2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Is it me or is the Valour experiment something that should be ended? Just seems like a monetary money pit.

Being 5.7 million in the black during a non GC hosting year is fantastic.

I think the club agrees with the assessment on Valour based on these last few paragraphs in Tait's article

There is one downside the financial report with Valour FC, the Canadian Premier League team operated by the Winnipeg Football Club, having recorded a loss of $1.25 million. There have also been rumours since last fall of the team being for sale.

“It’s the same thing I said a year ago,” said Miller of Valour’s situation. “We’re going to do everything we can to make this team successful and profitable in our city. You can see already some of the changes we’ve made for this year.

“We’re making changes to find ways to get better results on the field with new hirings in soccer operations and coaching and have dedicated two sales reps specifically to Valour. We must get the attendance back up to an average of over 5,000 and find a way to make this successful going forward.”

I personally couldn't think of any CFL players, former/present who played defense that got into trouble for cannabis related "crimes" while also struggling academically, who then became a star or hell even a HOF player. That has never happened.....there are also exactly zero CFL players who currently consume large amounts of cannabis during the season.....that also never happens....I've never personally seen all star players in cannabis shops purchasing products that are meant to be inhaled....not me....no sir....the CFL would never put up with those dope users.

Edited by Bigblue204

16 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I personally couldn't think of any CFL players, former/present who played defense that got into trouble for cannabis related "crimes" while also struggling academically, who then became a star or hell even a HOF player. That has never happened.....there are also exactly zero CFL players who currently consume large amounts of cannabis during the season.....that also never happens....I've never personally seen all star players in cannabis shops purchasing products that are meant to be inhaled....not me....no sir....the CFL would never put up with those dope users.

wrong....soooo wrong....hahaha...or is that arcasm?...I'm thinking it may be after rrading it a second time....if so....carry on....I was just speed reading stuff as I am in and out of here fast for most part

Also in regards to measureables and combine numbers/reported numbers...take all with grain of salt...especialy 40 times....Straight line speed with no ball in your hands, or a target you are pursuinf doesn't really mean a lot....what you do with a ball....in and out of breaks...or that extra gear when fluidly running...thats where you look...same with d-line...first step...how and where they place and use hands in regard to that...and who has a real good tilt...thats where u find your speed demons off the edge

Edited by Booch

56 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Is it me or is the Valour experiment something that should be ended? Just seems like a monetary money pit.

$1.25M goes a  long way for the Bombers. They are also extra wear and tear on the field. 

The league in general just doesn’t seem worth the hassle. Soccer fans (and some will claim there are a lot) don’t exist or don’t show up. 

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

People don’t even call weed pot anymore. Last time I heard it called pot was 25 years ago and by people who have no clue. You’re quite ignorant on the subject it appears tho and pretty much don’t have a clue. 

Gateway drug.

That sums up my childhood and what was hammered into our heads. 🙂

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

It's done after this season.  A big chunk of that league will be gone.  Will basically be a GTA and Vancouver/Victoria league.  The model they are working under makes it impossible for the league to grow.  It's part of the whole Canada Soccer fiasco.

44 minutes ago, Booch said:

wrong....soooo wrong....hahaha...or is that arcasm?...I'm thinking it may be after rrading it a second time....if so....carry on....I was just speed reading stuff as I am in and out of here fast for most part

Also in regards to measureables and combine numbers/reported numbers...take all with grain of salt...especialy 40 times....Straight line speed with no ball in your hands, or a target you are pursuinf doesn't really mean a lot....what you do with a ball....in and out of breaks...or that extra gear when fluidly running...thats where you look...same with d-line...first step...how and where they place and use hands in regard to that...and who has a real good tilt...thats where u find your speed demons off the edge

Willie Jefferson says your are wrong about pot use in the CFL. It was second hand smoke....honest....lmao.

18 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Gateway drug.

That sums up my childhood and what was hammered into our heads. 🙂

Ronnie Reagan had to make sure he had some reason for the "war on drugs".

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

katena-sarcasm-tbv-sarcasm.gif

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

I thought the Charles Roberts plan was red bull, smokes, hotdogs, strip clubs and weed?

I’ve heard he liked something stronger. 

