Week 1 - CFL Power Rankings

What a joke that is. But it doesn't really matter. They can rank us however they want, we'll just keep winning games.

LOL yeah I can see it now - week 17:

Winnipeg Blue Bombers: Rank 7

With a 16-0 record, and a points for and against of +350, the Bombers still look for that elusive ability to finish games by half time. Brian Brohm hasn't been able to get into the game at any point this season before the end of the third quarter. Aaron Kelly seems to be stagnating, with only 30 TD's so far, not able to keep the two TD a game pace he'd been setting earlier in the season. Drew Willy's play has been lagging of late, with only three TD's and 295 yards of passing in his last outing against Edmonton, where the Bombers barely pulled off a 48 - 12 squeaker against Edmonton. The Bomber defence got really lucky that Mike Reilly threw three pick sixes and also fumbled four times. The O-line also struggled, giving up one whole sack against the vaunted Eskimo D-line; granted it was in the last minute of the 4th quarter, when the team water boy was brought in to play left tackle due to Mike O'Shea losing a bet to Bob Wylie. Still, the Bombers still seem to only slightly be improving over last year, and the 10-6 Stamps should dominate them thoroughly this week.

What a joke that is. But it doesn't really matter. They can rank us however they want, we'll just keep winning games.

With a 16-0 record, and a points for and against of +350, the Bombers still look for that elusive ability to finish games by half time. Brian Brohm hasn't been able to get into the game at any point this season before the end of the third quarter. Aaron Kelly seems to be stagnating, with only 30 TD's so far, not able to keep the two TD a game pace he'd been setting earlier in the season. Drew Willy's play has been lagging of late, with only three TD's and 295 yards of passing in his last outing against Edmonton, where the Bombers barely pulled off a 48 - 12 squeaker against Edmonton. The Bomber defence got really lucky that Mike Reilly threw three pick sixes and also fumbled four times. The O-line also struggled, giving up one whole sack against the vaunted Eskimo D-line; granted it was in the last minute of the 4th quarter, when the team water boy was brought in to play left tackle due to Mike O'Shea losing a bet to Bob Wylie. Still, the Bombers still seem to only slightly be improving over last year, and the 10-6 Stamps should dominate them thoroughly this week.

I can't even take you seriously 

Hmmmmmmm.

I know I've been on the internet since gopher was the main browser while using hacked dial up accounts to access the UOfM internet access

Buuuuuuuuut.. I find it hard to believe that u didn't get that he was writing a satirical week 17 power ranking report,

The biggest issue with this week's power rankings is unquestionably that they're basing it on what happened last year and not on what actually transpired last week.

My Power rankings would be

1. Saskatchewan

2. Winnipeg

3. Calgary

4. Edmonton

5. BC

6. Ottawa

7. Toronto

8. Montreal

9. Hamilton

tumblr_highpraise.gif

That's kinda the point.... excellent post KBF, laughed the whole time...

but power rankings clearly mean nothing since obviously this one was done before the season started.... and they were too lazy to change it by considering the games that actually happened.... maybe it keeps our guys motivated...

Has anyone read the criteria that goes into preparing the week one CFL Power Rankings?  I posted them earlier in this thread.  It explains everything. 

and the explanation is ******* ********. CFL has too much turnover yearly to bother including anything outside of what happens this season.

I can understand posting what would have been the final rankings from last year…as a reference point, but that's it. Like 17 says, and especially this year, with Ottawa joining the ranks, there is way too much turnover.

As an example:

Week One Powder Rankings

Last year  Week 1 

Sask         Sask - strong running game in a monsoon, relentless pass rush against a confused Ham. squad.

Calg.         Calg. - slow start morphs into a decent QB performance, decent girdle hides Nic Lewis's girth

Ham.         Wpg. - good discipline, good game plan, good performances, good grief. Tip of the hat to Bellefeuille and Etcheverry.

Tor.           Edm. - Mike Reilly, Adarious Bowman, lots of energy, deserved win

BC            Ham. - no chance for Collaros to perform, confused line play

Mont.        BC.    - 5 turnovers from this Pillsbury bunch

Edm          Tor.   - valiant attempt at the CFL penalty total, no answers for a very good Bomber attack

Wpg          Mont. - scrambling QB, scrambled offence, no pop in this game plan

*Ott.               Ott.

Every week these rankings can change a little or a lot, depending on how the teams are trending, injuries and such.

After one third of the season, when all teams have had their bye (week 10) we'll have had a better grasp of where teams stand.

Power rankings are a simple tool for gambling addicts who don't know enough about the teams yet still desperately want to bet money on the outcome of games.  Unwring your hands.  Hamilton can enjoy their 3rd place ranking.  I'll take our 2 points.

Has anyone read the criteria that goes into preparing the week one CFL Power Rankings?  I posted them earlier in this thread.  It explains everything. 

Yep - very interesting actually. I use a similar mathematical calculation when I do mine, It kinda looks like this:

(W - L Record) / (Points for - Points against) * (W - L record for team in previous game played) / (QB efficiency rating for the team in question - Ave of QB Efficiency rating of the rest of the league) * (# of yards gained - # of yards allowed) / (Total # of sacks +  total # of QB hurries) / Red Zone offence efficiency.......... then I say "screw it" and draw teams randomly from a hat........ like the CFL did for week one ;)