2024 Blue Bomber Training Camp

15 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I feel like this would have been the case, but that Lawson injury’s for instance has hurt the progress of killing the old boys club a bit. If Lawson was healthy I think Jake starts out on the 6 game. 

for sure. I think the question is at what point does it stop being worth it? If we are a play off team that doesn’t make the cup? And how many cups in a row can you lose with out making changes? Being the first place loser has serious diminishing returns. 

2...when the loss can be atributed to almost the exact same issues/reason for most part

16 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I feel like this would have been the case, but that Lawson injury’s for instance has hurt the progress of killing the old boys club a bit. If Lawson was healthy I think Jake starts out on the 6 game. 

for sure. I think the question is at what point does it stop being worth it? If we are a play off team that doesn’t make the cup? And how many cups in a row can you lose with out making changes? Being the first place loser has serious diminishing returns. 

Prior to the Lawson injury I was thinking/feeling that this may be the yr where we actually show significant change due to a combo of skill/age/usefulness......now.....sinking feeling and this will have a ripple effect because of it as to why some guys are rostered...some on PR and sadly a couple out right cut...god I hope I am way off base...but history show......and they say...if you dont learn from history youdestined to fail.....so I wont be shocked if the season turns out the xact same way...I'd rather go 10-8...make playoffs and run the table with youth and guys cutting their teeth so 18 games in...they know whats going on..as opposed to 15-3...limping into playoffs with an older tired out team....with no depth players, and fail...likely from more dumb decisions....

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

That’s more that fair imo. 
 And I don’t think that the change needed is firing mos, I think he might need reigning in. 

the actual Boss's...Miller and Walter's need to say...'ok...look your ideals have failed us 3 straight yrs now" this is how we gonna move forward....You buy in and off we go...Hi FIFO....you balk and say nope.....See ya thanks for the memories

This team will not fall apart and become Sask East if Osh leaves....And Like he says hinself....the players run the room and police the culture...not him....Another coach who isnt a complete tool/fool/Mike Kelly clone can maintain whats been erected here...People put too much credit and belief that he is the Magic Tonic...There are probably 90% of the guys on the roster who have played for a coach they would say they would run into a fire for....and there will be others after

15 minutes ago, Booch said:

2...when the loss can be atributed to almost the exact same issues/reason for most part

Prior to the Lawson injury I was thinking/feeling that this may be the yr where we actually show significant change due to a combo of skill/age/usefulness......now.....sinking feeling and this will have a ripple effect because of it as to why some guys are rostered...some on PR and sadly a couple out right cut...god I hope I am way off base...but history show......and they say...if you dont learn from history youdestined to fail.....so I wont be shocked if the season turns out the xact same way...I'd rather go 10-8...make playoffs and run the table with youth and guys cutting their teeth so 18 games in...they know whats going on..as opposed to 15-3...limping into playoffs with an older tired out team....with no depth players, and fail...likely from more dumb decisions....

the actual Boss's...Miller and Walter's need to say...'ok...look your ideals have failed us 3 straight yrs now" this is how we gonna move forward....You buy in and off we go...Hi FIFO....you balk and say nope.....See ya thanks for the memories

This team will not fall apart and become Sask East if Osh leaves....And Like he says hinself....the players run the room and police the culture...not him....Another coach who isnt a complete tool/fool/Mike Kelly clone can maintain whats been erected here...People put too much credit and belief that he is the Magic Tonic...There are probably 90% of the guys on the roster who have played for a coach they would say they would run into a fire for....and there will be others after

Agree with all of that.  
I think the culture is dying, and this year with guys gone and soon with guys like biggie/ba/thomas/neuf gone it will be a fraction of its former self. (I think maybe one of those guys plays next year.) we need the next guys up in terms of culture and tone setters. 

the coaching progression is well set up with buck and jy locked in. I have no doubt that if we lost any of the big 3 mafia guys we would stay what we are. 

