2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

4 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Nothing like dancing on a guy’s  grave on his way out with some cheap pot shots and character assassination of a serviceman. Sometimes I agree that Lyin’ Guy wasn’t far off with his “bunch of assholes” comment. Not upset about the cut from a roster point, but the man came in and did whatever was asked of him and did it competently enough, whatever the assessment of the skill of the position or the utility of the roster spot. And he served his country in the military in an elite service branch that makes him deserving at least of thanks and respect instead of mimicry, and makes him as tough if not tougher IMO than any poster on this site, whether they be ex-football player, gym rat, or keyboard comedian wanting to see circus acts or having a laugh at his expense. 

Lighten up. People are just commenting. Nobody cares if you're butthurt. Better be careful who you're calling"assholes"!

Edited by SpeedFlex27

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

Don't know if this has already been mentioned or not, but on "The Huddle" podcast DT said that over the last 3 seasons in the 10 games that Jeffcoat missed that Willie played in, he registered 0 sacks.  He also added Haba had 0 sacks in games Jeffcoat did not play. 

If they can't replace Jeffcoats pass-rush straight up, they're going to have to rely on blitzing combos a whole lot more than anyone wants to see.

I mean maybe there is some confusion but that’s just not right. Habba had 4 sacks while jeffcoat was out last year playing in his place and wj was playing better before jj came back. 
2023 jj missed weeks 1-3 and 5. In weeks 1 and 5 wj had 4 sacks. In weeks 1-3 haba had 1 sack in each game. His 4th came in week 15, which jj missed. 
 That’s 7 sacks with out jj in 4 games for our ends. 

Edited by wbbfan

44 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I mean maybe there is some confusion but that’s just not right. Habba had 4 sacks while jeffcoat was out last year playing in his place and wj was playing better before jj came back. 
2023 jj missed weeks 1-3 and 5. In weeks 1 and 5 wj had 4 sacks. In weeks 1-3 haba had 1 sack in each game. His 4th came in week 15, which jj missed. 

Yeah..I kinda wondered what he was babbling about as Haba started in place of JJ and then couldn't get back on roster when JJ was back cause of a Seal

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

I dunno, take it up with DT, pretty sure that's what he said.

7 minutes ago, Booch said:

Yeah..I kinda wondered what he was babbling about as Haba started in place of JJ and then couldn't get back on roster when JJ was back cause of a Seal

Yep. Habba only played 1 game with jj. 
I get that it’s just a podcast, and I don’t follow any podcasts. But damn it takes next to no effort to be factual in this. 

I love jj, but he’s dependant on others more than the reverse. We need one guy to just go after the qb on a fast aggressive line. That can be any one almost. He’s a guy who gets pressure, but has always struggled to finish. Tbh he and wj are similar in the struggle to finish out sacks. If we had a guy like mauldin you’d see wj on a whole new level. 
 Jj went a full month of games with out a single sack each of the last two years. Both in the middle of the season. 
 He’s a beast when he’s healthy, but combine his running cold on actually getting the qb with missing 1/3 - 1/2 the season every year and it’s just not sustainable. 

the last two years 7 of jj 12 sacks have come against ssk and bc in 6 of his 26 games. With another 2 in 2 games vs edm. That means he had 3 sacks in 18 games against the rest of the league, while bc and ssk had the worst pass pro in the league over the last 2 years. His other sacks came 2 vs mtl in 2 games and 1 vs ott in 1 other.  

4 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

I dunno, take it up with DT, pretty sure that's what he said.

Doesn’t he post on here? 

1 hour ago, Nolby said:

Such a bummer losing Sheed. If you're wanting a guy that works his ass off, someone who motivates and catches some tough passes then, Rasheed is your guy. This one really sucks.

Yeah and he did not want to leave.  On IG today, he acknowledged his time with the team was done but he still can't say goodbye, Winnipeg means too much to him, so it's see you later.  Love that guy. 😞

6 hours ago, Noeller said:

You beat me to it.... All the good drugs.

I'm just mellowing in my advanced age. I really don't want to fight with anyone here anymore but I'll still stand my ground if need be but perhaps do so in a more respectful way. I used to think I knew it all but now I find as I get older that I'm forgetful with player names & circumstances that I used to rattle off so I'm not as smart as I thought I was. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

5 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Yeah and he did not want to leave.  On IG today, he acknowledged his time with the team was done but he still can't say goodbye, Winnipeg means too much to him, so it's see you later.  Love that guy. 😞

We  had Bailey on a pretty cheap deal so anyone who replaces him would be the same or more expensive. Then why get rid of him? I'm really trying to figure out what is going on with the Bombers & free agancy. In the recent history of free agency going back ten years, I don't think I've ever seen a team sign no one. 

