2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

22 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Drummond played parts of 8 seasons and was a primary back for the Argos in 2 seasons, Lions in 1.  Otherwise shared the backfield.

Not a CFL HOFer.

Sure, a part timer who scored 78 touchdowns & had over 10,000 all purpose yards. Uh, huh. 

16 hours ago, Noeller said:

I think it's more about his work coaching minor football in BC, but still... In terms of media, I'd have Tait and Irving in there before him. Just because you're regional and not national shouldn't have any bearing.

Yeah but it kinda does. 

1 hour ago, Mike said:

No interest in Menard. I’d rather we go three American rotation off the edges and rotate Canadians in the one DT spot, with Hubert maybe filling an emergency role as a guy who could take a snap or two anywhere. 

Makonzo is a guy I’d be interested in, pending knowledge of why he was released in Edmonton. If he just got lost in the wash there after his injury, bring him in. If it was anything personality related, no thanks.

I'd take Menard at Bennett's salary if he really wants to keep playing.  He's a pretty good fit as the kind of guy who can pass rush from interior too.  Bennett can't do much.  See what Hubert looks like in camp.  We could really use a National/Global guy who can be useful on special teams and take some snaps off the edge.  Bennett is neither.

Gotta imagine a few teams would be after Makonzo again provided his expectations are low in terms of where he would slot in.  Gives some cover at WIL and SAM plus special teams.

6 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Sure, a part timer who scored 78 touchdowns & had over 10,000 all purpose yards. Uh, huh. 

Good player in his time, part of some great teams, not a HOFer.  Just like someone like Ron Williams.  Personally I wouldn't have put Kelvin Anderson either but he was very consistent for a long period.

Wouldn't put Jermaine Copeland in either and he has a ton of numbers.  Just not dominant guys.

Just now, JuranBoldenRules said:

Good player in his time, part of some great teams, not a HOFer.  Just like someone like Ron Williams.  Personally I wouldn't have put Kelvin Anderson either but he was very consistent for a long period.

Wouldn't put Jermaine Copeland in either and he has a ton of numbers.  Just not dominant guys.

I respectfully disagree with you on Drummond. Four Grey Cup victories. The 2000 GC MOP. What jumps out to me are his TD numbers with 78. That means Drummond was on the field all the time. He wasn't a situational player. He was an every down back. There aren't many players in the history of the CFL who scored that many touchdowns.  There are more like Pinball, Reed & others but that is a ton of TDs Drummond scored. You may not agree which is fine. You're entitled to your opinion. To me, he is a Hall of Famer. 

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I respectfully disagree with you on Drummond. Four Grey Cup victories. The 2000 GC MOP. What jumps out to me are his TD numbers with 78. That means Drummond was on the field all the time. He wasn't a situational player. He was an every down back. There aren't many players in the history of the CFL who scored that many touchdowns.  There are more like Pinball, Reed & others but that is a ton of TDs Drummond scored. You may not agree which is fine. You're entitled to your opinion. To me, he is a Hall of Famer. 

Four grey cup victories means nothing to me... Stegall has zero ...  it's meaningless.  

Drummond is a fringe HOFer...  for a few seasons he was oustanding... the other seasons he was platooning and not "The Guy".    He probably should go in... but only if that year has weak candidates who are also on the fringe.   

55 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Four grey cup victories means nothing to me... Stegall has zero ...  it's meaningless.  

Drummond is a fringe HOFer...  for a few seasons he was oustanding... the other seasons he was platooning and not "The Guy".    He probably should go in... but only if that year has weak candidates who are also on the fringe.   

Name another fringe player who had 6700 fringe yards rushing & 4000 fringe yards receiving & scored 78 fringe tds? I doubt that you can. The other fringe players must have at least or better than ten thousand all purpose yards & nearly 80 tds during their career, so good luck.

As far as championships go, just because Milt never had one, doesn't mean it's meaningless. What about when the debate turns to all time greats at qb, the lack of or the number of Super Bowl or Grey Cup wins is always front & center, if it's not important? After all, (mostly younger) fans say that Brady was better than Montana & is the all time GOAT becausse he won 7 Super Bowls & Montana 4. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Drummond only had 3 - 1000 yard seasons... never lead the league in running only an all star 3 times.    First 3 seasons won the Grey cup as a back up in Baltimore/two seasons with Flutie and the Argos.   Went to BC and platooned with Millington where he was usually the 2nd choice.    Solid B+ level player but never elite.    A product of playing on some amazing teams during an era when people were racking up insane yards. 

