Great Bombers article from Gary Lawless today

Lawless is a bit of a windbag, but I don't hate his stuff.  Since he's been writing with a bit more of a positive attitude, I find it easier to read/listen to.  Negativity will wear on anyone and even though he has a bit of a track record to smooth over, I'm willing to let Gary settle into his role as a main sports "guy" in Winnipeg.  

See, I don't think the problem many have (at least not me) is that he has to be either positive or negative about the team.  As the lead columnist for the Freep, I do however expect him to be educated.  Before the Unknown Poster gets all in a knot and shouts "But it's just his opinion!" I would like to point out that opinions can be both stupid and/or wrong.  That's my problem with Lawless.

If you are going to praise or criticize the Bombers or Jets, do it with both logic and evidence.  There are plenty of reasonable arguments to be made off that.

He picked an angle and then talked about it in a relatively well-written article.  If you take it for face value, you see a sportswriter talking about the state of the franchise and how it would appear based on the off-season moves we've made.  Not too inflammatory imo.  Any further that's being read into the article is a choice you're consciously making.

He's presenting a story and we can either like it or lump it.  -_-

When I saw the words "great article" and "Gary Lawless" on the title of this thread I knew there'd be fireworks for sure.

I don't hate Lawless but I don't go out of my way to read him either. As was noted before, he will change his opinions pretty quickly if the opportunity presents itself. It's nice to read a positive article, but I don't expect it to last too long.

No way,man. I'll argue with you till the cows come home about Mack. You get bothered.... and you do get bothered.... even though you deny it...  whenever someone dares to criticize Mack. Yet you criticize Lawless any chance you get which I find hypocritical. So, hey everyone.... Looks like 17 &  I are juuuust getting started. ;)

You see once again you miss the entire point. I love to argue, the problem is that you started bitching and moaning about the fact that I didn't let you get away with your bullshit so in an effort to ease up I said I'd tone it down as long as you did, but you didn't so now I am wondering why. The problem with comparing your criticism of Mack is that you invent things, when I criticize Lawless it's all the truth and much more about an opinion than pretending it's all fact like you do in regards to Mack. Don't worry, you can't get me worked up because I don't get worked up about this stuff like you do. Have you ever seen me complain about people arguing with me? That's the entire goal here. 

No way,man. I'll argue with you till the cows come home about Mack. You get bothered.... and you do get bothered.... even though you deny it...  whenever someone dares to criticize Mack. Yet you criticize Lawless any chance you get which I find hypocritical. So, hey everyone.... Looks like 17 &  I are juuuust getting started. ;)

You see once again you miss the entire point. I love to argue, the problem is that you started bitching and moaning about the fact that I didn't let you get away with your bullshit so in an effort to ease up I said I'd tone it down as long as you did, but you didn't so now I am wondering why. The problem with comparing your criticism of Mack is that you invent things, when I criticize Lawless it's all the truth and much more about an opinion than pretending it's all fact like you do in regards to Mack. Don't worry, you can't get me worked up because I don't get worked up about this stuff like you do. Have you ever seen me complain about people arguing with me? That's the entire goal here. 

I think you're getting worked up

See, this is exactly what I was talking about. The same people criticize & insult Lawless even when he has a positive article yet object to any ongoing criticism of Joe Mack. The same old **** gets stirred round & round by the same people. Yet, here we have the same people criticizing & name calling Lawless also have a major hard on for Joe Mack. Dare not criticize Joe because the hair on the back of their necks go up in anger. Yet, they make fun of Lawless any chance they get. Totally hypocritical if you ask me. Well too, too bad. It's a football website & as long as the comments are within the rules & the subject of Joe Mack comes up & you don't like it's just too bad. Any subject is fair game. Stop talking about Lawless in a negative manner with insults if you don't like criticism of Mack in any way, shape or form. You can't have it both ways so don't expect it. 

I'm not defending Lawless & the content he writes. Not saying it's good or bad. just expressing an opinion.  

Well when you want to stop inventing make believe arguments about Joe Mack I'll stop arguing with you. It's totally different because I'm calling Lawless a terrible writer, which he is. Nothing more nothing less. Just stating the simple fact that since Tait moved to the Jets and Turner stopped doing anything the Free Press coverage has been laughably bad and Lawless is part of that. 