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

People don’t even call weed pot anymore. Last time I heard it called pot was 25 years ago and by people who have no clue. You’re quite ignorant on the subject it appears tho and pretty much don’t have a clue. 

The term  Pot heads was cool 26 years ago when this movie came out!  :D     

2 hours ago, bluedawg said:

Few things: Draft Scout is THE real reliable source for pro day numbers. They get it straight from NFL scouts. Anything posted anywhere else that is claiming different information is incorrect. Sometimes even the schools that post results on twitter will get it wrong because they use their own times but draft scout has the real info.

Also, every single pro day vertical is run by NFL scouts and the players are not allowed to take a step or even wiggle their feet before the jump. They get two opportunities to jump from a standstill position and the best number of those two is marked down.

Agree with you that vertical and broad jump, which are measures of lower body explosiveness, are more translatable to success in the trenches than 40-time!!!

NFL draft page is the reliable page. Ds isn’t, unless it’s a draft prospect. They default to claimed times and don’t indicated official verifiable times. 

At big schools sure. But not at average schools. Do you know how many medium and small schools have a pro day each year? You’re talking north of 360 just in d1, at the same time of year. On top of that some atheltes and groups run their own pro days. You’d be stunned how many actually happen each year, we’re talking north of 500. Some juco, hs, and bush leagues even run pro day type events, though often aimed at d1 schools. Some of the position, and athletic testing/training camps have been doing them as well. 
 I heard a horror story of an arena league team doing a combine at their try out day where they used yard sticks and foot over foot methods and a cell phone to time sprints. 
 Lots of schools will gas up their major young guys tell them they ran or jumped some thing crazy in spring too. 

I don’t love a lot of the sprints, it’s hard to get an idea of a runner based on 10 20 40 times. The 40 was invented to only test guys for their ability to cover punts. Then later used for WRs to measure deep routes. 
 The broad and vert aren’t as mechanically demanding as high and triple jumps. If any thing I’d love to see a time measurement added to broad and verts, as well as vert splits for no step 1 step 2 step and runway vert. The nba has long separated guys ability to jump with no gather Vs steps. Football could really learn from that. 

22 hours ago, wbbfan said:

You mean 80% of the pro sports athletes in North America? 
 Idc about the weed what so ever. More worrisome when a guy red shirts for academic reasons to me. If you can’t find and stick to the mail it in courses in football schools that’s scary. Though even that I think is over rated. I hate the ncaa development system for sports. It’s soo broken and out of place it’s not even funny. 

Remember when we had a db pop for mdma a couple years back? Better than that too. I’m pretty sure his reaction would’ve been oh crap they test for none peds? 

The amicable Bruce Johnson!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT96vzooMgFY7yKYTz-YwU

21 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Free Valour tickets for every purchase of a Bomber ticket. Get people to show up, buy some food, and hopefully fall in love with soccer?

I’d give free tick drink and popcorn to schools and pack games with students. 

the soccer league and team are dead though  even the what ever old guy basketball league we have now has more of a pulse. 

tbh if we are gonna put money and effort into some thing, it should be the bison and rifles  use the ground swell of support to really grow the pipe line with in the province. 

6 minutes ago, Brandon said:

The term  Pot heads was cool 26 years ago when this movie came out!  :D     

Such a good bad movie lol. 

4 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

The amicable Bruce Johnson!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT96vzooMgFY7yKYTz-YwU

Wasnt his defence some thing like he didn’t know it was banned lol. 

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

NFL draft page is the reliable page. Ds isn’t, unless it’s a draft prospect. They default to claimed times and don’t indicated official verifiable times. 

At big schools sure. But not at average schools. Do you know how many medium and small schools have a pro day each year? You’re talking north of 360 just in d1, at the same time of year. On top of that some atheltes and groups run their own pro days. You’d be stunned how many actually happen each year, we’re talking north of 500. Some juco, hs, and bush leagues even run pro day type events, though often aimed at d1 schools. Some of the position, and athletic testing/training camps have been doing them as well. 
 I heard a horror story of an arena league team doing a combine at their try out day where they used yard sticks and foot over foot methods and a cell phone to time sprints. 
 Lots of schools will gas up their major young guys tell them they ran or jumped some thing crazy in spring too. 