13 hours ago, Brandon said:

Drummond only had 3 - 1000 yard seasons... never lead the league in running only an all star 3 times.    First 3 seasons won the Grey cup as a back up in Baltimore/two seasons with Flutie and the Argos.   Went to BC and platooned with Millington where he was usually the 2nd choice.    Solid B+ level player but never elite.    A product of playing on some amazing teams during an era when people were racking up insane yards. 

No way would he be the second choice, and I don’t even think he played with Millington.

You’re thinking Cory Philpot, who was never the second back either. Sean Millington was a fullback, he wasn’t 1A over anybody. 

Is it the Hall of Fame,  or the Hall of Longevity?

If Kelvin Anderson is in, Robert Drummond should be too. Drummond was the more dominant back. 

41 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

No way would he be the second choice, and I don’t even think he played with Millington.

You’re thinking Cory Philpot, who was never the second back either. Sean Millington was a fullback, he wasn’t 1A over anybody. 

If Kelvin Anderson is in, Robert Drummond should be too. Drummond was the more dominant back. 

They played together 2 years. In which time drummond put up 1632 rush yards to millingtons 1815. Both put up about 10k yards from scrimmage in their career. Anderson put up almost 10,000 yards just with rushing. Anderson out rushed drummond by 2200+ yards in the same amount of years. All 8 years over 1000 yards. Anderson had 3 years where he beat drummonds career high in rushing yards, and anderson only broke 1k twice Once, just barely as well. Anderson had another 3200 yards recieving. 

Combine durmmond and millington and you have a career better than anderson, either alone is pretty comparable but nothing even close to anderson. 

24 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Que the 5 3down articles about him coming back

Who will be the prime destination I wonder. Riders for click bait? Hamilton is the team that could use him the most imo. 

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Who will be the prime destination I wonder. Riders for click bait? Hamilton is the team that could use him the most imo. 

Agree, Hamilton is a QB away from being a scary team.

As much as I hate them, I’d love to see Rourke in Calgary. They need a marketable player like that to save their franchise. As an organization, they’re pretty hooped right now.  

8 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

They played together 2 years. In which time drummond put up 1632 rush yards to millingtons 1815. Both put up about 10k yards from scrimmage in their career. Anderson put up almost 10,000 yards just with rushing. Anderson out rushed drummond by 2200+ yards in the same amount of years. All 8 years over 1000 yards. Anderson had 3 years where he beat drummonds career high in rushing yards, and anderson only broke 1k twice Once, just barely as well. Anderson had another 3200 yards recieving. 

Combine durmmond and millington and you have a career better than anderson, either alone is pretty comparable but nothing even close to anderson. 

Damn. Stats don’t lie I guess, really thought I remembered Drummond being the guy that teams game planned around. I remember him making a lot of big plays on like 2nd and 2 when the whole country knew he was getting the ball. 

I still say Anderson was slightly overrated. Piled a lot of stats running the ball when the stamps were up big in games. 

15 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Agree, Hamilton is a QB away from being a scary team.

As much as I hate them, I’d love to see Rourke in Calgary. They need a marketable player like that to save their franchise. As an organization, they’re pretty hooped right now.  

Damn. Stats don’t lie I guess, really thought I remembered Drummond being the guy that teams game planned around. I remember him making a lot of big plays on like 2nd and 2 when the whole country knew he was getting the ball. 

I still say Anderson was slightly overrated. Piled a lot of stats running the ball when the stamps were up big in games. 

I don't think they have a chance with their current room either. The als won with fajardo but he would be huge for them. Mr 6 pick 7 sack vaj would be a target as well back in bc. I feel like itll be hyped into ssk and toronto, though I don't think he will be back this year by any chance. 

Diesel had one big year and I feel like teams tried too bank on him being that guy but he never managed to repeat it. 

He did, but we did the same with brady, blink, and harris. Thats kind of the nature of RB in the cfl imo. 

23 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

This would be terrible. Reward them for being incompetent and lazy. They would be the Oilers of the CFL. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Drummond was crazy good on the Flutie Argo teams.  Other than that, basically an above average American back.

Rourke will go the pr 'forever route' down south until clubs get tired of picking him up...Some guys are stubborn to the point of stupidity as far as their career is concerned...The money is up here....especially with BC who were prepared to start talking with him in the half million dollar range....Matters not though as he has the american stars and stripes in his eyes....his choice