Free Agency - 2014...

Mr Dee

Bourke wanted to remain in Montreal. Do you think we'd have ante'd up $220,000 to sign him?

I thought we should have offered Bourke $250,000. He's worth it.

He signed before FA started. He was re-signing in Montreal regardless of what any other team offered.

Not true. BC confirmed they made Bourke an offer. He was a FA for a few minutes.

IIRC they said he signed just before FA started - not enough time for other teams to know he had signed. And even if he was FA for a few minutes, that likely wouldn't have been enough time for his agent to let him know what the other offers were.

He missed out on an even bigger payday. Maybe $230-250,000. He must've called Mike Reilly for advice as to what to do.

Bourke wanted to remain in Montreal. Do you think we'd have ante'd up $220,000 to sign him?

I thought we should have offered Bourke $250,000. He's worth it.
He signed before FA started. He was re-signing in Montreal regardless of what any other team offered.
Not true. BC confirmed they made Bourke an offer. He was a FA for a few minutes.

IIRC they said he signed just before FA started - not enough time for other teams to know he had signed. And even if he was FA for a few minutes, that likely wouldn't have been enough time for his agent to let him know what the other offers were.

He missed out on an even bigger payday. Maybe $230-250,000. He must've called Mike Reilly for advice as to what to do.

Very shocking that he did what he did imo.. I thought.for sure he would field offers and we woulda made him a very rich lineman..

I like the Moore signing, only because I think he was one of the reasons BC was comfortable getting rid of Geroy.

Anyone else think it would be hilaaarious if Lulay got hurt early in the season? And they were stuck with the Pierce/Elliott show?

Wally has an unreal ability to produce Quarterbacks, if Lulay gets hurt I'm sure Ricky Ray 2.0 will be right there to step in.
Seeing as they only have Lulay, pierce and Elliott under contract.... It would likely be someone new with zero cfl experience. Tough even for wally.

Unless he's been cut, they have Chris Hart as well.  Printers, Pierce and Lulay all got significant playing time and played well by their second year in the CFL.

I wonder if Emery would have signed here id Burke would have been our DC? Who is our DC BTW???

Etcheverry

Not confirmed by O'Shea last Friday. He was asked about who would be the DC & he said contracts are in hands. If Etch is holding out, wow.

It may not be announced but barring any crazy changes, it's Etch. Players are already being told that's who it is.

7 Free Agent Bombers remaining:

1) Chris Mathews - interest from 4 CFL teams (including Bombers) and 2 NFL teams - Wpg Sun

2) Will Ford - has "entertained offers" from other teams. -  Wpg Sun

- and now from the Bombers.

3) Jovon Johnson _

4) Akeem Foster    _

5) Kenny Mainor      _

6) JT Gilmore             _          All quiet

7) Dan West             _

8) Chad Simpson   _

9) Andre Douglas_

Here's an excerpt from a Leader-Post article that was linked to at TEP about Newman signing with us:

“(I’d play) a little bit of safety, maybe the same position as Craig Butler last year, playing a little linebacker, getting in the box,” Newman said. “(Incoming defensive co-ordinator) Gary Etcheverry has a very elaborate scheme - one play, you might be at safety; the next, you might be at defensive end. He’s a mad scientist, and he told me straight up ‘you might call yourself a safety, but I just call you a football player. I’m going to put you in the best position to make plays.’ I said ‘yes, coach, that’s exactly what I want to hear.’

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/sports/Bombers+Hello+Newman/9496348/story.html

Some interesting tidbits from Penton in today's Winnipeg Sun:

Who will be protecting Willy remains to be seen. The Bombers lost two players on Tuesday, including starting centre Justin Sorensen to the Edmonton Eskimos. There is talk the Bombers will be moving Steve Morley to centre, but Sorensen’s departure leaves Winnipeg in need of even more Canadian O-line depth, and there’s not much left out there.

Meanwhile, Moore’s arrival could have an effect on veteran Bombers slotback Terrence Edwards, who until now has been Winnipeg’s No. 1 receiver. The Blue and Gold also have an offer on the table for free agent Chris Matthews, so Edwards’ future in Winnipeg could be up in the air.