BLOCKBUSTER: Walby Joins TSN 1290

Big Bluto will be doing extensive pre and post game shows on TSN 1290 air this year (assuming we have a season)

Joining Troy Westwood and Darren Bauming. This puts an incredible amount of heat on Bob Irving, who at 66 might not want to host a 2 hour pre-game and 2 hour post game in addition to doing 3 hours of play by play.

CJOB's pre-game show is kinda tired. I'll certainly give TSN 1290 a try.

haha I like out the title of the thread says BLOCKBUSTER.... but yeah when I saw this, this morning I thought this might actually entice be to give 1290 pre game a listen, instead of CJOB.... I like Bauming and Walby, but not a huge fan of Westy... I think CJOB may need to bring in another analyst to compete....

Who would you take in an anchorman-style fight?

Team TSN: Climie, Schultz, and LaPo

Team CJOB: Knuckles, Doug Brown, and Mitch Zalnowsky

Team 1290: Bauming, Walby, and Westy 

I know Westwood isnt popular among some for usually lame reasons.  I like him.  I find his position on most things to be insightful and usually bang on.  He's vastly improved as a speaker as well.  Because I usually listen to CJOB for Bombers coverage I mostly hear Westwood discuss hockey so Im looking forward to hearing him talk football more where he is certainly an expert.

Not sure if Walby would be any good.  He usually seems hammered when I've seen/heard him speak but im sure he will be insightful.

Is Doug Brown still on CJOB?  I always found him annoying.  He came across arrogant.  His speaking style was of someone that thought he was a lot smarter than he really was.

Really? I always liked Walby when he was doing commentary for the CFL on CBC.

Me too, i always thought he was wasting his skills on CBC. should be cool to hear him on the radio and see if this translates into a move into tvland

Irving goes to away games alone. When the bombers are away the pre and post game shows kinda suck atrocious. Brown tries to anchor the deal - and if not Brown its Kelly Moore or The Joker Jim Toth. Toth & Moore have no real insight into football. Moore is a great hockey guy and Joker is just well - a Joker....

I suspect CJOB is re-jigging their pre and post game plans now that TSN announced Walby coming aboard.

Irving, Brown, Zalnasky (who's about 74) plus they'll mix in Bob Cameron, maybe Geoff Currier. 

CJOB or TSN would be smart to hand over a segment to morningbigblue...... and let us go at it from a fan's perspective!

I'm guessing this is a prelude to Walby hosting the CFL on TSN. :wub:

Are you suggesting hosting or panel member?

I'd like to see him as a panel member. I always enjoyed his approach when he was with CBC, especially is disjointed fingers holding the mic for everyone to see, priceless. 

I like how he'd bring his support for the 'hogs' to the discussion. Always enjoyable banter. Plus, being a Bomber Blue and true could help minimize some of that argo feel you sometimes get from TSN.   

I'd like to see him as a panel member. I always enjoyed his approach when he was with CBC, especially is disjointed fingers holding the mic for everyone to see, priceless. 

I like how he'd bring his support for the 'hogs' to the discussion. Always enjoyable banter. Plus, being a Bomber Blue and true could help minimize some of that argo feel you sometimes get from TSN.   

He'd be infinitely more enjoyable to listen to than Schultz. 

I can't stand Westwood so I doubt this changes my radio plans, but CJOB definitely has fallen since it's Irving and whoever they pair him with on the road. Overall I rarely listen to pre game stuff. I'll listen to post game if I'm driving or at home with time.

CJOB looks so damn cheap when its road games.  Like how much does it cost to send a guy on the road for a couple of days with irving?  I never even know who the colour guy is to be honest.  Dont they use...name escapes me, whenever they are in Hamilton, someone else for home games and then who?

Usually it's Neil Lumsden when they are in Hamilton (IIRC).

They have a different guy in every city, and DB97 for home games. It works alright, but Corus is definitely cheaping out. Easier to cut costs than find new revenue streams. #CorporateRadioProblems

Schultz wrote an article on TSN the other day ... I was laughing my ass off at some of the stuff he wrote. Typical epic Schultz stuff.

Schultz wrote an article on TSN the other day ... I was laughing my ass off at some of the stuff he wrote. Typical epic Schultz stuff.

:blink:

Was it written in crayon?

Really?  I always liked Walby when he was doing commentary for the CFL on CBC.

I thought he was decent for content, it's the shouty delivery that I'm not a fan of.

Probably start on CJOB, flip when they go to commercials, flip back when TSN goes to commercials, etc, etc.

Really?  I always liked Walby when he was doing commentary for the CFL on CBC.

I thought he was decent for content, it's the shouty delivery that I'm not a fan of.

Probably start on CJOB, flip when they go to commercials, flip back when TSN goes to commercials, etc, etc.

Hah, yeah. But he's a large man who gets excited about football, it can be tough to control.