I am not just guessing here, I do know how it works. Not every single college team has a pro day, and many schools host combined pro days. It's VERY rare for D-II or lower programs to host their own pro day.

EVERY SINGLE pro day that a college hosts is run by the NFL team that is nearest to them. Even a tiny, small school pro day at a D-II would be run by at least 1 NFL scout from the designated team in that area.

Draft Scout dot com is THE SOURCE for all of the other websites that post pro day numbers. RAS and all the other publicly available metrics openly state that they get their numbers from Draft Scout because it's the only reliable public forum that gets pro day info straight from the NFL.

There is no such thing as an "official" time at a pro day because those numbers are hand-timed by NFL scouts. The only "official" times come from the NFL Combine. Any other "Pro days" or "Combines" that are not hosted by colleges with NFL scouts timing, excluding the CFL Combine, are not legitimate and would not be posted on a site like Draft Scout. 

Hope this was helpful!

30 minutes ago, bluedawg said:

I am not just guessing here, I do know how it works. Not every single college team has a pro day, and many schools host combined pro days. It's VERY rare for D-II or lower programs to host their own pro day.

EVERY SINGLE pro day that a college hosts is run by the NFL team that is nearest to them. Even a tiny, small school pro day at a D-II would be run by at least 1 NFL scout from the designated team in that area.

Draft Scout dot com is THE SOURCE for all of the other websites that post pro day numbers. RAS and all the other publicly available metrics openly state that they get their numbers from Draft Scout because it's the only reliable public forum that gets pro day info straight from the NFL.

There is no such thing as an "official" time at a pro day because those numbers are hand-timed by NFL scouts. The only "official" times come from the NFL Combine. Any other "Pro days" or "Combines" that are not hosted by colleges with NFL scouts timing, excluding the CFL Combine, are not legitimate and would not be posted on a site like Draft Scout. 

Hope this was helpful!

Some of that has been true in the past, and d2/3 have a combined combine day, however even most of those schools and colleges specially the d1 no longer allow grouping of out side players. This has been the case for almost 15 years now. More d2/3 schools have the pro days now that you’d think. 

Ds is not the source, they draw their nfl prospect numbers from the nfl. They take fringe players numbers from all kinds of sources. That why you’ll see huge variances on some guys testing numbers and edits. 

Ras ras also brings all kinds of spurious numbers in. And you can enter data and entrees. 
 Hand times are not reliable. even amongst those with amazing reflexes and expert level execution. I’ve personally seen manual times of professionals range from sub 4.2 to high 4.3 on the same pass. Guys who have never broken 4.5 suddenly running low 4.3s. Doesn’t matter who is timing it when it’s manual. 

2 hours ago, Booch said:

Heavy sarcasm. Lol.

8 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Some of that has been true in the past, and d2/3 have a combined combine day, however even most of those schools and colleges specially the d1 no longer allow grouping of out side players. This has been the case for almost 15 years now. More d2/3 schools have the pro days now that you’d think. 

Ds is not the source, they draw their nfl prospect numbers from the nfl. They take fringe players numbers from all kinds of sources. That why you’ll see huge variances on some guys testing numbers and edits. 

Ras ras also brings all kinds of spurious numbers in. And you can enter data and entrees. 
 Hand times are not reliable. even amongst those with amazing reflexes and expert level execution. I’ve personally seen manual times of professionals range from sub 4.2 to high 4.3 on the same pass. Guys who have never broken 4.5 suddenly running low 4.3s. Doesn’t matter who is timing it when it’s manual. 

With the utmost respect, you are misinformed in several areas here good sir but I have realized that aiming to inform on this topic in an online forum is an exercise in futility. At least we can agree to one thing, go Blue lol

In reading up about combines, the thing is combine results  do appear to have a correlation to how players get drafted, but are very limited in usefulness in regards to actual on field success.

the forty yard dash is mostly relevant to running backs, and actually the first 10 yards of the forty are the most relevant. (which makes sense when you think of dline linebackers etc). The vertical jump is more relevant but even so isn't a good indicator of success.

Teams really should rely on their scouting of games, and game film versus being overly swayed by the combine.

Edited by Pete