BLOCKBUSTER: Walby Joins TSN 1290

Not sure if Walby would be any good. He usually seems hammered when I've seen/heard him speak but im sure he will be insightful.

Is Doug Brown still on CJOB? I always found him annoying. He came across arrogant. His speaking style was of someone that thought he was a lot smarter than he really was.

Lol Walby definitely was hammered during the last Grey Cup years back that he did. It was awesome and I'd like to see him hammered with Rod Black.

Doug Brown is a dink, he tries way to hard to sound intelligent. He also seemed to enjoy the Blue B's misery.

I like zalnasky only because he states the obvious and doesn't sugar coat things.

My beef with CJOB for years is that they have been too cheap to hire a full time on the road analyst with Bob Irving. Yeah, they use different guys & some like Neil  Lumsden are good but they don't know the team or  background of the players like an analyst would who was always around the Bombers talking to players & coaches. My take on CJOB management is they truly are cheap. They truly don't care about the Bomber fanbase & that the pre & post game show are stale. Maybe it would be a good thing if they lost the rights to the Bomber broadcasts because it may be time. If that happened, I could see Bob Irving packing it in & retiring. Not having a full time analyst because management doesn't want to pay anyone or their travel & meal expenses with all their advertising revenues coming for the broadcasts. I think that's total disrespect for Bomber fans. 

My beef with CJOB for years is that they have been too cheap to hire a full time on the road analyst with Bob Irving. Yeah, they use different guys & some like Neil  Lumsden are good but they don't know the team or  background of the players like an analyst would who was always around the Bombers talking to players & coaches. My take on CJOB management is they truly are cheap. They truly don't care about the Bomber fanbase & that the pre & post game show are stale. Maybe it would be a good thing if they lost the rights to the Bomber broadcasts because it may be time. If that happened, I could see Bob Irving packing it in & retiring. Not having a full time analyst because management doesn't want to pay anyone or their travel & meal expenses with all their advertising revenues coming for the broadcasts. I think that's total disrespect for Bomber fans. 

CJOB has the rights to the Bomber games for the next 5 years.   The remainder of the 7 year deal they signed right before Buchko left the radio station to run the Bombers.  

CJOB was worried that TSN 1290 was going to steal the rights when they came due so they offered the long term deal to the Bombers.   Can't see Bob working much past the next 5 years. 

Westwood is terrible. Poor speaker and often uniformed about the topic he is discussing.

Will be interesting to see what happens when the rights come up in 5 years.

I think it would be Geoff Courier he has done football before and has been the home sideline guy for years.

Westwood is terrible. Poor speaker and often uniformed about the topic he is discussing.

I think it would be Geoff Courier he has done football before and has been the home sideline guy for years.

Jim Toth is an option too. Bob Irving loves Toth and Irving is the CJOB Sports Director so he calls the shots.

Currier isn't much younger than Irving.

I assume Moore would take over for Bob?

Moore is not much younger than Old Bob. Bob is 65 or 66 (Scott Taylor had a column on him) but I think he'll run out the string for the next 4 or 5 years before TSN wipes out CJOB's sports coverage. Buchko used to be GM of CJOB so he arranged a behind the back sweetheart deal as part of his ascension to Bomber CEO. Geoff Currier is not the answer either - he's late 50s or early 60s. And if you've ever listened to Jimbozo Toth do U of M games on Shaw or other media, that guy is right in there with the worst of Rod Black or John Wells, perhaps worse!

The flipside is these guest analysts usually have much better insight on the opposition and the goings on there than any of the OB regulars do.  And we get to hear about Jesse's bobsled training.

Has Toth ever done pbp? It's not easy to just take over from Bob & not skip a beat.

Pretty sure he's done some amateur sports play by play on Shaw.

After Bob Irving, would you be happy listening to a guy who has virtually no experience? I wouldn't. 

