Expectations for 2014

Hey,

Just wanted to get some general discussion going regarding Bomber fans expectations this season (forgive me if a similar thread exists).   Call me naive but I have a glimmer of hope that we can suprise a few teams this year.  I think the Florida mini-camp experiment was a huge step in the right direction and it finally looks like they are addressing the QB issue.  

I don't think we'll make the playoffs, but I'm thinking we'll  be able to squeak out 6 wins this year.

Thoughts?  Anyone willing to tell me that I need to have my head examined?

Cheers!

Whenever there's a major shakeup, especially after a crappy season, there's almost always a guarantee of an improvement.  Other than Ottawa, no other team will be facing that kind of facelift.  My expectations would be 7-11 but in the west, we would be hard pressed to make the playoffs.

After watching the team roll over and die at the first sign of adversity last season I just want to see a team that battles hard from start to finish week in and week out. 

Agreed...but what do you expect from this team?  Do you think that will still roll over and die?  Or battled hard for 3 quarters and then roll over and die?   Or actually have the personnel in place to deal with adversity and possibly overcome it?

I'm expecting 6-9 wins. The West isn't the powerhouse it used to be. There's player frustration in BC and Lulay's shoulder is a concern, Sask lost a significant numbers of key players this offseason to free agency. Calgary is the top team, and while Bo Levi Mitchell looks promising, after losing Glenn the Stamps have some questions at the QB position.

I'm not predicting it, but the Bombers could make the playoffs this season.

Every year around this time I'm planning the Grey Cup parade in my head. Realistically, we will be in tough to make the playoffs, but it depends a lot on how things shake down for the other western teams. As gbill2004 said, BC and Sask likely aren't the powerful teams we're used to seeing anymore. EDM has almost as many question marks as we do, but even they have the luxury of an established starter at QB. CGY should be able to pick up where they left off last year, they just better hope BLM is all that; I doubt they want to see Tate as their starter with his injuries and general eccentricity.

Pretty early, but I'll take a shot.

Calgary lost Glenn, but not too much else. I expect them to be #1 in the West this year.

Regina lost the most in the offseason, but they were so far ahead of us that it won't really matter to us.

BC lost the second most in the offseason, but they are also way ahead of us.  I see Regina and BC battling for 2nd and 3rd for the whole season.

Edmonton is at least a year ahead of us in the QB dept and they made changes to try and fix their O line, so I expect they will be ahead of us in offense.  I like Chris Jones as a DC, but HC/DC could be a problem.  Still, I see them ahead of us on defense, so I'll pick them as 4th.

We've got big ? at QB, O line, and OC at the very least,  so I don't see us as an offensive team.  I hate Etch as DC, but I expect we will look better on D for the first half of the season.  We'll probably have the most changes of any CFL team this year not called the redblacks and that's only because they are starting from nothing.  Our season will depend on how well we play Edmonton and Ottawa, rather than how well we play the other teams.  I'm expecting about 6 wins, which won't get us into the playoffs. 

The east is a bit harder IMHO.

Ray, assuming he stays healthy elevates Toronto to top spot.

Montreal's defence keeps them in the hunt.  Their season will hinge on if Smith is the real deal or not.  I think he is, so I'm picking them as #2. 

Hamilton made it to the Grey Cup last year, but I don't see a repeat.  Callaros was the best available young QB, but young guns rarely make a smooth transition to starter.  They'll be in the hunt all year, but I'm guessing 3rd.

Burris will help, but he can't do it on his own so Ottawa will be last in the east, probably last in the league.  

After watching the team roll over and die at the first sign of adversity last season I just want to see a team that battles hard from start to finish week in and week out. 

Agreed...but what do you expect from this team?  Do you think that will still roll over and die?  Or battled hard for 3 quarters and then roll over and die?   Or actually have the personnel in place to deal with adversity and possibly overcome it?

