BLOCKBUSTER: Walby Joins TSN 1290

As a general rule, I keep a really close eye on the Winnipeg media situation (albeit, not as close to the TV situation as the Radio folk) but I've never had much chance to listen to the TSN Morning Show. I might have to do that sometime, just to see what the real story is. I'm always leery of people like Westwood, with zero broadcasting background, taking on an important broadcasting role, but who knows...

At any rate, it really feels like 'OB might be in a heap o' trouble in 5 years when that Bomber broadcasting rights contract runs out...

Guess they feel they don't have to groom anyone yet to take over from Bob. I remember a young Bob Irving coming to Winnipeg in 1973 from Regina & he took over the Bomber broadcasts from Ken Nicholson who just did the WHA Jets game pbp. Back then, CJOB had the rights to both teams. Ken was really sick with diabetes as well. I think Ken & management both knew that he wasn't going to be able to do hockey for much longer. So, hiring Irving was the right thing to do. And that he'd have to give it up sooner rather than later. 

One quick correction, while Bob started in SK, he actually came to Winnipeg via Brandon. He was the sports director for 880 CKLQ for a brief period and ran into the Friar at the Clear Lake Golf Course. They got to talking and one thing led to another, and Knuckles ended up making the jump from Brandon to Winnipeg...

Gonna be honest here, i don't particular care for talk radio, when i turn the radio on in my house or car, its not to hear other people talking. I hate it actually, it frustrates me to no end, i did however give tsn 1290 a chance to sway my listening habits a bit, and they completely sucked in my opinion. Now i rarely to never listen to the radio (only for bomber games) and only to listen to music, really i have an iphone and i'd rather just plug that in and listen to it.

Talk radio is just not something i care for, heck even on the music stations when the hosts start talking i switch it, it's just not my idea of entertainment.. entertainment to me is not listening to other people ***** about everything.

In Winnipeg the radio presenters are pretty feeble. Ace Burpee is actually top drawer but he only plays sugar pop over at Virgin radio so I can't stomach it. 

Charles Adler is the so-called highest paid due in Wpg radio but his pedantic fascist rants are nerve-grating. 

On Saturday & Sunday mornings CBC radio has an old pro named Terry Manure on the air. Lots of good interviews and pleasant chat. 

On the college stations I like Bird over at CJUM 101.5 (a rapper who goes by the name Bird a Pres), Handsome Darren Zorniak on CKUW Saturday afternoons doing psycho-billy and the great man John Einarson (author of many books on music and rock) doing Saturday mornings on CJUM 101.5 10am to noon.

Hefty Hal Anderson was OK at CJOB until Adler had him canned!

If only there was a die hard Bomber fan already working in radio that could host a proper pre game show and post game wrap up. You know...one that wasn't that wasn't that young or too Old....if only. 

I appreciate the pun, but I just have to say that he's old as ****, for real.

You sir are an *******....but as Joe just said, I'm too passionate to be able to do a quality, unbiased job. You think I'm crazy on Jr A broadcasts? Imagine me involved in -Bombers -MB Curling -Hockey Canada event ....

You sir are an *******....but as Joe just said, I'm too passionate to be able to do a quality, unbiased job. You think I'm crazy on Jr A broadcasts? Imagine me involved in -Bombers -MB Curling -Hockey Canada event ....

well as long as they win it would be fine... they lose though the negativety would make Paul Friesen blush.

well as long as they win it would be fine... they lose though the negativety would make Paul Friesen blush.
I'm turning over a new page this fall.....if I'm still there....

Haven't listened to Wpg. radio going on twenty years.  I remember thinking Kurt Kielback was pretty good when he covered the Jets.  Whatever happened to him?

He tried to get the PBP job for the new Jets and that didn't work.

I did see him on Earls about 2 years ago on a weekend afternoon I think doing a radio show while talking about a classic Jets game that he was watching at the place.  

Keilback occasionally does Manitoba Junior Hockey games from Selkirk with his old sports buddy Scott Taylor on color. They're actually very good.

Brian Munz could learn a few lessons. I find Munz very mechanical and an extremely poor story-teller when it comes to Jet broadcasts.

Kielback can be found at the downs betting on the ponies every now and then. Great guy... I did tell him he was the voice of my childhood, he was thrilled.

He was let go by the Coyotes when they cleaned house a while back. I guess they figured for the team to start producing they had better can the play-by-play guy, and I thought Bombers brass was questionable....

In Winnipeg the radio presenters are pretty feeble. Ace Burpee is actually top drawer but he only plays sugar pop over at Virgin radio so I can't stomach it. 

Charles Adler is the so-called highest paid due in Wpg radio but his pedantic fascist rants are nerve-grating. 

On Saturday & Sunday mornings CBC radio has an old pro named Terry Manure on the air. Lots of good interviews and pleasant chat. 

On the college stations I like Bird over at CJUM 101.5 (a rapper who goes by the name Bird a Pres), Handsome Darren Zorniak on CKUW Saturday afternoons doing psycho-billy and the great man John Einarson (author of many books on music and rock) doing Saturday mornings on CJUM 101.5 10am to noon.

Hefty Hal Anderson was OK at CJOB until Adler had him canned!

Agreed about Adler, he's nothing but a pompous twit that thinks he's right about everything.  The last time I listened to him he and this other joker were doing nothing but harassing this lady on the radio.  I agreed with Adler's opinion with the situation, but the way he was handling it was terrible.  They were giggling like school girls while they tormented this lady and then after she hung up did nothing but berate her on the radio while giggling to themselves.  I turned off CJOB from that point.

And Hal is just as useless IMO.

CJOB is nothing but a sellout group.  Whoever is paying them the most, that's where there opinion is swayed toward.  Whatever happened to objective media that doesn't get swayed but only goes after the truth?

And on another note, I didn't know Noeller was in radio.

Had Marty Gold got the gig on OB he's be a big deal in this town.

I like Bauming.

I almost only listen to talk radio in the car. Used to like Geoff Currier but that guy is such an arrogant clown. My favourite thing was listening to currier have to kiss the ass of everyone associated with the jets after they came back in an effort to try and get the broadcasts rights when he spent the precious tnere years berating anyone that suggested the NHL would return.

If only there was a die hard Bomber fan already working in radio that could host a proper pre game show and post game wrap up. You know...one that wasn't that wasn't that young or too Old....if only. 

I appreciate the pun, but I just have to say that he's old as ****, for real.

If he's old then I'm ancient...I'll start looking for places to die now.