You can't defend Mack.. The record under him is laughable. yes.. We made it to the grey cup which was a really nice surprise, but its like Buck and Lapo Willed us into that game.  The lack of talent at the O-line, Qb and and OC coaching positions never got better...   Mack took a bad team over from Kelly, and didn't really improve it in the 4 years he had managing the Team.  Did he find some good players? Sure.. But he didnt address the positions that needed to be addressed.  Lapo was a good coach and was good for the team, but he had **** to deal with.. Burke's team looked even worse with similar players.. 

but i digress. 

See, this is exactly what I was talking about. The same people criticize & insult Lawless even when he has a positive article yet object to any ongoing criticism of Joe Mack. The same old **** gets stirred round & round by the same people. Yet, here we have the same people criticizing & name calling Lawless also have a major hard on for Joe Mack. Dare not criticize Joe because the hair on the back of their necks go up in anger. Yet, they make fun of Lawless any chance they get. Totally hypocritical if you ask me. Well too, too bad. It's a football website & as long as the comments are within the rules & the subject of Joe Mack comes up & you don't like it's just too bad. Any subject is fair game. Stop talking about Lawless in a negative manner with insults if you don't like criticism of Mack in any way, shape or form. You can't have it both ways so don't expect it. 

I'm not defending Lawless & the content he writes. Not saying it's good or bad. just expressing an opinion.  

Well when you want to stop inventing make believe arguments about Joe Mack I'll stop arguing with you. It's totally different because I'm calling Lawless a terrible writer, which he is. Nothing more nothing less. Just stating the simple fact that since Tait moved to the Jets and Turner stopped doing anything the Free Press coverage has been laughably bad and Lawless is part of that. 

You can't defend Mack.. The record under him is laughable. yes.. We made it to the grey cup which was a really nice surprise, but its like Buck and Lapo Willed us into that game.  The lack of talent at the O-line, Qb and and OC coaching positions never got better...   Mack took a bad team over from Kelly, and didn't really improve it in the 4 years he had managing the Team.  Did he find some good players? Sure.. But he didnt address the positions that needed to be addressed.  Lapo was a good coach and was good for the team, but he had **** to deal with.. Burke's team looked even worse with similar players.. 

but i digress. 

That's the CFL for you though.  Squeak into the playoffs and get hot.

Settled Down shelly

but i digress. 

That's the CFL for you though.  Squeak into the playoffs and get hot.

Yup.. part of why the league is fun... But the grey cup appearance doesn't really speak to this being becuase of the work Mack did.. sure. he is repsonsible for getting the team there.. But he is also responsible for how shitty the team was before and after that :) 

but i digress. 

You can defend against erroneous attacks. If iso kept his attacks to simple stuff like the record then there's no issue but he goes into things that are easily argued. 

Settled Down shelly

Did you just respond to yourself?  :)

Lawless does a fine job. Look how worked up you all get. Mission accomplished.

Every time someone criticizes a writer on here we have to read a million variations of this comment. I don't buy it.  Other than the odd exception (Paul Friesen?) I think these guys are actually attempting to write thought-provoking articles that people read because they inform and are interesting. It's just that they (sports media) seem to get caught up in a lot of negative, cynical groupthink a lot of the time. Probably because a lot of these guys don't appear to actually like the sports that they are covering.

And I'm saying this all in a general context, as I don't really think Lawless really does that.  I don't mind him. I do strongly disagree with a lot of his opinions. But that's not uncommon in sports I'm sure. I can't expect everyone to be as smrt as me.

Until then please again spare me the imagined optimism!

Winnipeg Blue Bombers, Superbowl LIII champions....ahhhh....my imagination is the only thing that has kept me sane since 1990....

We've all been living on a mixture of hope and anger. Yes, this batch of quarterbacks doesn't have a lot of name-brand recognition, but last year, we KNEW what were were going to have to live with in quarterbacks, and it was ug-a-lee. It was one of the few seasons that I dreaded looking forward to watching.

Settled Down shelly

Did you just respond to yourself?   :)

Just messin' with his head. ;)