Mini camp updates

Mike

Bombers mini camp started today in Florida ... we'll keep a central thread for all reports and tweets, etc from those who have been following it.

Darrin Bauming has been an awesome source of news this morning. Pretty sure Penton and Wiecek are there too.

-- Apparently there are 7 new bodies from yesterday's free agent camp that we have yet to see "officially" signed by the club who showed up in Florida. Few more unannounced names than that overall, though.

-- Florida State REC Willie Haulstead, Florida State OL Daniel Glauser, Central Michigan RB Paris Cotton, Emporia State DB Jeff Richards are among the names that the club has yet to announce but are there. In the case of Haulstead, Glauser and Cotton, it's possible they have no contracts yet while Richards' agent has confirmed he signed a deal with the club. (chose Winnipeg over Calgary + another CFL club, in fact)

-- Couple more guys in the backfield who I can't name yet (as per request) but one of them spent time with Hamilton last year and the other is a fullback from LSU with 3 years of NFL time bouncing around practice rosters.

Bombers mini camp started today in Florida ... we'll keep a central thread for all reports and tweets, etc from those who have been following it.

Darrin Bauming has been an awesome source of news this morning. Pretty sure Penton and Wiecek are there too.

-- Apparently there are 7 new bodies from yesterday's free agent camp that we have yet to see "officially" signed by the club who showed up in Florida. Few more unannounced names than that overall, though.

-- Florida State REC Willie Haulstead, Florida State OL Daniel Glauser, Central Michigan RB Paris Cotton, Emporia State DB Jeff Richards are among the names that the club has yet to announce but are there. In the case of Haulstead, Glauser and Cotton, it's possible they have no contracts yet while Richards' agent has confirmed he signed a deal with the club. (chose Winnipeg over Calgary + another CFL club, in fact)

-- Couple more guys in the backfield who I can't name yet (as per request) but one of them spent time with Hamilton last year and the other is a fullback from LSU with 3 years of NFL time bouncing around practice rosters.

RB Paris Cotton was in Hamilton last year, didnt he?

I think I know who the fullback is.

Kirk Penton mentioned in his column that two kickers will be reporting to mini camp today

QB Brian Brohm and REC Mario Urrutia also showed up today.

Standouts as per ...

Penton: Receivers Antonio Robinson, Jaymar Johnson and Willie Haulstead. defensive backs Stephon Morris, Bruce Johnson and Cyhl Quarles

Irving: Receivers Jaymar Johnson and Willie Haulstead, returner CJ Tarver, defensive backs Stephon Morris and Bruce Johnson

Bauming: Receivers Willie Haulstead and Quentin Sims, quarterback Rob Marve

Wiecek: busy reporting on curling, apparently

Marve looking good today again.

Apparently CJ Tarver is having a strong showing too, which is interesting to me because he's worked out for them about two or three times by now and has yet to be offered a deal. Yet one of his teammates who plays the same position (Austin Coleman) earned a deal based off the Saginaw tryout and from what I've heard, has been completely underwhelming so far this camp.

Well, here's the Etcheverry influence.

Former Maryland safety and wide receiver Kenny Tate, who we've all been viewing as an option at one of the linebacker spots is listed as a "rover" and is taking mostly defensive line reps. Leon Williams doing the same thing.

Former Maryland safety and wide receiver Kenny Tate, who we've all been viewing as an option at one of the linebacker spots is listed as a "rover" and is taking mostly defensive line reps. Leon Williams doing the same thing.

Man, I hoped he had retired the 'rover'...

can you explain a bit that 'rover' position in Etch's D? is it the same to the 'jack' position in Burke's D?

can you explain a bit that 'rover' position in Etch's D? is it the same to the 'jack' position in Burke's D?

It's a term open to definition, it can mean any number of things but in Etcheverry's defense, it basically means a guy who could line up almost anywhere on any given play. Obviously there's more of a science to it with him, but I've given up trying to understand.

It's a term open to definition, it can mean any number of things but in Etcheverry's defense, it basically means a guy who could line up almost anywhere on any given play. Obviously there's more of a science to it with him, but I've given up trying to understand.

I would assume it's similar to the "joker" position in a 3-4, that the player can be rushing the passer, dropping into coverage, or defending in man on any given play.

From Google...

This is a label given to a player on the defense of a football team tasked with one of many tasks, but mostly revolving around stopping the opposition's best player, or best performer. The "rover" position was not used very often in the National Football League, it was more popular in the college game. The idea behind a rover was that a skilled defender would only have to watch the opposition's best player, thereby ensuring they would never go uncovered. The position adapted to one which is tasked with stopping short runs and covering the short passing zone. Sometimes, the rover would be used to watch the quarterback.

This position did not catch on in the NFL because players were too skilled to be only concentrating on one opposition player. The loss of a skilled defender on another player who was not in possession of the ball would put the defense at a disadvantage. The concept of a rover is still used; however, the player is usually assigned to watch a given position or space, rather than a particular player.

Not sure if this is how Etch uses it or not.