I expect what I said, battle from start to finish week in and week out. I think O'Shea is the kind of coach that can get a team to buy in like that. As for how well they'll do I have no idea but if they are playing hard all the time it'll work itself out eventually. 

Calgary lost Glenn, but not too much else. I expect them to be #1 in the West this year.

Regina lost the most in the offseason, but they were so far ahead of us that it won't really matter to us.

BC lost the second most in the offseason, but they are also way ahead of us.  I see Regina and BC battling for 2nd and 3rd for the whole season.

Edmonton is at least a year ahead of us in the QB dept and they made changes to try and fix their O line, so I expect they will be ahead of us in offense.  I like Chris Jones as a DC, but HC/DC could be a problem.  Still, I see them ahead of us on defense, so I'll pick them as 4th.

We've got big ? at QB, O line, and OC at the very least,  so I don't see us as an offensive team.  I hate Etch as DC, but I expect we will look better on D for the first half of the season.  We'll probably have the most changes of any CFL team this year not called the redblacks and that's only because they are starting from nothing.  Our season will depend on how well we play Edmonton and Ottawa, rather than how well we play the other teams.  I'm expecting about 6 wins, which won't get us into the playoffs. 

Montreal's defence keeps them in the hunt.  Their season will hinge on if Smith is the real deal or not.  I think he is, so I'm picking them as #2. 

Hamilton made it to the Grey Cup last year, but I don't see a repeat.  Callaros was the best available young QB, but young guns rarely make a smooth transition to starter.  They'll be in the hunt all year, but I'm guessing 3rd.

Burris will help, but he can't do it on his own so Ottawa will be last in the east, probably last in the league.  

i'll mostly agree with this... except

West: CGY, SSK, BC, EDM and WPG

East: TO,  HAM , MTL and OTT 

I'll put HAM ahead of MTL. Both teams have a young guns at QBs (Smith/Marsh and Collaros/Lefevour). Montreal will be having a new Offense with Worman while it will be the same Austin Offense for HAM with Lefevour have 1 year playing it which is an advantage. As far as I recall, Collaros was not declared as starter yet.

appreciate the vote of confidence (from TBurgess and MOAB), but this is the third consecutive year that we're going into TC with a complete revamp to our defence (and this time it'll be Burke and not Jones who oversees it). that's a few seasons in a row have we watched top calibre players leave... not to say i don't think Barker will find others (especially since players and agents who want to use the CFL as a possible bridge to a shot down south know that Barker has a track record of playing ball) but this time he doesn't have Jones as his wingman, he has his newly promoted understudies. 

Ray will still run a potent offence with a solid line and it will be brilliant (but fragile! Ray, Owens, Durie and Kack have all missed a lot of games)... but Hamilton and Montreal both look like they're starting with at least as many pieces in place as we have. we're a playoff team... but i wouldn't go any further than that.

as for your Bombers: expect them to compete. expect violence. expect growing pains with Willy and second guessing when Collaros has a good game every now and then. i wouldn't want to put a number on it yet and i certainly can't see the playoffs as a lock, but i can't see why you wouldn't be in the mix for a spot when there's so much uncertainty across almost every team right now.

appreciate the vote of confidence (from TBurgess and MOAB), but this is the third consecutive year that we're going into TC with a complete revamp to our defence (and this time it'll be Burke and not Jones who oversees it). that's a few seasons in a row have we watched top calibre players leave... not to say i don't think Barker will find others (especially since players and agents who want to use the CFL as a possible bridge to a shot down south know that Barker has a track record of playing ball) but this time he doesn't have Jones as his wingman, he has his newly promoted understudies. 

Ray will still run a potent offence with a solid line and it will be brilliant (but fragile! Ray, Owens, Durie and Kack have all missed a lot of games)... but Hamilton and Montreal both look like they're starting with at least as many pieces in place as we have. we're a playoff team... but i wouldn't go any further than that.

as for your Bombers: expect them to compete. expect violence. expect growing pains with Willy and second guessing when Collaros has a good game every now and then. i wouldn't want to put a number on it yet and i certainly can't see the playoffs as a lock, but i can't see why you wouldn't be in the mix for a spot when there's so much uncertainty across almost every team right now.

