Free Agency - 2014...

Mr Dee

We need to revisit this thread August 1st. I am not sure we are going to like what we see at that point.

Looking at the schedule, I think we can realistically be at .500 come August.

I think that .500 is the mark which will keep the fan hopes alive, but the scary comparison will be how we are doing VS Ottawa.

We need to revisit this thread August 1st. I am not sure we are going to like what we see at that point.

I'd be happy if we win 5 games and very surprised if we're still in the playoff race come October, but I think most (if not all) of the guys we've added will be good pieces as the team rebuilds, Banks probably being the exception but he'll help build the foundation.  Not like we signed a 39 year old quarterback or anything silly.

Redblacks will be fine... Maybe jj makes the team but I doubt that smith and lang do...

Ottawa has three ni starters on D with phillips, fraser and shologan... Lots of room for new import talent

Ottawa has god awful NI talent. Too much potential to break down.

I like to look at the glass half full.

Kind of like the way I'm pretending that Watson, Neufeld, Pencer, Stephan, Thomas, Swiston, Volny and Lucas will stay healthy and perform this season

Redblacks will be fine... Maybe jj makes the team but I doubt that smith and lang do...

Ottawa has three ni starters on D with phillips, fraser and shologan... Lots of room for new import talent

I'm assuming they'll use 3 NI spots on D with Fraser, a LB spot with Pottinger and a DL spot with Shologan, Evans and to a lesser extent Phillips and Capicciotti.  If Pottinger goes down they'll have to play 2 NI DL at all times.

Then 3 OL and 1 receiver/tight end/fullback.  Their OL isn't terrible if the guys coming off injury are all right, but it's below average, they basically got a bunch of guys that nobody wanted/are coming off serious injury other than Shologan and Eppele (who is also coming off an injury, 2  off-season surgeries).

Albright, KGroh and Barrette are pretty decent depth.  Plus MacMillan and this year's first pick aren't even in the picture yet.

At worst, they have eight NI starting positions... if an NI tackle works out, they have nine.

If we're relying on CK and Morely, I'm definitely not going to slag a team who has Hage and KGroh.

KGroh was handed to the Redblacks by a team who didn't have another option at centre and ended up signing Sorensen.

Has Albright even dressed for a game?

Montreal completely let Barrette walk after the season and they have no depth.

They have marginal prospects, failed prospects and injured guys.  It's an expansion team.

So the Bombers need a new defensive quarterback. The Hammer is someone who would probably fill that hole nicely.

The Hammer's real name is Robert McCune, and he finished third in the CFL last season with 99 tackles for the Toronto Argonauts. His agent, Donrich Young, said McCune is interested in the Bombers and the Bombers are interested in McCune. Talks are taking place, but no offers have been exchanged.

There has been a change in the Will Ford camp that could lead to his return to the Bombers.

Ford fired his U.S. agent on Thursday and replaced him with Canadian Rob Fry, who works for Gil Scott Sports.

The Bombers and Ford had been so far apart on money just before free agency began that there was little chance Ford, the team's special teams player of the year in 2013, would be returning to Winnipeg.

However, a change in representation signals a fresh start of sorts and there's now a chance a deal with the Bombers could be struck.

source: http://www.winnipegsun.com/2014/02/13/bombers-bringing-the-hammer

McCune is a beast. He is an outstanding linebacker stopping the run but sometimes struggles with his pass responsibilities. He doesn't have the range of Henoc Muamba but he still would be a great pick up. Doesn't look like Walters is interested. He will either replace from within or bring in someone new. 

McCune is a beast. He is an outstanding linebacker stopping the run but sometimes struggles with his pass responsibilities. He doesn't have the range of Henoc Muamba but he still would be a great pick up. Doesn't look like Walters is interested. He will either replace from within or bring in someone new.

Why do you say that? Penton's article says the Bombers are interested.

KGroh was handed to the Redblacks by a team who didn't have another option at centre and ended up signing Sorensen.

They have marginal prospects, failed prospects and injured guys.  It's an expansion team.

So Ottawa is a bunch of hacks, Montreal has no depth...  hate to think what you have to say about Winnipeg...

I guess that leaves pretty much Sask as the only team with a good OL in the league?

Media was saying yesterday that Walters was done signing free agents. 

That's not what Walters said at his presser yesterday.

That's not what Walters said at his presser yesterday.

Good, I'm glad. I want him to still sign a player or two.... There's still some players out there. 

So Ottawa is a bunch of hacks, Montreal has no depth...  hate to think what you have to say about Winnipeg...

I guess that leaves pretty much Sask as the only team with a good OL in the league?

Saskatchewan and Calgary.  Toronto and BC both have a lot of high-end young guys.  Everyone else is pretty much in the same boat with Edmonton and Hamilton standing out as especially bad among the bad.

Well, assistant coaches holding out. Wonders never cease.

Holding out? Where did it say anyone was holding out?

Just relax, Jacquie. Holding out for a better deal. It also means not making a quick decision, waiting for a better offer, whatever. Letting 2 teams fight over you. Trying to finagle the best offer possible. 

I don't know what to make of McCune.

He's going to be 35 going into camp, but he also started football real late. He didn't even debut in college until he was 22 years old so it's not as if he's got as much wear and tear as your typical 35 year old. He got drafted by the Redskins as a 26 year old and joined the CFL as a 31 year old rookie. He's an absolute specimen on the field and if you want a guy who is going to punish people, I'd say he's one of the hardest hitters in the league.

ROBERT%20MCCUNE.jpg

That's a dude that makes you fear the middle of the field.

I'd take him but I'd only count on it being for a year.

I don't know what to make of McCune.

He's going to be 35 going into camp, but he also started football real late. He didn't even debut in college until he was 22 years old so it's not as if he's got as much wear and tear as your typical 35 year old. He got drafted by the Redskins as a 26 year old and joined the CFL as a 31 year old rookie. He's an absolute specimen on the field and if you want a guy who is going to punish people, I'd say he's one of the hardest hitters in the league.

ROBERT%20MCCUNE.jpg

That's a dude that makes you fear the middle of the field.

I'd take him but I'd only count on it being for a year.

Wow it's like looking in a mirror.  Size wise I mean.  Yup...pumped up...*makes muscle pose*

SHUT UP VOODOO I DO SO LOOK LIKE HIM!!