2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I see we’ve proceeded to the part of the off-season where we forget that replacements for old players don’t cost $0

SPECULATIONSZN

The cap is $5.585 million this year, that’s roughly 125k per spot on the active roster.

people would be horrified if they saw how much Jake Thomas, Jesse Briggs, Shayne Gauthier, etc were making. Hell, did anyone discuss how we’re also paying Cam Lawson about 140k this year? 

Every offseason season... some people on here think that only the Bombers have zero money to spend and that every other team has an endless amount.    

You would think after this many seasons in a row where Walters has done a great job of keeping guys and bringing in guys that they would trust him and the system and would assume that he knows what he is doing.  

8 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I'm definitely good with RedHawk at SAM and not averse to a Hallett at S... I think most of us felt like Kramdi got better and better with each snap. 

No doubt about it as the season went on he got more and more comfortable and he started making plays

5 minutes ago, CodyT said:

Let me to ask to the Dru Brown over Collaros guys, @Mikeyou specifically

Would you rather the group we have now or brown over zc still?

I’m torn because I don’t really know what any of it looks like and I don’t really know what our approach is going to be short term vs long term.

I won’t lie and say I’m a huge believer in Zach at this stage of his career and I certainly don’t believe Streveler is a better pure backup than Dru, but I do have hope that Streveler will bring an element to our offense that will help Zach. It’s a lot of moving parts.

I think if it plays out how I expect it to, I’d want Zach over Dru at this point, but I’m scared that we are going to be in serious trouble at some point if Strevy hasn’t evolved as a passer.

4 hours ago, GCn20 said:

4 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Dammit people c'mon....we signed Chris Freakin Streveler today and we are arguing about Kolo's peanuts contract? Let's gooooooooo......Strev BABY!!!!

100%   Also, could add a little wrinkle to the Wildcat and move Chris Freakin Streveler to Center - problem solved :)

Richmond in for Hardrick is probably one of the easiest decisions we can make as a team. 

People are going to question the effect it may have on the locker room, but if those guys don’t rally around a guy like Richmond finally getting his shot after being on the PR for 4 years (especially with him being about as stand up of a guy as it gets) then that’s on them 

Just now, Noeller said:

feels like Yoshi is a guy that should be a Bomber 4 Life, but what can you do, right? 

He would be.  You can see the passion he plays with and demonstrates it on and off the field.

At some point though, an organization needs to be somewhat ruthless.  I don't want to end up in the CFL hinterlands again .. I want this organization to be respectable and highly competitive for YEARS to come.  That means proper and good competition in camp .. making the hard decision to move on from vets when younger, cheaper (better) alternatives exist.

11 minutes ago, Mike said:

I’m torn because I don’t really know what any of it looks like and I don’t really know what our approach is going to be short term vs long term.

I won’t lie and say I’m a huge believer in Zach at this stage of his career and I certainly don’t believe Streveler is a better pure backup than Dru, but I do have hope that Streveler will bring an element to our offense that will help Zach. It’s a lot of moving parts.

I think if it plays out how I expect it to, I’d want Zach over Dru at this point, but I’m scared that we are going to be in serious trouble at some point if Strevy hasn’t evolved as a passer.

A lot will come to light this year on whether or not strev can be come a stand in passing qb in this league...

We got a great price to find out anyway

3 hours ago, Geebrr said:

I don’t think it is a conspiracy against a guy with a three year contract - and I know you don’t either. 

They want him to be the starter -  I’m sure. 

I clearly don't.  Sarcasm toward the people who do.

Kolankowski isn't signing here for that number (keeping in mind some of the numbers we have/will have at playmaker spots) to be the 6th guy.  The centre job isn't up for grabs right now IMO.  There's not going to be a competition in a camp where there's low compete anyway these days among vets.  The spots that might be up for grabs are LG and RT.  Probably one of Eli/Dobson get into start in one of those spots, Dobson's shot might be LG if Gray isn't back, Eli's shot is both.  Other guy is 6th OL.  I'm guessing there will be Americans in the mix for at least RT, maybe both depending on the backfield situation.

32 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

Career year?  Last year was not one of Hardrick's finest.

Yeah just the year he got voted for the award finally since Bryant wasn't great either.

So many plays Hardrick stands up/gets stood straight up and doesn't move his feet.  You'd get some sexy looks where he wraps around someone on a run play.  Kind of surprised we didn't hear about him getting any surgeries.  Wouldn't bet on his knees and hips right now going into mid 30s.  If Ottawa wants to pay him 200,000, good for him.

9 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Kolankowski isn't signing here for that number (keeping in mind some of the numbers we have/will have at playmaker spots) to be the 6th guy.  The centre job isn't up for grabs right now IMO.  There's not going to be a competition in a camp where there's low compete anyway these days among vets.  The spots that might be up for grabs are LG and RT.  Probably one of Eli/Dobson get into start in one of those spots, Dobson's shot might be LG if Gray isn't back, Eli's shot is both.  Other guy is 6th OL.  I'm guessing there will be Americans in the mix for at least RT, maybe both depending on the backfield situation.

Of the two, I like Eli more than Dobson but neither really stand out.  

Or, better put, after the drop off from Dejarlais, neither have made me forget the guy.  Gray certainly hasn't.  One thing *is* clear to me that we need better at the interior of our offensive line.

2 hours ago, Mike said:

I see we’ve proceeded to the part of the off-season where we forget that replacements for old players don’t cost $0

SPECULATIONSZN

The cap is $5.585 million this year, that’s roughly 125k per spot on the active roster.

people would be horrified if they saw how much Jake Thomas, Jesse Briggs, Shayne Gauthier, etc were making. Hell, did anyone discuss how we’re also paying Cam Lawson about 140k this year? 

I mentioned the savings there....those are all three guys north of 100k....same with miller...broke it down a while back with i think 7 vets dumped and replaced at entry level or second yr deals from another teams guy coming off first yr contracts frees us up over 300k alone

There is a lot of cheddar to shave without really ousting key vets....Jeffcoat I love, but age now and ability to be a force all yr make him expendable..I like Haba...I see Garbutt as even better....and we will bring in new blood too

We paid/pay a lot to ST only guys who offer nothing but teams work...and thats going to change....and our draft strategy as well needs to evolve

14 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

every damn spot should be up for competition...and if it isn't and best player gets it, then something is seriously flawed...nothing should be given in football...it has to be earned..then maintained