I think your D will be fine with Burke, yeah he's not a HC material but he's a very good DC. Plus Emry should be famillar with Burke D.

The real big question with your team is your special teams with Jim Daley.

It's nice to have someone from 'the outside' come along and tell us we might not be as bad as we think. Even if it's Bluto  :P

I'm sure Burke will resume being a top notch DC, so I believe the reshaped D in Toronto will be in good hands.

Winnipeg just has so many ?s. Our D could be dominant - I'm confident our DL will hold up it's end at least - but It feels like we've been forced to gamble on guys like Etcheverry and to some extent Willy for one reason or another. We could be dynamite. It's too early to say, and probably too much to hope for.

I think your D will be fine with Burke, yeah he's not a HC material but he's a very good DC. Plus Emry should be famillar with Burke D.

The real big question with your team is your special teams with Jim Daley.

if nothing else, it'll be nice to see DEs rushing the QB again... i like Jones, but his unorthodox-i'm-so-innovative ways were head scratchers at times.

we still have Owens on our ST, and Milanovich runs a very tight ship so i'm not concerned over Daley's hire (puzzling though it was). 

It's nice to have someone from 'the outside' come along and tell us we might not be as bad as we think. Even if it's Bluto  :P

I'm sure Burke will resume being a top notch DC, so I believe the reshaped D in Toronto will be in good hands.

Winnipeg just has so many ?s. Our D could be dominant - I'm confident our DL will hold up it's end at least - but It feels like we've been forced to gamble on guys like Etcheverry and to some extent Willy for one reason or another. We could be dynamite. It's too early to say, and probably too much to hope for.

uh, thanks... i think... :blink:

it was more to do with my supreme faith in Osh. the man is a winner. and even if you guys get taken to the woodshed a time or two, don't lose heart because MO'S is taking the loss >9000 times worse than you are and will never be afraid to change things to try and find a better way forward.

i think Burke is a top DC too and he and Milanovich had some very good times together before but like i said, it isn't just that our D is being reshaped but that it is also being rebuilt (again). losing guys like Mitchell, Ball and Watkins after a year previous losing guys like Armstead, McCulloch, Horne, Caroll... i just start getting an anxiety that we're asking Barks to reach into his bag of tricks too many times.

I'll put HAM ahead of MTL. Both teams have a young guns at QBs (Smith/Marsh and Collaros/Lefevour). Montreal will be having a new Offense with Worman while it will be the same Austin Offense for HAM with Lefevour have 1 year playing it which is an advantage. As far as I recall, Collaros was not declared as starter yet.

I can certainly see why you think that way.  How bout Ham and Mtl battling for #2 spot all season like BC and SKN?

I can certainly see why you think that way.  How bout Ham and Mtl battling for #2 spot all season like BC and SKN?

*toss*

can anyone recall if any CFL team (in the past) fielded 3 import OLs for most of the season and not just for 1-2 games?

i recall EDM did, i think last year but for just one (or two) game(s) only.

not really...  I think Ham tried it as well but not for long

I would only consider the bombers doing it because our NI depth is really terrible across the board, including OL...

it was more to do with my supreme faith in Osh. the man is a winner. and even if you guys get taken to the woodshed a time or two, don't lose heart because MO'S is taking the loss >9000 times worse than you are and will never be afraid to change things to try and find a better way forward.

i think Burke is a top DC too and he and Milanovich had some very good times together before but like i said, it isn't just that our D is being reshaped but that it is also being rebuilt (again). losing guys like Mitchell, Ball and Watkins after a year previous losing guys like Armstead, McCulloch, Horne, Caroll... i just start getting an anxiety that we're asking Barks to reach into his bag of tricks too many times.

What?!!?  9000?!?!

I'm expecting a 9-9 record.  I have several reasons to be this optimistic.