is anyone getting "that" feeling with Henry Burris...

Mr. Perfect

Not surprised. I know we're not used to paying quarterbacks properly but that's what a legitimate starting QB costs in the CFL and as much as it'd be nice to lowball him, we need him just as much as he needs our money.

$350,000 isn't going to cripple us as far as the cap goes.

With the cap going up and the new TV deal and all that, 350 isn't really that bad, actuallly....it's not 2005 anymore.

given that he does put up the numbers you would have to expect over 300 grand for burris, really seems to me that he is just trying to weasel as much out of as possible, maybe get some more years. I'd tell him to take it or leave it at this point, he doesn't like it he can go compete with Glenn or Reilly for the starting gig. 

Bombers offer for Burris is two years and "well over" $300,000.

Wow....

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/First-Take-Bombers-cant-chase-signing-Burris--243333831.html

What I find hilarious about this, is that if we don't get Burris, Lawless will be bashing Walters down the line for not spending the money and going after him.

Salary cap is 4.4 million as of right now.

You have to pay 46 guys + a practice roster. Once you factor in your ~10% for injuries and wiggle room + the practice roster money, I'd say you get left with around 3.75 to play with for salaries. Close enough to get a working idea anyways.

Even at 3.75, you could afford to pay your starter + backup QB a total of probably about 500k. Leaves you 3.25 for 44 spots, that's still an average of almost 75k a player.

I mean really, let's try and figure it out

Starting QB - 350k

Backup QB - 150k

7 starting Canadians - Average of 125k

Then you consider how many guys on the roster are guys who make minimum money (a backup RB, Canadian special teamers, etc) and it's easy to see how you can spend big money on more than one or two or even a handful of guys.

You have to pay 46 guys + a practice roster. Once you factor in your ~10% for injuries and wiggle room + the practice roster money, I'd say you get left with around 3.75 to play with for salaries. Close enough to get a working idea anyways.

Even at 3.75, you could afford to pay your starter + backup QB a total of probably about 500k. Leaves you 3.25 for 44 spots, that's still an average of almost 75k a player.

Starting QB - 350k

Backup QB - 150k

Then you consider how many guys on the roster are guys who make minimum money (a backup RB, Canadian special teamers, etc) and it's easy to see how you can spend big money on more than one or two or even a handful of guys.

Great post. That being said I still believe paying a soon to be 39 year old wildly inconsistent quarterback is extremely short sighted even if it doesn't handcuff us financially. I just don't see the point in investing money in a QB that by the time he is ready to ride off into retirement, the team will be in a position to compete for a championship. I think it also delays the development of whoever will be #2 on the depth chart for the season whether that be Willy or someone else.

Burris is probably trying to get stupid money upfront just in case Walters doesn't upgrade our OL and receivers in time...

I think it's more because he knows this is probably his last stop and he's trying to suck out as much money as he can before he retires.

And that's totally fair on his part. I never fault any pro athlete for taking as much money as they can get, while they can get it. Careers are short, you gotta max it out. He owes it to his family, at the very least, to get what he can.

Burris is probably trying to get stupid money upfront just in case Walters doesn't upgrade our OL and receivers in time...

Burris may be trying to get the cost of a full body cast and iron lung included if the O-line isn't upgraded.

Hamilton's oline was worse than ours and he survived.

Burris may be trying to get the cost of a full body cast and iron lung included if the O-line isn't upgraded.

Hamilton's oline was worse than ours and he survived.

my thoughts - Burris' biggest upside is his ability to escape pressure

Starting QB - 350k

Backup QB - 150k

Great post. That being said I still believe paying a soon to be 39 year old wildly inconsistent quarterback is extremely short sighted even if it doesn't handcuff us financially. I just don't see the point in investing money in a QB that by the time he is ready to ride off into retirement, the team will be in a position to compete for a championship. I think it also delays the development of whoever will be #2 on the depth chart for the season whether that be Willy or someone else.

