2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

20 minutes ago, Jesse said:

It does not have any direct bearing, other than the fact that there was a post-Christmas lull and now things seem to be picking up again.

Walters will need time to get other players under contract and/or figure put replacement plans and we still seem to be in a holding pattern. Probably can't let it go on too much longer. 

I understand the reasoning on wait on Schoen, but he may be the more difficult sign. I can't help but think he's going to have a few teams bidding higher than we can reasonably expect to compete with. 

Thats true. Though honestly ratio breaking young nis have brought silly money too. Like desjarlais. Though he’s the one guy I wish we would’ve over paid for now. 

10 minutes ago, JCon said:

Must have some DL coming up from down south. Get cheaper and younger on the line. 

Or it’s just his constant over confidence in his ability to replace dl. 
 To me it’s more interesting that Toronto has gone after ceresna. Excellent dl for sure but they are deep and have a bunch of front 7 free agents. Makes me think they expect to lose multiple guys. 

18 minutes ago, Jesse said:

It does not have any direct bearing, other than the fact that there was a post-Christmas lull and now things seem to be picking up again.

Walters will need time to get other players under contract and/or figure put replacement plans and we still seem to be in a holding pattern. Probably can't let it go on too much longer. 

I understand the reasoning on wait on Schoen, but he may be the more difficult sign. I can't help but think he's going to have a few teams bidding higher than we can reasonably expect to compete with. 

They might be in a bit of a holding pattern (at least publicly) but Walters has already stated that they might have move on to other guys so they are aware the clock is ticking.  And it's not like they can't/wouldn't start talking to other guys in the mean time, even if no deal is finalized/announced yet.

21 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Shocked Chris Jones makes that move.

Dude on RF suggested CJ went out and got MBTs favourite receiver- makes sense since they had great chemistry when they played together. And CJ is usually always able to find a stud d lineman.

6 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Excellent dl for sure but they are deep and have a bunch of front 7 free agents. Makes me think they expect to lose multiple guys. 

Hendrix! C'MON DOWN TO WINNIPEG!

Edited by Wanna-B-Fanboy

Just now, Noeller said:

woulda loved to have had Ceresna, but I'm sure as **** not giving up Demski to get him....

We just came through a season where our highest paid receiver was (by and large) not a factor in our 16-2 record. And he had a lingering hip injury. And his salary was comparable to the guy we got for him.

Makes sense from our perspective. With Ceresna in, I suppose this means that either or both of Oakman or Hendrix won't be back.

I wish KGJ a prosperous reunion with MBT.

48 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Dude on RF suggested CJ went out and got MBTs favourite receiver- makes sense since they had great chemistry when they played together. And CJ is usually always able to find a stud d lineman.

Hendrix! C'MON DOWN TO WINNIPEG!

That’d be tight. 

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

Farhan figures the Riders are about to steal a bunch of players from TO....

Dl! That’ll fix the riders! Hahaha! I mean it was their weakness last year right lol. 

6 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Dl! That’ll fix the riders! Hahaha! I mean it was their weakness last year right lol. 

O'Day to Mace:  Just focus on recruiting your best defensive players from Toronto. Don't worry about the O-Line, I've got it covered, it's my area of expertise after all!

Trevor Harris: WTF? 

4 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Ceresna is a damned find defensive lineman... but geeze not sure I give up a good young Canadian player for him.... 

I thought the value was interesting as well. Cgjr was disappointing last year. Ceresna is in the top tier of dts in the league. Would I trade woli for him?(if he wasn’t a pending fa) yeah I would. And I love woli. I’d probably trade any of our ni ol Cept Eli maybe Dobson too. I’d trade Kramdi, and any one of our ni defensive guys. 
 I wonder if this is edm being crazy, tor selling high on gittens, or if this is the value right now for top end dts and ni starters. I mean if that’s his value, what would Brady be worth in a trade? 

18 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I thought the value was interesting as well. Cgjr was disappointing last year. Ceresna is in the top tier of dts in the league. Would I trade woli for him?(if he wasn’t a pending fa) yeah I would. And I love woli. I’d probably trade any of our ni ol Cept Eli maybe Dobson too. I’d trade Kramdi, and any one of our ni defensive guys. 
 I wonder if this is edm being crazy, tor selling high on gittens, or if this is the value right now for top end dts and ni starters. I mean if that’s his value, what would Brady be worth in a trade? 

Gittens isn't wolli though. He's a younger Demski with IMO a higher ceiling. Solid move by Jones.

Gittens was/is no slouch and Jones finally did something right....For value , Elks win this one....Ceressna is an off and on player....looks good on a rush and then disappears....TO is definitely going to have to swing more deals, as their former D coach is going to scalp them...I wonder if we're having a good look at their roster and contemplating a move???

23 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Gittens isn't wolli though. He's a younger Demski with IMO a higher ceiling. Solid move by Jones.

When he’s the no1 target down field and woli is the 5th he’s more productive. Imo if they both got the same offensive role I think woli would out perform him. And he has the versatility to be a great blocker at the line or down field. 
 Cgjr is a good wr idk who id compare him to. Demski is tough because he’s a converted rb who could play rb in the cfl from all we’ve seen. He’s the best jet motion guy in the league, the best blocker down field, and a great wr. Idk who compares skill wise to Demski.

20 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

When he’s the no1 target down field and woli is the 5th he’s more productive. Imo if they both got the same offensive role I think woli would out perform him. And he has the versatility to be a great blocker at the line or down field. 
 Cgjr is a good wr idk who id compare him to. Demski is tough because he’s a converted rb who could play rb in the cfl from all we’ve seen. He’s the best jet motion guy in the league, the best blocker down field, and a great wr. Idk who compares skill wise to Demski.

I think the closest comparison to Demski is Begelton, both are tough, elusive and good at accumulating YAC.

21 minutes ago, bluto said:

Just pointing out: the Argos have Brissett, Nield and Ungerer.

We were stacked with Canadian receivers.

It’s true, the trade makes roster sense for the Argos. Does look like they are losing guys in fa which is expected. I really like the trade for the Argos. 

10 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Good trade for both teams,  good on them! 

The financial savings might also be a real factor for Edmonton too. Mbts pay has to be cleared and ceresna was one of the top dl in terms of pay. 

15 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

It’s true, the trade makes roster sense for the Argos. Does look like they are losing guys in fa which is expected. I really like the trade for the Argos. 

The financial savings might also be a real factor for Edmonton too. Mbts pay has to be cleared and ceresna was one of the top dl in terms of pay

Not sure 2k is all that great of savings.

Ceresna is making $212,000 vs the $210,000 for KGJ (who also is due a $55k bonus in a couple weeks as part of that).

6 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Brissett had a nice year last season and Nield had a nice stretch of games later in the season. 

Nield was very good to end the year, likely what made Gittens more expendable.

Count me in the group that thinks the Elks win this trade as of now though. Ceresna, while good, I’m not sure has the same value.