Free Agency - 2014...

Mr Dee

In his press conference today, Walters mentioned that there are two guys coming into the draft who have played center and who the Bombers have their eyes on. One is obviously Lavertu and I think the other is a kid from BC who's name escapes me. Anyway, no matter who Ottawa drafts first it looks like our #2 pick goes on a center.

Just a few thinking of how the ratio shakes out for us right now .. putting together a few ideas of who we might see as the 7 NIs .. thinking:

Greaves

Morley

Swiston / Pencer / Neufeld - they'll need one of these guys to step up and take a spot

Watson

Kohlert

Lucas / Thomas

Muamba / Newman / Bucknor

Depending on the package, probably see a healthy dose of Pontbriand and Fitzgerald as well ..  the interior of our line makes me want to vomit .. none of Greaves, Morley or Swiston (et al.) are guys that I'd consider anchors ..

I agree re: inside o-line. It's scary. Sadly, the only way it's going to get better in the forseeable future is a prospect stepping up. Guys who can anchor an o-line just don't make it to free agency frequently enough to bank on that route. They could go for a trade, but the price is going to be high. It'll be a great day when we can stop fretting over the o-line.

I think Greaves has developed into a VERY solid Guard

Now he needs to learn how to play that way consistently.

I don't know what we offered Butler and Bourke, but the fact that we whiffed on both of those guys (particularly Bourke) and signed an import receiver for a bundle of cash concerns me.

Does this group want to win, or did they just want to 'make a splash'? 

Sorry for being negative, but our NI depth is ugh and our O-line is going to get someone killed.

I don't know what we offered Butler and Bourke, but the fact that we whiffed on both of those guys (particularly Bourke) and signed an import receiver for a bundle of cash concerns me.

Sorry for being negative, but our NI depth is ugh and our O-line is going to get someone killed.

Good grief! What does it take to get through some people's heads that just because you make an offer, or even a great offer,  doesn't mean you're going to get that player. There are all sorts of reasons why players choose one place over another! 

Did anyone seriously think Bourke was leaving Montreal? 

As people have stated, the price for receivers has gone up, whether we like it or not.  The "use of a car" stipend is small when you think about it (lease for 6 months, get a deal from the dealership - what, $300 x 6 months - $1800?), and the club can probably just expense it outside of salaries.  Smart move to "hide" money. 

Sucks not to get Butler, but he had his choice and cost a pretty penny.  

You brought the angst upon yourself.

Bourke, we had a .08 chance of landing Bourke, (no coincidence in the number (BAC) as you would have to be drunk to think we had a chance to lure him away)

I'm actually impressed we had a shot at Butler with BC (current residence) and Hamilton (where he's from)

If you want to hear Walters explain these very topics, I encourage you to listen to the presser.

http://www.bluebombers.com/video/index/id/94631

Are we not short on NI experienced NI receivers?

Just providing a list of NI-WR we have on our roster right now (not commenting on their viability as starters):

Watson

Kohlert

Brescacin

Feoli-Guidino

Renaud (Taylor)

Fitzgerald (drafted with an H back type role in mind I believe)

Guys drafted and coming back:

Alli

(Not sure about DiCroce)

It's going to be interesting to see how they approach the ratio this season. 

Dicroce was grabbed off waivers by Calgary. 

(I completely agree our OL is a disaster and clusterfuck, but FA isn't going to solve that.  It's why I love seeing everyone gush over ANY qb - Collaros, Burris, Glenn, Willy, who cares - they're likely all to play like crap behind this line)

You obviously never saw the turnstiles that Khari had to stand behind most of his time here.  A good QB can make any Oline look half decent, especially if he has a quick release. Even turnstiles require two seconds to get past to the target on the other side.

Sheets gone too, eh.

I'm finding it difficult to conceive of a team having a worse off-season than the Riders are having so far this season. After the way that the arrogant twerps have been slagging us for so many years, I can't help but love it. :)

The Riders will be just fine. Their O-line is still one of the best if not the best in the league, they have and they have a good QB. Running backs are a dime a dozen as well. Yes they need to replace Butler but they still have a very good football team for 2014.

Just a few thinking of how the ratio shakes out for us right now .. putting together a few ideas of who we might see as the 7 NIs .. thinking:

Greaves

Morley

Swiston / Pencer / Neufeld - they'll need one of these guys to step up and take a spot

Watson

Kohlert

Lucas / Thomas

Muamba / Newman / Bucknor

Depending on the package, probably see a healthy dose of Pontbriand and Fitzgerald as well ..  the interior of our line makes me want to vomit .. none of Greaves, Morley or Swiston (et al.) are guys that I'd consider anchors ..

I agree re: inside o-line. It's scary. Sadly, the only way it's going to get better in the forseeable future is a prospect stepping up. Guys who can anchor an o-line just don't make it to free agency frequently enough to bank on that route. They could go for a trade, but the price is going to be high. It'll be a great day when we can stop fretting over the o-line.

I think Greaves has developed into a VERY solid Guard

Except that all too often he still looks very much like a converted DT.  He needs to elevate his game more consistently because, as it stands now, he still gets beat quite regularly.  Greaves is still something of a project.