is anyone getting "that" feeling with Henry Burris...

Mr. Perfect

While I feel as though the Bombers should just pull there offer to Burris, putting all our eggs in the Willy basket and potentially not getting him as well would be disastrous. Weird thing is what possible leverage could Burris have here, we're (based on speculation) more guaranteed money and we're the only team that could guarantee him the starter spot and as far as I can tell based on Burris and his agents comments that's what wants. IMO Willy to Ottawa makes a lot more sense then Burris to Ottawa.

I for one am not comfortable with the idea of Glenn coming back, not that he played horrible here or anything, but how quickly would the fans turn on him this time and if Willy doesn't end up here who would be the future guy that the team could sell to the fans ?

I would like to think that Glenn's grace period would be just as large as Burris'.  He's done more in the last few years than people probably expected of him.  

Salary cap is 4.4 million as of right now.

You have to pay 46 guys + a practice roster. Once you factor in your ~10% for injuries and wiggle room + the practice roster money, I'd say you get left with around 3.75 to play with for salaries. Close enough to get a working idea anyways.

Even at 3.75, you could afford to pay your starter + backup QB a total of probably about 500k. Leaves you 3.25 for 44 spots, that's still an average of almost 75k a player.

I mean really, let's try and figure it out

Starting QB - 350k

Backup QB - 150k

7 starting Canadians - Average of 125k

Then you consider how many guys on the roster are guys who make minimum money (a backup RB, Canadian special teamers, etc) and it's easy to see how you can spend big money on more than one or two or even a handful of guys.

Great post. That being said I still believe paying a soon to be 39 year old wildly inconsistent quarterback is extremely short sighted even if it doesn't handcuff us financially. I just don't see the point in investing money in a QB that by the time he is ready to ride off into retirement, the team will be in a position to compete for a championship. I think it also delays the development of whoever will be #2 on the depth chart for the season whether that be Willy or someone else.

Because in addition to making this franchise consistently competitive long term, Walters, O'Shea and co. are tasked with making this team respectable NOW - like, for this upcoming season. 

I know some will disagree, but we just can't be okay with another 3 win season. To even try and make this team consistently competitive and challenging for the Cup, we need to gain some ounce (sorry, litre) of RESPECT from around the league - and we're not doing that until we win some damn football games. Burris needs to be brought in because he's the best available right now - Willy or any other QB is a non-factor at this point b/c they're still FA. Not getting Burris, and potentially not getting Willy would be an absolute disaster for this team - going in with some sort of Hall, Goltz and newbie combo? Puh-leaze!

I don't think you'll find anyone who thinks Burris will win us a Cup, or that he's the long term solution - but he absolutely makes us a FAR better team the second we sign him.

If we sign Burris, Goltz gets released? If we don't sign Burris, Goltz gets what? Outside of the money, what does Burris really think of our organization? Does it matter what he thinks?  I think it does, but it's hard to measure tangibly. I'd rather go get Willy and keep Hall, who are both newer to the CFL, work hard on upgrading our o-line and offensive schemes to fit these guys and throw the dice. But hey, if Burris wants to come here, embrace the province and the fans and prove to the ***** cats that it was a mistake, then I'm all for that as well if it results in a playoff position and some grooming our our back-ups. Hopefully both scenarios will result in a win-win not a lose-lose. Would a third scenario actually be that we still have Hall and Goltz as our one-two come training camp?

Salary cap is 4.4 million as of right now.

You have to pay 46 guys + a practice roster. Once you factor in your ~10% for injuries and wiggle room + the practice roster money, I'd say you get left with around 3.75 to play with for salaries. Close enough to get a working idea anyways.

Even at 3.75, you could afford to pay your starter + backup QB a total of probably about 500k. Leaves you 3.25 for 44 spots, that's still an average of almost 75k a player.

I mean really, let's try and figure it out

Starting QB - 350k

Backup QB - 150k

7 starting Canadians - Average of 125k

Then you consider how many guys on the roster are guys who make minimum money (a backup RB, Canadian special teamers, etc) and it's easy to see how you can spend big money on more than one or two or even a handful of guys.

Great post. That being said I still believe paying a soon to be 39 year old wildly inconsistent quarterback is extremely short sighted even if it doesn't handcuff us financially. I just don't see the point in investing money in a QB that by the time he is ready to ride off into retirement, the team will be in a position to compete for a championship. I think it also delays the development of whoever will be #2 on the depth chart for the season whether that be Willy or someone else.

Think that this statement defines the past decade of Bombers mismanagement.  We need to stop thinking that experienced guys are just unnecessary placeholders for the young guys that are on their way up.  They're not.  Experienced players can offer leadership along with the higher level of play that comes with their experience.  They can help slow the game down for the young guys via mentoring. 

Does anyone think BLM would have been as game ready for his first start if he were here or Edmonton, instead of in Calgary, sitting behind Glenn and Tate?

I'd be okay with a 3 year deal. Two years as starter and year 3 as the veteran backup/mentor to Willy or whoever the new guy is at that time.

who in their right mind is going to offer a 39 year old qb a 3 year deal? Burris is desperately looking for something he's not going to get. Time to call his bluff and be done with this whole thing. 

What I find hilarious about this, is that if we don't get Burris, Lawless will be bashing Walters down the line for not spending the money and going after him.

Don't forget to mention that lawless is also fat and bald. You're statement is speculation with no basis in fact. Gary didn't bash Walters for not landing collaros. In fact he defended him.

What I find hilarious about this, is that if we don't get Burris, Lawless will be bashing Walters down the line for not spending the money and going after him.

Don't forget to mention that lawless is also fat and bald. You're statement is speculation with no basis in fact. Gary didn't bash Walters for not landing collaros. In fact he defended him.

Yes it is speculation.  You're just a wizkid aren't you?

I've gotten feedback from 10 REDBLACK and 10 Alouettes fans and none of them can see their management bringing in Burris for starter money.  I realize fans don't make the decisions, but it gives a sense from a local perspective. 

For what it's worth, the posters at EsksFans think there's nothing to the rumour about the Eskimos wanting Burris.

A member on the "other" Bomber message board is saying Burris has signed with Ottawa and that it'll be announced tomorrow.

You neglected to add that he found this information….through Facebook, where all the stars go to make their announcements.

That is a relevant piece to have not included.

It still may be true, but it's info we need to digest this properly.

Another person saying they watched the Super Bowl with Burris and that Burris said people will be "surprised" when they find out whop he signs with. That would take us out of the equation... I'm starting to get this sick feeling in my stomach that we aren't getting Burris.

Don't get too sick yet, it's only going to get worse on Feb 11 when Drew Willy and Henoc sign elsewhere.