2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

I think what’s unique about the riders is the volume of creeps they’ve had. Even over 10 and 15 years to Trevis smith. Stack them up over that time and compare it to the rest of the league. 
 Athletes especially in football frequently come from bad situations, and are prone to having varied legal issues. Every one has a guy now and then. And some of them are really awful. When it happens on a regular basis with one team though it’s different. 

In the case of Harris and lawler, we broke the news and acted quickly as an organization. Which never seems to be the approach from the riders. Even when their guy refuses a piss test, accosts the tester and runs away. Kelly’s ass was grass as soon as it happened too, though we were looking for an excuse to can that turd imo. 

Yes exactly right. An organization can only do so much to control the behavior of their players, however, how they respond and react to that situation is 100% in their control. The Riders have been god awful in those situations and it may hurt some sensibilities around here, but the vast majority of their fan base was totally on board the whole time.

Edited by GCn20

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

Has Kelly been convicted yet or admitted guilt?   I am not a fan of the guy but I wouldn't quite call him a criminal until proven guilty.    I wouldn't expect the Argonauts to go public about something that isn't out of the realm of possibility of being a complete lie.     More information (or a court case) would be needed before truly reserving judgement. 

Now with Kenny Lawler it's black and white... the dude was caught drunk driving.  Not much needed in that for proven guilt.  

The news broke less than a week ago... you're expecting some sort of resolution already??

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Yes exactly right. An organization can only do so much to control the behavior of their players, however, how they respond and react to that situation is 100% in their control. The Riders have been god awful in those situations and it may hurt some sensibilities around here, but the vast majority of their fan base was totally on board the whole time.

Look - if you're going to keep posting this stuff - keep the hyperbole out of it. Or don't post.

17 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Look - if you're going to keep posting this stuff - keep the hyperbole out of it. Or don't post.

Fine. I don't see any hyperbole in that post at all...but you're the boss. I feel there is nothing untrue or exaggerated in that post whatsoever. Can you at least point me in the direction of what your objection to it is?

Edited by GCn20

26 minutes ago, bearpants said:

The news broke less than a week ago... you're expecting some sort of resolution already??

This is my point,  we can't call the guy a scumbag criminal when so little of the facts is known.   Same goes with the club.      Unless he has admitted  guilt.   

6 minutes ago, Brandon said:

This is my point,  we can't call the guy a scumbag criminal when so little of the facts is known.   Same goes with the club.      Unless he has admitted  guilt.   

This is true. It is all hyperbole at this point.

46 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Your basing this on what.

There was an online petition with thousands of signatures for the CFL to overturn Marino's suspension, the call in shows were flooded with comments about it, their forum was heavily supporting Marino with just the odd dissenter. Not much different than a political poll, it's not possible to speak to every Rider fan but based on what is out there in terms of reaction from across various online sources in the sample size my statement holds pretty accurate.

Edited by GCn20

25 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Fine. I don't see any hyperbole in that post at all...but you're the boss. I feel there is nothing untrue or exaggerated in that post whatsoever. Can you at least point me in the direction of what your objection to it is?

The majority of Rider fans...

Most people prefer not to comment on stuff like this. Those who comment on a forum, will be in support of the team and the player. It's just the nature of fan forums. But that's not the majority of fans. 

6 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

The majority of Rider fans...

Most people prefer not to comment on stuff like this. Those who comment on a forum, will be in support of the team and the player. It's just the nature of fan forums. But that's not the majority of fans. 

Fair enough. I will set up my context more carefully next time to designate that it is the majority of fans on their forums and online groups.

Edited by GCn20

14 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Fair enough. I will set up my context more carefully next time to designate that it is the majority of fans on their forums and online groups.

That would be cool.

I have met many rider fans and everyone of them good folk who are awesome fans of their team and the CFL in general. This is why I take umbrage when people make sweeping statements about a fanbase.  

34 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I thought it was Mitch that he swore at.

I think it was to Bob about something Mitch said. I remember hearing “That’s bullshit Bob” but I could be wrong. 

Ngl, Zalnasky would have been easier to swear at 

Edited by JohnnyAbonny

3 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I think it was to Bob about something Mitch said. I remember hearing “That’s bullshit Bob” but I could be wrong. 

Ngl, Zalnasky would have been easier to swear at 

The Alouettes’ 48-13 destruction of the Bombers proved if there was any lingering doubt about the former’s vulnerability, it was premature at best. Meanwhile, it was a stark reminder of just how bad the Bombers, now 7-10 in a wildly uneven season, can be on any given Sunday.

And that doesn’t just include the offence — or the players, either.

Because no sooner had the stinkage settled than Winnipeg rookie head coach Mike Kelly decided it would be the perfect time to remind all those fans he’s alienated during his rocky tenure why they’re not buying tickets anymore — and proceed to tear into Hall of Fame broadcaster Bob Irving on CJOB’s post-game show.

Kelly was apparently angered by the attempts of Irving and colour man Mitch Zalnasky to explain why the Bombers could be so flat and ineffective. Perhaps they were looking ahead to the Nov. 8 regular-season finale death-match with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

“I’m tellin’ ya, we were focused in on this game and that’s the only thing we were focused in on,” Kelly snapped. “It’s just media bullshit talking about anything else.”

When Irving mildly protested, “it just didn’t look like you were focused, I’m not saying you weren’t focused,” a peeved Kelly spat: “Don’t tell me we were or were not focused. This team came out and played. Period.”

Then Kelly hung up. Irving was speechless.

Talk about getting your panties in a ball.

Irving called Kelly’s tirade “juvenile” and “rude” and perhaps the worst interview he’s had in almost four decades on the air.

Kelly reverts to vulgar self – Winnipeg Free Press

5 hours ago, Brandon said:

Has Kelly been convicted yet or admitted guilt?   I am not a fan of the guy but I wouldn't quite call him a criminal until proven guilty.    I wouldn't expect the Argonauts to go public about something that isn't out of the realm of possibility of being a complete lie.     More information (or a court case) would be needed before truly reserving judgement. 

Now with Kenny Lawler it's black and white... the dude was caught drunk driving.  Not much needed in that for proven guilt.  

He's not on criminal trial here but he's been convicted twice criminally in the US.

So technically calling him a criminal is truthful.

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

Particularly because this isn't a criminal matter...

1 hour ago, bluto said:

Particularly because this isn't a criminal matter...

Actually the harassment alone could net him a summary criminal conviction. Plus uttering threats (which he’s plead to before, said he was going to get his AK and spray this place up.) also making threats involving that type of assault can be grounds for a criminal conviction. 
 Imop it is not normally likely for those charges to be brought. BUT, due to his history and public standing a crown prosecutor could well choose to use him to send a message / make a name for them self. 

8 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Actually the harassment alone could net him a summary criminal conviction. Plus uttering threats (which he’s plead to before, said he was going to get his AK and spray this place up.) also making threats involving that type of assault can be grounds for a criminal conviction. 
 Imop it is not normally likely for those charges to be brought. BUT, due to his history and public standing a crown prosecutor could well choose to use him to send a message / make a name for them self. 

But until charges have been pressed...it's all just word salad.