Because in addition to making this franchise consistently competitive long term, Walters, O'Shea and co. are tasked with making this team respectable NOW - like, for this upcoming season. 

I know some will disagree, but we just can't be okay with another 3 win season. To even try and make this team consistently competitive and challenging for the Cup, we need to gain some ounce (sorry, litre) of RESPECT from around the league - and we're not doing that until we win some damn football games. Burris needs to be brought in because he's the best available right now - Willy or any other QB is a non-factor at this point b/c they're still FA. Not getting Burris, and potentially not getting Willy would be an absolute disaster for this team - going in with some sort of Hall, Goltz and newbie combo? Puh-leaze!

I don't think you'll find anyone who thinks Burris will win us a Cup, or that he's the long term solution - but he absolutely makes us a FAR better team the second we sign him.

my thoughts - Burris' biggest upside is his ability to escape pressure

And his biggest liabilities are his tendencies to commit giant brain-farts at the worst possible times and also to crumple into a ball and disappear once the outdoor temps go under +5c. Maybe that's why he doesn't want to rush into signing in Winnipeg, because he knows he'll have at least 3 cold weather home games?

Starting QB - 350k

Backup QB - 150k

Because in addition to making this franchise consistently competitive long term, Walters, O'Shea and co. are tasked with making this team respectable NOW - like, for this upcoming season. 

I know some will disagree, but we just can't be okay with another 3 win season. To even try and make this team consistently competitive and challenging for the Cup, we need to gain some ounce (sorry, litre) of RESPECT from around the league - and we're not doing that until we win some damn football games. Burris needs to be brought in because he's the best available right now - Willy or any other QB is a non-factor at this point b/c they're still FA. Not getting Burris, and potentially not getting Willy would be an absolute disaster for this team - going in with some sort of Hall, Goltz and newbie combo? Puh-leaze!

I don't think you'll find anyone who thinks Burris will win us a Cup, or that he's the long term solution - but he absolutely makes us a FAR better team the second we sign him.

Exactly. While unearthing and developing talent via scouting and drafting is important, keeping the talent you have and attracting new talent is also very important. And so, someone like Burris is like putting a new coat of paint on a house when you're trying to sell it; if we're going to draw interest, we need to the optics to change now. Winnipeg needs to become a more attractive destination for both established free agent vets - both ours and those from other teams - and for players new to the CFL.

Success will breed success and the developmental project players we bring in will benefit from it, not be victims of it.

While I feel as though the Bombers should just pull there offer to Burris, putting all our eggs in the Willy basket and potentially not getting him as well would be disastrous. Weird thing is what possible leverage could Burris have here, we're (based on speculation) more guaranteed money and we're the only team that could guarantee him the starter spot and as far as I can tell based on Burris and his agents comments that's what wants. IMO Willy to Ottawa makes a lot more sense then Burris to Ottawa.

I for one am not comfortable with the idea of Glenn coming back, not that he played horrible here or anything, but how quickly would the fans turn on him this time and if Willy doesn't end up here who would be the future guy that the team could sell to the fans ?

I think Burris is holding out because he wants a 3 year deal and Bombers only want to sign him for 2.  Someone tweeted that last week.  Not sure which guy and I'm not about to route through all their tweets to find it, but I think that's what's holding him back.  But who knows really.

I think Burris is holding out because he wants a 3 year deal and Bombers only want to sign him for 2.  Someone tweeted that last week.  Not sure which guy and I'm not about to route through all their tweets to find it, but I think that's what's holding him back.  But who knows really.

Contracts aren't guaranteed in the CFL, correct? If that's the case why not give him the three years, and if we so desire cut him after two or less if we should so desire.

Contracts aren't guaranteed in the CFL, correct? If that's the case why not give him the three years, and if we so desire cut him after two or less if we should so desire.

three ? why not give him four ?

Burris' agent has said he'd be open to a 2 yr deal "if the money's right".