Dru Brown

18 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

the guy was easily the best QB in the CFL.

Which is true, but says far more about the quality of qbs currently in the cfl than anything else. 

Honestly Brady Oliveira saved collaros' ass last season. If Brady didn't get rolling collaros didn't have the same ability to carry the offense he did a few years ago. 

53 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Which is true, but says far more about the quality of qbs currently in the cfl than anything else. 

Honestly Brady Oliveira saved collaros' ass last season. If Brady didn't get rolling collaros didn't have the same ability to carry the offense he did a few years ago. 

I found Lawler/Schoen were larger factors in bailing him out with amazing catches.     

Zach wasn't bad but he definitely has taken a few steps back in overall play.  I'm not sure if it was a direct result in having lesser pass protection then from a few years ago.  

the thing about Collaros was consistency. He had at least a couple of games where he looked like his old self and tore the other team a new *******.... and then there were games where it looked like time finally caught up with him..... not sure if we can expect more regression, or if it's an aberration...?? 

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

The only area that Zac "regressed" if you wanna call it that is in ball security. He threw up too many 50/50 balls last year. Other than that, the guy was easily the best QB in the CFL. He wasn't out of this world last year, like the two years before, but when we say take a step back it should be put in context. He stepped back from being an almost unanimous MOP to simply being the top QB in the CFL. And to anyone who say 'ya but Chad Kelly", that was all media and the need for a bonafide star in Toronto. Collaros was better by just about every QB metric.

100% agree. He went from run away MOP to should have been MOP but someone was close enough that fatigue voting was relevant.

32 minutes ago, Noeller said:

the thing about Collaros was consistency. He had at least a couple of games where he looked like his old self and tore the other team a new *******.... and then there were games where it looked like time finally caught up with him..... not sure if we can expect more regression, or if it's an aberration...?? 

This is the correct statement. 

I know kids,  I'm scared too. Noeller hit the nail on the head...

39 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Keep him clean and it won't be an issue. 

47 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Is that realistic? Every qb gets hit.

Every QB gets hit sometimes, some more than others. Gotta keep it as low as possible. 

What I meant was it wasn't time catching up to Collaros, it was the number of hits he took last year that was the issue.

7 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

Every QB gets hit sometimes, some more than others. Gotta keep it as low as possible. 

What I meant was it wasn't time catching up to Collaros, it was the number of hits he took last year that was the issue.

Fingers crossed agree with you on this one. 🙂

imho ZC has earned that bolded statement of yours.

52 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

To my eye some of the hits he took were his own doing hesitating.

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

To my eye some of the hits he took were his own doing hesitating.

Fair enough. He does like to hold on to the ball to make the big play. 

Taking more hits can lead to hesitating and taking even more hits. 

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Is that realistic? Every qb gets hit.

Don’t need to be flawless, but we need to greatly limit the hard hits, and extend the pocket. He can take a hit still, he just needs to not have the pocket pushed onto his lap and get hit as he is throwing on a regular basis. 

1 hour ago, blue85gold said:

Led to a fair number of fumbles as well, as a few time he tried to reverse direction and ran right into a defender who stripped him of the ball.

ZC didnt take a step back...the extra hits...and appearance of being slower to process...was his stubborn nature toget it all in one shot....he went away from the more surgical carving up of teams and reaping the rewards of the bigshots being there from teams trying to adjust...he gets back to that he will be just fine...his seeming to have happy feet, and being spooked in the pocket was a result of that bad tendancy he got in...and is easily fixed.  He then a lot of times foced things he shouldn't have, and you know damn well both he and coaches know this...easily fixed...and sure has been already.

Brown...still not sold on him, and we are just fine with ZC and Strev...probably even better. Strev when his time comes...will turn out to be the better starter than Brown when all said and done...Wish him well, but he in  pretty precarious spot in OTT and can see a world of ugly coming from there...and not all his fault but don't think he has the chops to over come it...and can see him getting smacked arouind a lot there...frustrated....and forcing things and looking very much like a first time starter

I also am on the side of due to his build/body type he takes a beating and it will affect his play...and likely injury woes.....guess we shall see

speaking of Ottawa Redblack QBs, I'm curious to see how Tyree Adams does in 2024.  He looked like he knew what he was doing in his one game against the Elks last year (although yeah the Elks made a lot of quarterbacks look good last year.) 

No picks, moved around well, found the open man downfield.  He's a beanpole, though.  6'2" and 185lbs. 

8 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Brown wasn't a rookie. In fact, if memory serves me you were on the board talking about how he should never take another snap after his rookie year and absolutely horrible showing.

Sometimes we all have bad takes.

I was on the fence with Collaros vs Brown. I see an argument for keeping both. I'm more inclined to Collaros as he's been there done that. But I'd be lying if I said he didn't regress a bit. He got happy feet often. Forced throws, especially deep. And was late on more than a few occasions with his deep throws leading to contested catches/ints etc. saying all that... all of that with the exception of happy feet have been complaints of mine about his game since 2019. 

He's not perfect....but...he's still my Quarterback!!