47 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

We  had Bailey on a pretty cheap deal so anyone who replaces him would be the same or more expensive. Then why get rid of him? I'm really trying to figure out what is going on with the Bombers & free agancy. In the recent history of free agency going back ten years, I don't think I've ever seen a team sign no one. 

Because a contract is a mutual agreement and Bailey likely won’t get a huge raise but he’s going to get a raise somewhere. He took an $80,000 pay cut last year. He deserves to go out and make his money somewhere. We can’t force him to sign here.

Also worth mentioning: the Bombers haven’t brought in nobody. We’ve signed what could potentially be our next starting QB (and a huge weapon, especially for the weather our current QB struggles so much in) and brought back a potential starting Canadian on defense.

just because they’re names we’ve seen on the back of our jerseys before doesn’t mean they’re not big additions. Those are great additions.

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I think that signing Schoen, and BO are two pretty big fish. Yes, they played here last year but both had hit the open market at the time we re-signed them. I mean it's not too hard to figure out why we didn't go on any kind of a spending spree, look at our roster. Compare it to other teams and you will see a great deal of the high end talent was already here. The top 2-3 teams in the league rarely get better in FA, they are fending off the jackals and hyenas from picking their roster apart. Take a look at TO, and BC who have hemmoraged top end talent in comparison, and only started adding back because they were picked over. We retained the majority of our talent and thus had little need to go splashing around in the overpriced market of FA. That being said Streveler, and Ford are two very big additions as well.

Edited by GCn20

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Because a contract is a mutual agreement and Bailey likely won’t get a huge raise but he’s going to get a raise somewhere. He took an $80,000 pay cut last year. He deserves to go out and make his money somewhere. We can’t force him to sign here.

Exactly. On top of that even if he were to sign a team friendly deal, it would still be more than the minimum. They've clearly planned to have some spots rostered with players making the minimum.

signing some of our own are huge signings....as other teams were prepared to pay a ransom for them....thats not to be understated..those were technically 2 the top free agaents on the market this yr....can't fault us that they were our own guys

As @Mike said...Strev is a huuuge pick up...and dirt cheap...trust me when you see him this spring you will be amazed at his transformation....and he is huge for locker room continuity and keeping the culture chugging.

As much as many liked Brown....he wasn't our future....and Strev this yr is gonna offer a ton...way more than Brown would have

and yup...another huge thing is Ford back...and expect him extended at some point....he offers a ton of value and ability for us to do some different things

if any other team had signed BO...Schoen and Strev for 580k...TOTAL...We would have all said they killed it in free agency....so obviouslywe must have....no?

1 hour ago, Booch said:

signing some of our own are huge signings....as other teams were prepared to pay a ransom for them....thats not to be understated..those were technically 2 the top free agaents on the market this yr....can't fault us that they were our own guys

As @Mike said...Strev is a huuuge pick up...and dirt cheap...trust me when you see him this spring you will be amazed at his transformation....and he is huge for locker room continuity and keeping the culture chugging.

As much as many liked Brown....he wasn't our future....and Strev this yr is gonna offer a ton...way more than Brown would have

and yup...another huge thing is Ford back...and expect him extended at some point....he offers a ton of value and ability for us to do some different things

if any other team had signed BO...Schoen and Strev for 580k...TOTAL...We would have all said they killed it in free agency....so obviouslywe must have....no?

When the really big fish are your own guys it tends to make FA a little dull. I mean we could have been like Toronto and let all our young great players sign elsewhere then be super active in FA trying to fill the crater they leave and declare ourselves FA winners despite getting inferior talent back. I prefer the way Walters did it.

11 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Your one sentence nicely sums it up.

I'm looking forward to the heated battles for spots up for grabs.

For sure. This is the year to do it as well. Walters knows darn well that there are going to be a bumper crop of blue chippers coming into the league this year with the near demise of spring football. Our recruitment will have options not seen in several years, so will every other CFL team. TC cuts around the league are going to be better than they have been in years as well. Should our own recruitment not unearth the next JJ, Ricky Walker or Winston Rose etc. this year will give us options through camp cuts that haven't been there in several years. Walters played this right. 

For instance, think how many teams are set at DE and DT already. There are going to be teams releasing some good recruits at those positions just by virtue of the numbers game.

Edited by GCn20