't know what MB was waiting for.  

At the end of the day, I don't mind the loss (we weren't going 18-0) .. the thing that bothers me is that the game wasn't competitive .. it wasn't entertaining .. the team that took the field last night evoked memories of 2013.

I disagree here. As an Edmonton resident and an Esks season ticket holder (but still a Bomber fan) this wasn't 2013 redux. The Eskimo defense is a monster, they are getting stronger every single week. They won the first three games for them, and one could argue they won yesterday too (Willis's TD in the 1st quarter was the winning points). Look how bad Burris looked? Hamilton's Qbs? And look at how we jibbed Kevin Glenn in week one. 

This is not a fluke. Watch the Stamps/Esks game next week, you'll see. Not saying the Esks will win, but you'll see a humbled Stampeder Offense that I guarantee. Wpg didn't play bad, Wpg was outplayed and outclassed. They'll be ready for the re-match. 

As soon as I saw the opening kickoff I wanted to change my pick from Wpg to Edm.  Then the pick 6 happened and I really wanted to change it.

Willy missed wide open receivers and he wasn't seeing what he expected from the Edmonton D.  His worst performance of the year by a long shot and the O line didn't give him much time help.  I'm no OC, but I'd have added some screens, draws, quick slants and moved the pocket to try and slow down the rush and try to keep him upright.

Ran a bit of this....in garbage time....don't know what MB was waiting for.  

Kind of late on the draw, you might say. :)

What about all the times Willy had time but didn't have a target? I would say the biggest culprit were his pass catchers not giving him options to throw to or his receivers dropping the passes he did get away. 

I see a huge improvement in this team, and I hope it continues, but tonite's games and last weeks game really have me worried.  Our porous o-line showed up in typical fashion yielding 5 sacks and we had too many 2-outs.  Yes I agree MB needed to change the play calling, but wow for the 2nd game in a row, Willy was under siege and had very little time to throw the ball.  Grigsby's zig zagging aside, there were 0 holes for him to run through.   The special teams blunders last week and this week, were madening. 

These are the exact same problems that plagued us last year, and they have started to trickle back in the last two games.

Still though, I think we will hit the 8 win plateau, but I'd be lying to you if I said I wasn't concerned.

Epic fail. Tackling 101 not happening. Willy has been exposed. Where is the goddam running game? Despite lack of plan, execution was pathetic . I'm more pissed at Rielly not being tackled by the 20 guys that didn't wrap him up. I have foam bricks, lucky me or my tv would be...  Better be a learning game, or we're fcked.

lol here we go. Willy has been exposed.

As what? A quarterback who won't go undefeated?

I dunno Mike why don't you tell me what you saw from Willy yesterday? Less than average performance from my point of view.

One of my complaints about TSN coverage is that you don't get many wide angles so you can't tell if the receivers are getting open or not.  You can see Willy set, look and then get happy feet.  First read certainly wasn't open.  Could be on the receiver or the QB or both.  Receivers didn't give Willy as much help as they have in the past 3 games.  

Epic fail. Tackling 101 not happening. Willy has been exposed. Where is the goddam running game? Despite lack of plan, execution was pathetic . I'm more pissed at Rielly not being tackled by the 20 guys that didn't wrap him up. I have foam bricks, lucky me or my tv would be...  Better be a learning game, or we're fcked.

I dunno Mike why don't you tell me what you saw from Willy yesterday? Less than average performance from my point of view.

Well l'm not Mike..but to try and blame this on Willy is ludicrous!

Got beat bad by a good defence if it happens again next week I will concern but until then I am taking a wait and see approach. As an aside Edmonton may have the best corner combo in the league with Burnett and Watkins.

What a difference with these two individuals from last year in comparison...coach and quarterback

One thing than annoyed me though, was leaving Willy in with 3 minutes to go when it was obvious that this was not going to be a comeback. I was concerned about him getting injured for no reason at this point.

One of my complaints about TSN coverage is that you don't get many wide angles so you can't tell if the receivers are getting open or not.  You can see Willy set, look and then get happy feet.  First read certainly wasn't open.  Could be on the receiver or the QB or both.  Receivers didn't give Willy as much help as they have in the past 3 games.  

It would be nice if they wouldn't isolate on the ball so much.