When I say rookie, I'm saying it in the sense that Brown's still green & inexperienced. Brown's now expected to walk in at TC & be The Guy. he'll suddenly have the entire weight of the team on his shoulders. which he didn't have in Winnipeg. he'll be expected to perform from Day 1 despite learning a brand new offense. Trouble is, he won't be in as good of an offensive system as he was in Winnipeg. His line blocking won't be as good. The run game won't be as strong although they have a back who finished with barely a thousand yards. Receiving corps isn't as good as ours despite having Rhymes from BC. He'll need to put his Big Boy pants on. We saw what happened to others in his place. Ottawa is where quarterbacks go to die.

41 minutes ago, Booch said:

ZC didnt take a step back...the extra hits...and appearance of being slower to process...was his stubborn nature toget it all in one shot....he went away from the more surgical carving up of teams and reaping the rewards of the bigshots being there from teams trying to adjust...he gets back to that he will be just fine...his seeming to have happy feet, and being spooked in the pocket was a result of that bad tendancy he got in...and is easily fixed.  He then a lot of times foced things he shouldn't have, and you know damn well both he and coaches know this...easily fixed...and sure has been already.

Brown...still not sold on him, and we are just fine with ZC and Strev...probably even better. Strev when his time comes...will turn out to be the better starter than Brown when all said and done...Wish him well, but he in  pretty precarious spot in OTT and can see a world of ugly coming from there...and not all his fault but don't think he has the chops to over come it...and can see him getting smacked arouind a lot there...frustrated....and forcing things and looking very much like a first time starter

I also am on the side of due to his build/body type he takes a beating and it will affect his play...and likely injury woes.....guess we shall see

With Schoen & Lawler, Zach developed a tendency to Go Big on a lot of passing plays. As you say, if he gets back to getting rid of the ball quickly but still stretching the defense downfield with a  few deep shots then he should be fine.

8 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Speed is our resident happy guy. Didn't you know?

Hey Noeller, for a guy who's supposedly blocked me, I see that I'm still in your head. Constantly. 24/7/365. You know it Noeller. I am your worst nightmare. Somebody please be a **** disturber & copy this so he can read it..

giphy.webp?cid=790b76119h25n6gl0abl9qs6x

2 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

Led to a fair number of fumbles as well, as a few time he tried to reverse direction and ran right into a defender who stripped him of the ball.

The Loins game where Yosh didn't ride his guy to the outside is one i remember... DE cut back in and was right there when Zach turned back and was stripsacked.

8 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Hey Noeller, for a guy who's supposedly blocked me, I see that I'm still in your head. Constantly. 24/7/365. You know it Noeller. I am your worst nightmare. Somebody please be a **** disturber & copy this so he can read it..

giphy.webp?cid=790b76119h25n6gl0abl9qs6x

My kids are watching Harry Potter now. I forgot how good Alan Rickman was.

23 hours ago, blue85gold said:

Signing Strev and putting more packages in for the big man than what we did with Dru Brown last year I would think will help with ZC's health/play/focus this coming season.

At least that's the hope I would think. I can't see Strev standing on the sideline with hat on backwards with clipboard as much as we saw with Dru Brown.

On 2024-03-07 at 1:23 PM, 17to85 said:

I'd have rolled the dice with streveler and brown personally but might not have been an option. Feel better letting brown go assuming we keep streveler anyway. Collaros has a year or two left IMO before he needs to be replaced.

But if you had rolled the dice and it hadn't worked the price would be seeing an unnamed poster bemoan your poor roster management every day until the end of time. Is it worth the risk?

57 minutes ago, brett_c_b said:

But if you had rolled the dice and it hadn't worked the price would be seeing an unnamed poster bemoan your poor roster management every day until the end of time. Is it worth the risk?

Well, you can talk about a certain poster bemoaning the roster all you like but the reality is Osh wouldn't have released or traded Zach away & keptvBrown. So, wishing for something like that is like trying to find pixie dust as it would have never happened. The Bombers had no intention of bringing Dru back. Walters & Osh set their sites on signing Streveler. Even though Brown went to FA, got a raise & a chance to start in Ottawa, the Bombers actually dropped him.

It’s all based on the always-overlooked key (imo main key) to Defensive Football. 
Pressure up the middle. 
It can make an all star QB look like trash out of nowhere on any given play. 

Our interior o-line wasn’t very good in pass pro all last season and part of 2022. 

Edited by JohnnyAbonny

15 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Well, you can talk about a certain poster bemoaning the roster all you like but the reality is Osh wouldn't have released or traded Zach away & keptvBrown. So, wishing for something like that is like trying to find pixie dust as it would have never happened. The Bombers had no intention of bringing Dru back. Walters & Osh set their sites on signing Streveler. Even though Brown went to FA, got a raise & a chance to start in Ottawa, the Bombers actually dropped him.

I'm not sure what you're trying to infer but it wasn't the Bombers decision to drop Brown, he  clearly chose to leave the team for better opportunity and money elsewhere and advised the team of his intentions at the end of last season.  If Strev. hadn't agreed to play for almost QB minimum they wouldn't have been able to sign either of them.  Strev. is likely to do the same as Brown at the end of this season, if presented a decent opportunity he will leave to pursue it.  I don't think he'll stick around long enough to become the Bombers future QB.

Edited by Fatty Liver