Great Bombers article from Gary Lawless today

Of course, there's no moratorium on the same people who always do the lame bitching about every Lawless column they read & yet we have to put up with their stupid moaning. I'm sick of having to read thru that constantly. There's lots of things people do here that bother others.

Mack was ignorant of the CDN game and, seemingly, too arrogant to let others in his employ who did understand it (Walters) make decisions. 

He was also completely out of touch when it came to Free Agency and obviously was above or didn't understand the importance of working with GM's from rival clubs. 

Thats on him. 

However, its come out his wife is/was battling cancer, and speaking from experience I can see how his focus might've been elsewhere.

He simply was not the right man or in the right position to do the job. 

However, the media -- especially Neckless -- does seem to have a boner for Walters, simply because he gives interviews and returns calls. And I agree with 17-85, some of his decisions have been fair at best. 

his big flaw was not hiring the right coach. Fundamentally his approach was not that dissimilar from Popp or Buono, but he didn't have an all time great coach like Buono who always developed a qb or Calvillo for decades. The guy had the approach that you can replace players which isn't wrong but you need a good teacher and leader at head coach if you're going to do that and he failed spectacularly at that aspect. 

Another drive by of the past regime? Come on that's lazy writing. Seems like he's tooting Walters horn when maybe he should be tooting Millers horn more. It's the CEO not the GM who gives out more money for operations staff. And let's be honest here, Walters based on his experience level should be making less money as a GM too. It's an article that really is Lawless' MO. Hype up the people he likes while cutting down people he doesn't. There's nothing ground breaking there and until we see the results on the field it's all just self serving. 

When media thinks it has a helpful friend in providing information they get gushing puff pieces like this. When and if Miller and co. cut off the information flow Lawless will be complaining about "inexperience" and "questionable hires" .

Another drive by of the past regime? Come on that's lazy writing. Seems like he's tooting Walters horn when maybe he should be tooting Millers horn more. It's the CEO not the GM who gives out more money for operations staff. And let's be honest here, Walters based on his experience level should be making less money as a GM too. It's an article that really is Lawless' MO. Hype up the people he likes while cutting down people he doesn't. There's nothing ground breaking there and until we see the results on the field it's all just self serving. 

When media thinks it has a helpful friend in providing information they get gushing puff pieces like this. When and if Miller and co. cut off the information flow Lawless will be complaining about "inexperience" and "questionable hires" .

It won't even take that long .. Lawless panders to the masses .. at the first inkling of trouble or adversity .. he will start questioning Miller et al.

At the first sign of trouble and adversity who should we then question?

Should probably wait until at least the second.

What, quarter? You are a more patient man than I...

I say if we're down after the first we blow the team up!

I know its not popular to support Lawless but the Lawless hate is so over-the-top.  He's too pro-Walters.  No no no, he will soon be anti-Walters.  Everyone disagrees with him.  He appears to the masses.  I mean WTF people.

There should be a new rule - if you dont like a Gary article, either dont comment or discuss why you disagree with him.  The remarks calling him a loser or a hack or whatever say far more about the person saying that and having no ability to debate the issue than of Lawless.

Maybe it's not what Lawless writes but how he writes it? You don't need to be an expert to know that he's not a great writer. He always has an agenda he's pushing, he changes his opinions that were oh so strong in one article seemingly at the drop of a hat... he's basically the newspaper version of an internet troll. Guys like Ed Tait and Randy Turner were fantastic covering the Bombers in the paper, now we get this current bunch of losers... it's a damned shame. 

This is article is so Lawless.  Don't get me wrong, I like that he's supporting the new Bomber regime, but a lot of the board's sentiments are dead-on.  So far, Walters has been a willing interview.  So far, no games have been played, and we're judging everything on paper, which let's face it, compares favorably to Mack because we were actually active in FA.

Probably most questionably... does anyone really think Walters said "Wade, please don't pay me $250k/yr, I'll take $150k so that we can spend the rest on football ops?"  No.  He wasn't an experienced GM, so he was likely given what an unproven guy gets... less money and a proving ground.  Somewhere between Walters and Miller, it was determined to spend the difference + on football ops rather than being in support of the bottom line.  That's the important takeaway that Lawless glossed over.

I for one will not get all giddy and excited about something Lawless writes.  The guy is a clown & will turn on anyone in a heartbeat if they do something he doesn't like.

Yay!! Gary Lawless says we're light years ahead of where we were last year!!... I am so far past any BS imagined optimism!!  Truth is that we have 3 rookies running the team in the 3 most important off field positions!!  Which = no optimism earned what so ever until they show us where it matters most!!  ON THE FIELD!!!

Until then...we have little to be optimistic about.

Each article that Lawless writes should be taken separately and analyzed accordingly. We have learned from his writings in the past that he is not to be trusted beyond the words he writes at that time.

As ArmchairGM points out, the salary aspect of the budget probably didn't go down as written, but we get the idea that the football ops budget did go up.

That's how Lawless writes, which is what 17 said.

But he likes Walters, at least for now, and we don't have to put up with his slights, both real or imagined, maybe even until the season starts.

I for one will not get all giddy and excited about something Lawless writes.  The guy is a clown & will turn on anyone in a heartbeat if they do something he doesn't like.

Yay!! Gary Lawless says we're light years ahead of where we were last year!!... I am so far past any BS imagined optimism!!  Truth is that we have 3 rookies running the team in the 3 most important off field positions!!  Which = no optimism earned what so ever until they show us where it matters most!!  ON THE FIELD!!!

Part of a reporter's job is to stir up enough controversy to make the read interesting, whether you agree or disagree, and Lawless seems to have done that. As far as optimism for the upcoming season is concerned- set your WABAC machine to 2013 at this time and look at the gloom that surrounded the team then. Mack was  spinning his wheels, the QB situation was a laughing-stock of the league, and just about everyone knew the Bombers were going to implode. I'll take 2014, thank you very much.

Part of a reporter's job is to stir up enough controversy to make the read interesting, whether you agree or disagree, and Lawless seems to have done that. As far as optimism for the upcoming season is concerned- set your WABAC machine to 2013 at this time and look at the gloom that surrounded the team then. Mack was  spinning his wheels, the QB situation was a laughing-stock of the league, and just about everyone knew the Bombers were going to implode. I'll take 2014, thank you very much.

Yeah and...our new guys still have "0" PROVEN qb's (although the QB's we have now should be better, that doesn't say anything at all as it shouldn't take much at all to get better there!  Release Goltz & Boltus and bam!! we're better at QB)  Our O-line isn't any better at all!  We lost our best Canadian.  We only really have maybe 3 Canadian Starters worth anything (Watson, Greaves and...hmmm maybe Kohlert & maybe Alexander.. borderline) We are still not a good football team!!  No one can say we are until we see it on the FIELD!! 

Until then please again spare me the imagined optimism!

Does anyone else remember how much time the media spent bashing Mike Kelly while praising Joe Mack for how much better and different he was than the previous regime? For the first 2 years anything bad that happened to the team was blamed on Kelly. Then when they turned on Mack, they turned on him hard.

It was the same thing with Kelly. Before he ruined his goodwill by not playing ball with the media, they were all over trashing Taman for everything bad that was going on with the team. They were absolutely loving the subway napkins comments long before they were trashing him for being unprofessional by making those exact comments.