I feel like Walter’s and co made moves this off season to limited mos’ ability to have up jumped role guys to be a crutch. They may need to take another step to limit mos ability to put out sub optimal rosters. 
 People have argued that we didn’t have the talent in camp in the past, which I don’t agree with. But this year, basically every one sees the talent is there to fill our holes and go next man up. If we cut a bunch of the lbers dl etc this year and run out ends who can’t get pressure dts who can’t close gaps etc the pressure will mount quickly. If we see minor injuries like to bo mount into multi game stints and longer I think it’ll be on as well. 
 Winning isn’t enough in this market any more. That’s expected. We have the pieces to move forward and extend this dynasty into a long term thing. 

4 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Not exactly.

"They" say that if you don't learn from history then you are destined to repeat it.

sports its fail....but also....u do repeat it too...as they say...and for us they been going hand in hand....and about to re-introduce themseleves it's looking

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Yeah if it was that simple why did it take soooo long to even find a competent coach let alone a coach that has won us 2 cups? Your bias against MOS is showing again.

3 minutes ago, bb1 said:

Yeah if it was that simple why did it take soooo long to even find a competent coach let alone a coach that has won us 2 cups? Your bias against MOS is showing again.

Not arguing with you re competency but I wonder what Lapo could have done with the O-line, QB, receiving corp and defence that MOS has had in place for the past 4 - 5 years.  Lapo had to find a way to utilize Aaron Hargreaves and Brock Ralph.  We've dramatically increased our player personnel and talent acquisition since then.

That being said - even with this level of talent we have now, Tim Burke would have still found a way to go 4-14 this year...lol...

18 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Not arguing with you re competency but I wonder what Lapo could have done with the O-line, QB, receiving corp and defence that MOS has had in place for the past 4 - 5 years

Been good enough to barely lose. It's pretty telling when the only time Lapo has a winning record as a head coach was when swaggerville dragged his ass to wins.

31 minutes ago, bb1 said:

we had garbage management...garbage players....garbage environment.....it was a collective revitilization....not the work of one guy...save for that stooge Mike Kelly we had compatent coaches...tho Burke was in over his head as a HC but thats a product also players...coaches NOT wanting to come here....Walters deserves a heck of a lot more credit than he gets...same with Miller....he created the atmosphere organization wide that also cultured and created the environment....the "culture" here isn't a new concept....it is here NOW but we didn't re-invent the wheel.

This loyalty to vets/foot soldiers and at times can...and has worked in reverse too...I know with 100 percent certainty that Woli was gonna walk away, but if not for some intervening by a few players...and assistant coaches he opted to give it another stab...why you think BOLO walked?....groomd and ready for 2 yrs, and come a big game didnt even step on field as 3 other guys higher on the totem pole who could barely play let alone make a differnce in the Cup kept him on the sidelines...who blames him from running away...there have bee others as well

Do I have a bias against him?...forsome things yeah...I do and rightfully so....winning glosses over many things in sports....but eventually it gets exposed, and if one doesnt change....you see the results...0-2 now....and counting

Edited by Booch

9 minutes ago, Booch said:

we had garbage management...garbage players....garbage environment.....it was a collective revitilization....not the work of one guy...save for that stooge Mike Kelly we had compatent coaches...tho Burke was in over his head as a HC but thats a product also players...coaches NOT wanting to come here....Walters deserves a heck of a lot more credit than he gets...same with Miller....he created the atmosphere organization wide that also cultured and created the environment....the "culture" here isn't a new concept....it is here NOW but we didn't re-invent the wheel.

This loyalty to vets/foot soldiers and at times can...and has worked in reverse too...I know with 100 percent certainty that Woli was gonna walk away, but if not for some intervening by a few players...and assistant coaches he opted to give it another stab...why you think BOLO walked?....groomd and ready for 2 yrs, and come a big game didnt even step on field as 3 other guys higher on the totem pole who could barely play let alone make a differnce in the Cup kept him on the sidelines...who blames him from running away...there have bee others as well

Do I have a bias against him?...forsome things yeah...I do and rightfully so....winning glosses over many things in sports....but eventually it gets exposed, and if one doesnt change....you see the results...0-2 now....and counting

Keep preaching what you’re preaching boss.

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Agree with all of that.  
I think the culture is dying, and this year with guys gone and soon with guys like biggie/ba/thomas/neuf gone it will be a fraction of its former self. (I think maybe one of those guys plays next year.) we need the next guys up in terms of culture and tone setters. 

the coaching progression is well set up with buck and jy locked in. I have no doubt that if we lost any of the big 3 mafia guys we would stay what we are. 

