Free Agency - 2014...

Mr Dee

Just a few thinking of how the ratio shakes out for us right now .. putting together a few ideas of who we might see as the 7 NIs .. thinking:

Greaves

Morley

Swiston / Pencer / Neufeld - they'll need one of these guys to step up and take a spot

Watson

Kohlert

Lucas / Thomas

Muamba / Newman / Bucknor

Depending on the package, probably see a healthy dose of Pontbriand and Fitzgerald as well ..  the interior of our line makes me want to vomit .. none of Greaves, Morley or Swiston (et al.) are guys that I'd consider anchors ..

I agree re: inside o-line. It's scary. Sadly, the only way it's going to get better in the forseeable future is a prospect stepping up. Guys who can anchor an o-line just don't make it to free agency frequently enough to bank on that route. They could go for a trade, but the price is going to be high. It'll be a great day when we can stop fretting over the o-line.

I think Greaves has developed into a VERY solid Guard

Except that all too often he still looks very much like a converted DT.  He needs to elevate his game more consistently because, as it stands now, he still gets beat quite regularly.  Greaves is still something of a project.

What we need is to hire a damned good offensive line coach. Mack loved to draft athletic guys, so there's guys with some tools to work with on the roster, need a coach who can turn them into players. Delmonaco didn't do much of that so the only way the line is going to improve is if we hire someone who can help players improve. 

Sheets gone too, eh.

I'm finding it difficult to conceive of a team having a worse off-season than the Riders are having so far this season. After the way that the arrogant twerps have been slagging us for so many years, I can't help but love it. :)

The Riders will be just fine. Their O-line is still one of the best if not the best in the league, they have and they have a good QB. Running backs are a dime a dozen as well. Yes they need to replace Butler but they still have a very good football team for 2014.

It will be very interesting to see how they do without Dressler.  I think he was the best receiver in the league last year.

From H&L this afternoon, Walters said there are no more deal are in the works as of the moment. They'll focus next on identifying what areas need to be addressed and bring guys from the US.

i'm thinking they are also reserving cap room for Matthews and Laurent when those guys fail to land a gig in the NFL.

(I completely agree our OL is a disaster and clusterfuck, but FA isn't going to solve that. It's why I love seeing everyone gush over ANY qb - Collaros, Burris, Glenn, Willy, who cares - they're likely all to play like crap behind this line)

You obviously never saw the turnstiles that Khari had to stand behind most of his time here. A good QB can make any Oline look half decent, especially if he has a quick release. Even turnstiles require two seconds to get past to the target on the other side.

Doesn't exactly make it EASIER on a new starting qb. And I'm not exactly ready to call Willy Khari Jones... Yet ;-) .

Sheets gone too, eh.

I'm finding it difficult to conceive of a team having a worse off-season than the Riders are having so far this season. After the way that the arrogant twerps have been slagging us for so many years, I can't help but love it. :)

The Riders will be just fine. Their O-line is still one of the best if not the best in the league, they have and they have a good QB. Running backs are a dime a dozen as well. Yes they need to replace Butler but they still have a very good football team for 2014.

It will be very interesting to see how they do without Dressler.  I think he was the best receiver in the league last year.

Even more interesting now with Sheets signing with Oakland. They lost 3 in a row when Sheets was out of the line-up. 

Ottawa seems to REALLY be scraping the bottom of the barrel of DB's so far...

#RedBlacks have signed DE Brandon Lang (#Eskimos) and former #Bombers DB Bo Smith.

Even with the favourable expansion draft to get an actual QB that can play, I don't think they'll be better than the Renegades were in their first season, 4-14.

But at least Burris and Jovon have experience posing for banners that they can put on the side of the stadium, hopefully they didn't already make banners with Glenn.

Redblacks will be fine... Maybe jj makes the team but I doubt that smith and lang do...

Ottawa has three ni starters on D with phillips, fraser and shologan... Lots of room for new import talent

I'm assuming they'll use 3 NI spots on D with Fraser, a LB spot with Pottinger and a DL spot with Shologan, Evans and to a lesser extent Phillips and Capicciotti.  If Pottinger goes down they'll have to play 2 NI DL at all times.

Then 3 OL and 1 receiver/tight end/fullback.  Their OL isn't terrible if the guys coming off injury are all right, but it's below average, they basically got a bunch of guys that nobody wanted/are coming off serious injury other than Shologan and Eppele (who is also coming off an injury, 2  off-season surgeries).

Redblacks will be fine... Maybe jj makes the team but I doubt that smith and lang do...

Ottawa has three ni starters on D with phillips, fraser and shologan... Lots of room for new import talent

Ottawa has god awful NI talent. Too much potential to break down.