The flipside is these guest analysts usually have much better insight on the opposition and the goings on there than any of the OB regulars do.  And we get to hear about Jesse's bobsled training.

Well, the thing is, I don't care about the other team. I care about the Bombers so not having an analyst is just so ridiculous. Like I said, CJOB is one cheap operation. 

I assume Moore would take over for Bob?

Moore is not much younger than Old Bob. Bob is 65 or 66 (Scott Taylor had a column on him) but I think he'll run out the string for the next 4 or 5 years before TSN wipes out CJOB's sports coverage. Buchko used to be GM of CJOB so he arranged a behind the back sweetheart deal as part of his ascension to Bomber CEO. Geoff Currier is not the answer either - he's late 50s or early 60s. And if you've ever listened to Jimbozo Toth do U of M games on Shaw or other media, that guy is right in there with the worst of Rod Black or John Wells, perhaps worse!

Jim Toth is fine working the game in the booth/studio pre & post game. Not doing pbp. I actually enjoy Toth's Upper Deck Sports Show. 

One of the all time greatest Blue Bomber and CFL players, with a lot of experience in radio and tv,  he's always energetic and entertaining, it makes perfect sense to have him as part of the bomber game show.

I like Troy as a radio host. Seems to put a fair amount of preparation into the job, and seems to have some basis for his opinions.

1290 is basically hockey all day every day, which gets very boring. Maybe they intend to do something about fixing that.

Westwood and Walby … could be really good. 

One of the all time greatest Blue Bomber and CFL players, with a lot of experience in radio and tv,  he's always energetic and entertaining, it makes perfect sense to have him as part of the bomber game show.

I like Troy as a radio host. Seems to put a fair amount of preparation into the job, and seems to have some basis for his opinions.

1290 is basically hockey all day every day, which gets very boring. Maybe they intend to do something about fixing that.

Westwood and Walby … could be really good. 

I agree. Troy is very well prepared and earnest. He suffers from a non-traditional voice (high)  but that hasn't stopped Vienna Boys Choir grad Chris Cuthbert, has it?  Troy's biggest problem at 1290 is being teamed with a selfish bugger named Matt Leibl. Here's a guy with little to no sports radio experience, and his sole purpose at 1290 seems to be making his fellow cast members look inadequate or weak. He seldom (almost never) puts other talent over. The managers at 1290 realized this earlier in the week when they took Leibl off the Hussler & Lawless program. Leibl paired with Lawless was just like oil and water. NO CHEMISTRY WHATSOEVER. 

I agree that Leibl is no good. He's considered a baseball expert because he watches a few games more than the other hosts but I've exposed him as a fraud in that dept. with a couple of calls. Now that Edmunds is around they don't need Leibl for baseball, so I ask what else could he possibly bring to the table?

At least Jay Richardson got the boot (or left on his own... However they sugar coated it,) at least he's gone.

I think this could be a really good show.I listen to Troy every morning at work and think he's alright, Walby most agree was one of CBC 's better ones and I've thought Bauming has been one of the better reporters on the Bomber beat.CJOB's show has got really old, tired and cheap.Slightly off topic, a big thanks to all who have been giving training camp reports.It is much appreciated.

As a general rule, I keep a really close eye on the Winnipeg media situation (albeit, not as close to the TV situation as the Radio folk) but I've never had much chance to listen to the TSN Morning Show. I might have to do that sometime, just to see what the real story is. I'm always leery of people like Westwood, with zero broadcasting background, taking on an important broadcasting role, but who knows...

At any rate, it really feels like 'OB might be in a heap o' trouble in 5 years when that Bomber broadcasting rights contract runs out...

Wait people think Doug Brown is the future of sports media here? He's almost unlistenable. Maybe that's too harsh.

I don't mind matt leibel when he's on with people that can keep him in line. He has a habit of going off on rants and speaking over others.

If 1290 got the bombers broadcast rights could they just simulcast the TSN TV commentary?