I feel like Walter’s and co made moves this off season to limited mos’ ability to have up jumped role guys to be a crutch. They may need to take another step to limit mos ability to put out sub optimal rosters. 
 People have argued that we didn’t have the talent in camp in the past, which I don’t agree with. But this year, basically every one sees the talent is there to fill our holes and go next man up. If we cut a bunch of the lbers dl etc this year and run out ends who can’t get pressure dts who can’t close gaps etc the pressure will mount quickly. If we see minor injuries like to bo mount into multi game stints and longer I think it’ll be on as well. 
 Winning isn’t enough in this market any more. That’s expected. We have the pieces to move forward and extend this dynasty into a long term thing. 

It's so difficult to keep a dynasty moving, but in the CFL you've had BC from 2004-2011 rolling, Calgary took over from 2012-2018, and it's been the Bombers since 2019. 

Seems like a 6-7 year window of success before some struggles come. FWIW, with the way WPG recruits, I don't see that drop coming anytime soon. 

6 minutes ago, greenrider55 said:

It's so difficult to keep a dynasty moving, but in the CFL you've had BC from 2004-2011 rolling, Calgary took over from 2012-2018, and it's been the Bombers since 2019. 

Seems like a 6-7 year window of success before some struggles come. FWIW, with the way WPG recruits, I don't see that drop coming anytime soon. 

Yeah, I think the talent level in will be a big difference maker. 

How’d you feel about the line play in the pre season game? 

6 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Yeah, I think the talent level in will be a big difference maker. 

How’d you feel about the line play in the pre season game? 

Truthfully I only watched the 1st half, then decided to work in my yard.

The OL had both good & bad moments, I'll chalk up some cohesion issues to the new starters. 

DL... Interior is fine, edge rushers I would've liked to see more from. Tackling also still not great. I won't dive too deep into a preseason game, but overall I'm pleased. The biggest takeaway I've had so far is that there are no significant injuries so far, feels like that was a trend the last 3 years.

1 minute ago, Pepper_Brooks said:

Some folks here seem to be living in permanent grump mode. Can't you just enjoy the beautiful game of Canadian pigskin for what it is? Remove those metaphorical sticks from your metaphysical bums and start having some fun!

These are still the glory days, I hesitate to imagine how gloomy this place will be when we’re not basking in the glow of four consecutive Grey Cup appearances.

It’s preseason. We like to analyze the minute aspects of the year(s) past, and talk about how we may do things differently. 
It’s like a game in itself, what would you do to make the team perfect? 

You’ve always got such a great grasp of what others should be discussing, I’m curious, what direction would you steer the conversation? 

When the vets are underperforming, loyalty can look like cronyism from an outsiders (new players) perspective.

Totally different line of work, but at my job management catered to a select few senior employees, who in turn performed and got the work done exceptionally well. The culture was very much like “FIFO” when I started there 15 years ago, morale was sky-high pretty much across the board.
As physical work goes, those guys either aged out of being able to do the job well, or got entitled and unhelpful to the guys below them. Management kept catering to “their guys” without opening up the preferential treatment for anyone else coming up. Now it’s a decade later and the place is toxic as hell. 

To me that’s the fine line the club is walking right now and it could go either way yet. It’s the second 6 weeks of the season which will be very telling imo. 

23 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Gbill was my favourite troll poster 

Forgot bout him.

27 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Ha well that ended up being a really smart decision game was brutal after that. 

Makes me miss Tuscaloosa blue, nastynate, plops wife etc. least they were occasionally entertaining. 

I think we have reason to be optimistic that it’ll improve this year. It already has some. Fingers crossed it’s better than expected. 

I still have some optimism too...it has initially looked different...and we actually brought in some legit talent..that being scared the injury issues scare the crap out of me into falling right back into that complacency and familiarity thing we leaned on too much...and listening to Osh talk on the Bonfire clip...made me feel even less optometric...I hope some the studs we brought in really push the bar all week and in the home preseason game...and make it impossible not to be kept and push some dead weight either onto the PR or right out the door...if we don't...we will be making a buttload of changes for next yr Grey Cup at home run...and that likely won't end well...make the bulk of the transition now