Most of the plays where Willy had time to find a receiver he had nothing.  Tight tight coverage on his half of the field and going back across looked sketchy as well.  Every throw away he made last night was the right decision.

What a difference with these two individuals from last year in comparison...coach and quarterback

One thing than annoyed me though, was leaving Willy in with 3 minutes to go when it was obvious that this was not going to be a comeback. I was concerned about him getting injured for no reason at this point.

No one is pulling their young QB's this year. 

Who would of thought that we would actually be missing Aaron Kelly? We desperately need Greaves or Watson to return(although I know we can't count on them). One guy who I thought played pretty well last night was Matt Bucknor they took some shots at him but he held his own fairly well. If Donovan Alexander is healthy, I'd be inclined to move Sears back up to SAM and start DA at safety. I'd look to give Cotton a start over Grigsby myself, while Aaron Woods definitely should be dressing. Kick Returns were absolutely brutal.

That is an aspect of the coverage that is really noticeable after watching the World Cup.  Nice wide camera shots so you can see the entire play develop, I think CBC used  those shots a lot more in their football coverage back in the day.  TSN really likes to focus on closeups of players sitting on the bench after a big play sweating or spitting or just staring blankly into space.

Although he has not taken the massive body blows that QBs have taken around here the past couple years. If I had to judge it look like Riley got hit harder last night than Willy. Still not sure how many years Riley can last taking shots like he does.

Wpg didn't play bad, Wpg was outplayed and outclassed

Bull ******* ****. That Willis int and td doesn't happen if Grigsby hauls in a pretty routine pass. The returners couldn't catch kicks, They finally get a drive going and Moore promptly fumbles the ball in the red zone on a pretty routine tackle that receivers don't normally fumble on. Willy tries a shovel pass it bounces off the receivers face, Willy buys some time and gets a pass away to a wide open receiver and the target misjudges it in the air and drops the pass... I'm not taking away anything from the esks defense, they are good and they played good, but the Bombers hurt themselves as much as the esks defense did. 

You have a real problem where you take a hyper critical view of the Bombers but gloss over the Esks issues and hype up what they do well. It's not anything new, it's just a trend I have noticed going back a long way. 

This was an ugly game, without the Willis TD it might well have been 6-3 going into the 4th quarter, that's how bad this game was for both teams on offence. Just one of those ugly games where the Bomber D did all they could but the offence was having plenty of issues of their own and could never string anything together.

Although he has not taken the massive body blows that QBs have taken around here the past couple years. If I had to judge it look like Riley got hit harder last night than Willy. Still not sure how many years Riley can last taking shots like he does.

Not only that, but the way he focuses so hard on escaping a tackle/pressure the ball is usually vulnerable and often exposed.  He'll be the root of a few turnovers if he doesn't protect the ball better.  

I agree with Mike. How has Willy been exposed??? We lost. We got beat by a better team last night. 

Willy - had no time to throw, when he did, had no one to throw too, when he did have someone to throw too, that player dropped it, flat out dropped it.. stopped running their route like JFG did early in the game and or just flat out dropped the ball.Willy wasn't the issue at all, Oline had problems though, not just one guy either, receivers couldn't catch, grigsby couldn't catch... cotton sucked at returns.

I mean really, esks didn't score an offensive touchdown until the 4th quarter i believe and i believe it was right after the bogus call on washington even. 

They didn't exactly kill us, ESKS aren't that good, we just simply put... RB, OLINE, RECEIVERS, Returners didn't show up. Willy played pretty decently, maybe it doesn't come across on TV and maybe if i watched at home i would think Willy wasn't that good either but being there in person, you can see they guy had no one to throw too. Seriously, people in the section were like throw the ball willy, in my head i'm thinking? to who? cuz nobody is open at all. 

Kind of amused me near the end, throw the ball willy, he does... DROP by our guy... summed up the night.. Willy, when he had time to throw (not often) made the right throw i thought and right read, it's just that nobody was open and when they were, they dropped the Damn ball. 

Do you guys think we are wasting NI spots on the 'MLB' position?
the guys like West, Cornell, Norris and Briggs are not really MLBers and on the roster as fulltime STers.
But could we use 1 or 2 NI spots to add depth on other position?