Week 1 - CFL Power Rankings

Calgary Stampeders
Off-Season Ranking: 1
No surprise here. The Stampeders were firing on all cylinders on Saturday afternoon, shutting down Montreal's offence to perfection, while also overwhelming their defence with relentless pressure from all angles. Bo Levi Mitchell was solid in his debut as the team's starter. We'll see if their early Week 2 bye ceases any momentum they might have gained.

Saskatchewan Roughriders
Off-Season Ranking: 2

Thanks to their big win over the Ticats, any questions surrounding the Riders heading into the 2014 season were silenced...at least for now. Tailback Anthony Allen was exceptional in his first career CFL game, trucking for 158 rushing yards and a touchdown, while also adding another score through the air. Oh, and don't think we forgot about the defence. 10 sacks, plus just 201 yards of allowed offence? Can't get much better than that.

Hamilton Tiger-Cats
Off-Season Ranking: 3

Don't read too much into Hamilton's Week 1 loss. You can be sure that Kent Austin's team will be a much more disciplined and prepared team for their Week 2 contest against the Eskimos.

BC Lions
Off-Season Ranking:
How uncharacteristic was Saturday's four-interception-outing for Kevin Glenn? It took him eight appearances before he threw four picks all of last season. The Lions were solid on both sides of the ball in the first half against Edmonton, but seemed almost surprised to see the Esks battle back in such impressive fashion in the final 30 minutes. A trip East to Montreal awaits.

Toronto Argonauts
Off-Season Rankings: 4

Ricky Ray had a typical night under centre for the Argos (27-38, 283 yards, 2 TDs), as he connected with nine different receivers for at least one reception. The defence remains a work in progress, but defensive coordinator Tim Burke did warn that there would be some growing pains. It won't get any easier for the Boatmen secondary, who were victimized for over 300 passing yards and four touchdowns, as they get set to welcome the defending champs to the Rogers Centre.

Edmonton Eskimos
Off-Season Ranking: 7

The Esks looked good...real good against a BC team that threw whatever they had and more in their direction. Mike Reilly was sacked three times, which is just below the 3.15 QB takedowns they allowed per game in 2013. Nonetheless, Edmonton looked like a different team in Chris Jones' first game, and could prove to be a surprise team in the West.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers
Off-Season Ranking: 8

Can you ask for a better season opener than the one the Bombers put forward on Thursday night? Drew Willy was almost perfect, and the defence held their own against a Toronto team that victimized them for 97 points in three games in 2013.

Montreal Alouettes
Off-Season Ranking: 6
The post-Anthony Calvillo era got off to a rough start for the Als, with replacement Troy Smith completing just 43 per cent of his passes for 154 yards. Brandon Whitaker, meanwhile, was solid in his first game since Week 10 of last season; a good sign for an Als offence that will look to rebound against the Lions.

Ottawa REDBLACKS
Off-Season Ranking: 9

Ladies and gentlemen: Your first place Ottawa REDBLACKS! Rick Campbell's group was on bye in Week 1, and will be well rested for their franchise-opening matchup with Winnipeg on Thursday

http://cfl.ca/article/cflca-power-rankings-stamps-top-inaugural-2014-list

Not sure how this makes any sense at all?

Hamilton was terrible!

I realize one game does not make a GC champ but these rankings don't at all reflect what went on last week.

1. Stumps  2.regular riders  3.Willypeg  4.deadmonton  5. Lyin's  6.Arblows 7.Hamilton free agents 8.No AC's 9.Rodblacks

Hamilton gets absolutely embarassed, like they were so bad I was having 2013 Bomber flashbacks and they get ranked ahead of Winnipeg who dominated their opponent from start to finish? Come on now. I get that power rankings don't mean anything but if you can be one of the most impressive teams in week one and still get ranked behind teams that get hammered then it's not even worth looking at. 

Hamilton gets absolutely embarassed, like they were so bad I was having 2013 Bomber flashbacks and they get ranked ahead of Winnipeg who dominated their opponent from start to finish? Come on now. I get that power rankings don't mean anything but if you can be one of the most impressive teams in week one and still get ranked behind teams that get hammered then it's not even worth looking at.

It takes more than one win to erase what has happened here over the last 2 years. With each win we will start creeping up the rankings. I'm okay with being ranked 7th at this stage of the season.

I don't get it. What's the point in even having power rankings if you're just going to look at one teams result and say "oh well doesn't count"

Hamilton got manhandled. They stay at three because of last year when they are largely a new team?

Are these CFL rankings or TSN? I believe the CFL ones use last years and calculate that into the equation. TSN I believe starts new every year which Is the way it should be done due to the turnover of teams. Should be:

Riders

Bombers

Stamps

Eskimoes

Lions

Argos

Montreal

Hamilton

Ottawa

Or

West

East

These are CFL rankings and they clearly take into consideration last years results.

I'm fine with giving a one week pass to Toronto, Hamilton and BC.

But there's no way Edmonton should be ranked ahead of the Bombers.  IMO two pretty even teams coming into this season, Bombers were much sharper in week 1, Edmonton snuck out 2 points with tons of help from BC.  Bombers were dominant for 4 quarters, Eskimos for about 1 and a half.

Realistically they shouldn't even bother with power rankings until August.

Power rankings are fun though. Yeah, especially with the most 'nomadic' league in the world (that I'm aware of) power rankings based on last year is a joke. You gotta look at the here and now with the CFL - I'd rank them as follows:

1. Saskatchewan

2. Calgary

3. Winnipeg

4. Edmonton

5. Toronto

6. B..C.

7. Ottawa

8. Hamilton

9. Montreal

The power rankings are always a bit of a joke. I'm not sure why they base it on last season when most teams have massive turnover every off-season. It really doesn't make sense to me and for that matter, i don't think they are very relevant.

Mathematical Power Rankings Explained

The 2013 CFL Power Rankings ?mathematical edition? uses an objective measurement of a team?s performance to date to establish a team?s ranking.

The 2013 statistical model ? formulated using a statistical tool known as regression analysis ? is based on information gathered from all regular season games played during the 2004 to 2011 seasons, inclusive ? over 1,250 observations in total.

The results of the regression analysis suggest that the ten most statistically significant indicators of team success are:

1. Quarterback Efficiency Rating

2. Time of Possession, as measured by percentage

3. Rushing Yards

4. Turnovers on Downs

5. Fumbles

6. Sacks Taken

7. Punt Return Yards

8. # of Punts

9. # of Kick-Offs

10. # of Kick-Off Returns

Our regression model suggests that a team?s offensive score in a game may be represented by the following formula:

Quarterback Efficiency Rating x 0.125, plus

Time of Possession (%) x 8.38, plus

Rushing Yards x 0.0246, less

Turnovers on Downs x 1.54, less

Fumbles x 0.562, less

Sacks Taken x 0.537, plus

Punt Return Yards x 0.0238, less

# of Punts x 0.314, plus

# of Kick-Offs x 2.99, plus

# of Kick-Off Returns x 0.467.

Each week a Club?s ?weekly score? will be determined by calculating a Club?s offensive score, using the formula above, then subtracting its opponent?s score calculated using the exact same formula.

Once a weekly score has been determined, the Power Rankings will be determined:

1. For the first half of the season by taking each week?s score and weighting them evenly (for example, the Power Rankings in week 4 would weight each week 25%, week 5 would weight each week 20%, and so on), except for the first week, which is based 50% on the regression score and 50% on last year's standings; and

2. For the second half of the season, after Labour Day, by weighting the current week 20%, the immediately prior week 10%, and all other weeks 70%.