GDT 3 pm: Victory Day

1 minute ago, GCn20 said:

For sure, he is not seeing the field like a 3 down QB needs to do. He's been here a week, maybe he's just a slow learner, maybe he's a bust. I wouldn't get rid of him yet though.

I hope we PR him and he accepts

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

I hope we PR him and he accepts

Me too....because the guy has high skill level and if it ever clicks for him lookout. I would hate to see him go to Calgary with his old coach and get the lights turned on over there. Sadly, I think that is exactly what will happen.

Edited by GCn20

3 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Me too....because the guy has high skill level and if it ever clicks for him lookout. I would hate to see him go to Calgary with his old coach and get the lights turned on over there. Sadly, I think that is exactly what will happen.

I'm sure they watching the CFL transactions for it

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

From what I saw, he is struggling to adapt to the 3 down game. He has the talent, do we have the patience?

It depends I guess, it took Vernon Adams 4-5 years to ascend to starter status, still not sure he was worth the time invested in developing him.  Physical tools are easy to evaluate, it's the mental tools a QB possesses that make the difference between the good and the mediocre.

The one thing I’d like to know about Barry eh is.   Is he in the qb room with Zach and Strev and Wilson putting in extra work  . is he going above and beyond. Cuz I’ve heard Wilson is putting that work in. He’s trying hard to learn the nuances. Is la Barry eh. If he’s not I’d let him go. 

looks more  like a guy who maybe fit a system right now.  

Edited by Goalie

I don’t find Barriere to be a toolsy QB from watching a lot of his NCAA career to now.  He’s nowhere near the raw talent level of VAJ.

He’s kind of slightly above average across the board nothing too special arm, mobility or run wise.  Remember Chris Leak who was UF QB before Tebow?  Was with Als for a couple years.  That’s who he reminds me of.

I like NDSU’s current QB a lot more and they run a more pro style pass scheme.  New head coach is the guy who called plays for 3 solid pro QBs there too.  Cam Miller is the guy.  He’ll be CFLer.

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I don’t find Barriere to be a toolsy QB from watching a lot of his NCAA career to now.  He’s nowhere near the raw talent level of VAJ.

He’s kind of slightly above average across the board nothing too special arm, mobility or run wise.  Remember Chris Leak who was UF QB before Tebow?  Was with Als for a couple years.  That’s who he reminds me of.

I like NDSU’s current QB a lot more and they run a more pro style pass scheme.  New head coach is the guy who called plays for 3 solid pro QBs there too.  Cam Miller is the guy.  He’ll be CFLer.

Barriere throws a really nice ball, but yea he's no physical freak like Adams. He is a very good passer though....however, if he can't figure out our game then all of that is moot.

43 minutes ago, BBlink said:

Fair points on Barriere. I was definitely on the cut-him-train. But I think it's more reasonable to think that we should keep a QB on the PR and potentially not give up on a guy that seems to have a lot of special skills and just takes longer to learn the game.

Can't see them keeping 4 QB's around, 2 on the roster 1 on the PR is more efficient and cost effective, Sask. does it but it always proves rather wishy-washy and pointless as they end up cutting most of them anyway.  If a Bomber QB goes down they can always pick up a temp. like Arbuckle or Cornelius hot off the couch.

1 hour ago, Fatty Liver said:

Can't see them keeping 4 QB's around, 2 on the roster 1 on the PR is more efficient and cost effective, Sask. does it but it always proves rather wishy-washy and pointless as they end up cutting most of them anyway.  If a Bomber QB goes down they can always pick up a temp. like Arbuckle or Cornelius hot off the couch.

Isn't the active roster built for 3 QBs though? It would be 3 on AR and 1 on PR

9 minutes ago, BBlink said:

Isn't the active roster built for 3 QBs though? It would be 3 on AR and 1 on PR

Last season they kept 3 on the active roster and 0 on the PR, with Strev. handling 3rd down and Brown's backup job, I don't see any reason to keep another QB on the active roster when he doesn't have a role.  Strev. will be hungry for every rep he can get, he didn't sign a bottom drawer contract to share limited snaps with a rookie.

7 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Last season they kept 3 on the active roster and 0 on the PR, with Strev. handling 3rd down and Brown's backup job, I don't see any reason to keep another QB on the active roster when he doesn't have a role.  Strev. will be hungry for every rep he can get, he didn't sign a bottom drawer contract to share limited snaps with a rookie.

Fair points for not keeping 3 QBs on the AR. You could replace the 3rd QB with a Canadian or Global player. Might be a good call if the 3rd QB isn't going to be doing anything.

11 minutes ago, BBlink said:

Fair points for not keeping 3 QBs on the AR. You could replace the 3rd QB with a Canadian or Global player. Might be a good call if the 3rd QB isn't going to be doing anything.

And to get Karamoko on roster for ST work and depth

Backup QBs are exempt from the National/American count. So having a third string Canadian or Global QB does nothing to help the American depth at another position.

The only place a team would benefit from a National QB would be as a starter ala Nathan Rourke

3 hours ago, Goalie said:

The one thing I’d like to know about Barry eh is.   Is he in the qb room with Zach and Strev and Wilson putting in extra work  . is he going above and beyond. Cuz I’ve heard Wilson is putting that work in. He’s trying hard to learn the nuances. Is la Barry eh. If he’s not I’d let him go. 

looks more  like a guy who maybe fit a system right now.  

Barriere looks like a much less talented Pigrome.

I thought Barriere stunk and I won’t be surprised if they cut him, but I also won’t be surprised or upset if they PR him.

The most valuable position, the toughest to learn and we as fans have the quickest trigger finger? They believed in him enough to wait 5+ years, if their evaluation is that there’s more to work with than what one half of preseason football suggests, I’m okay with that.

16 minutes ago, Mike said:

I thought Barriere stunk and I won’t be surprised if they cut him, but I also won’t be surprised or upset if they PR him.

The most valuable position, the toughest to learn and we as fans have the quickest trigger finger? They believed in him enough to wait 5+ years, if their evaluation is that there’s more to work with than what one half of preseason football suggests, I’m okay with that.

Wilson seems to be more CFL ready to me, not sure they have room for more than one back up.  Though with the way Strevy plays it won't surprise me if he gets banged up at which point we'll need another QB body at some point.

I would suggest Collaros is 1 hit away from being finished. He’s not a spring chicken so if they think Barry can be the future, perhaps it’s best to let him develop on the PR. 5 years on the neg list to me means they gonna give him a chance to develop unless he truly is just a systems QB. 

Next game id give Zach and the starters 2 series. Strev can have the rest of the first half then Wilson and Barry can finish it off. 

maybe even give Barry and Wilson a series with the starters also. 

Edited by Goalie

40 minutes ago, Mike said:

I’d be sad if they cut Wilson though.  Have rarely seen a guy show up as a CFL rookie who looks to have legit potential as a passer..not a thrower or scrambler.

5 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I’d be sad if they cut Wilson though.  Have rarely seen a guy show up as a CFL rookie who looks to have legit potential as a passer..not a thrower or scrambler.

I doubt they'd do that. Especially if he was looking to be ahead on the depth chart during practice. Going in 3rd in the game isn't any indication either, I seem to recall people saying they do that to see how a guy does potentially in a tight game situation.  To me the question now is whether they keep a qb on the PR or not.

If I was betting I would say Collaros gets a half, and the second half is split between Barriere and Wilson. Betcha Strev either sits next week or plays very little. If he plays it's strictly a public relations move for the fans.

16 minutes ago, Noeller said:

If I was betting I would say Collaros gets a half, and the second half is split between Barriere and Wilson. Betcha Strev either sits next week or plays very little. If he plays it's strictly a public relations move for the fans.

I woud think he just does short yardage plays to get in sync with the line...

37 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Collaros always seems to want lots of reps in the second pre season game. I bet he takes half plus a drive maybe more. 
 I think strev still has adjustments and will play at least a few drives. 

37 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Could go either way on Collaros.  Think he wants lots of reps so might go a series or two into 3rd Q.  Probably smarter to give him like 3-4 series, Streveler about the same then Wilson and maybe a series or two for Barriere.

I don't think MOS views playing Collaros as much as he wants as a risk like most of us probably do.