2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Cole for Wilson was more an older vet who has had some injury issues and a young player who seems to have earned more time. I'd prefer Jeffcoat too, just want a quality backup to rotate with he and Jefferson.

Fair enough. I like Cole rotationally with Wilson, unless Biggie is not back, and I definitely want to see more of a rotation at DE as well....whether that is Haba or not remains to be seen. I suspect we will have some DE's in camp to challenge his spot on the roster. To me the only guys we might be ruthless about this offseason are Miller, Alexander, and Fatboi. They are deadweight now. Guys we should be recruiting hard for potential replacements should they have lost a step or to get some seasoning for 2025 are Biggie, Jeffcoat, Stan, and Hardrick. We need to get some good young guys coming in to replace them in the not too distant future, Everyone else is pretty much good to go, or have good replacements ready, for the next year or two. Some will say what about Collaros? Yep, but not because I believe age is even remotely a factor. I just believe that you should ALWAYS be looking for your next franchise QB. If Collaros was 25 right now I want the Bombers turning over every stone to find someone better.

25 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Why we arguing about someone replacing Wilson when bighill is the guy needs replaced?

Bighill doesn't need to be replaced. However, we should be making his eventual replacement a priority scouting duty. I don't think we were really arguing about Wilson but I agree, that finding a Biggie replacement is a bigger need. WIlson still has some good balling left.

Edited by GCn20

7 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I'm leaning more toward "Bighill needs less reps", but not entirely replaced. I still think he has value, but needs to be fresher at his age. 

His peers voted him CFLPA allstar last year. The guy is still balling. Could he use some platooning....probably couldn't hurt but he's still got game or at least a majority of the guys he plays against think so and I am willing to take their word for it over fans who may or may not have a full understanding of what he bring to the table. Ideally I'd love to see the Bombers bring in his eventual replacement this offseason and gradually work him into a platoon with Bighill to keep him fresh.

Edited by GCn20

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

I'm leaning more toward "Bighill needs less reps", but not entirely replaced. I still think he has value, but needs to be fresher at his age. 

Doesn’t the amount of nationalized imports increase this year too? He’d be perfect as one of those guys. 

2 hours ago, bigg jay said:

I'm ok with having Biggie back to platoon but he was the 3rd highest paid LB in the league last year so he'd have to be willing to take way less money as a part time player.  That money could go a long way towards bringing younger core guys back.

I'm a bit surprised how anxious Biggie is to come back for another season, but I suspect he probably likes his football job  more than his other job.  Could see him eventually going into coaching.

4 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

The biggie situation is probably more in line with can we get similar play or a bit better at a cheaper price?

And I think there are a few vets that the team will look at via that lense.

This is exactly what it is. When 100% healthy Bighill is still an OK player (but not the MODP type guy he used to be). If he is in anyway not 100% then his effectiveness drops off a ton. I'm OK with him as a cheaper vet but as a highly paid important cog? Not sure that's the best use of cap.

Man that's so unlike us (lately) to just drop a coach like that. But I definitely agree that STs were a problem of late, so maybe fresh eyes would help. Feel bad for Boo, anyhow, but hopefully he lands on his feet!

35 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Special teams have been an issue for a couple seasons now so not really a surprise. 

Like our teams last year were complete crap. 

Our teams in terms of cover and return has been carried by grant and a couple beast cover guys. Before that, medlock Carried teams. 
 We couldn’t develop our national k/p, couldn’t cover, couldn’t return kicks with out grant, couldn’t develop return guys, and we spent a ton of draft capitol on ni teams guys who didn’t develop either. The kick cover alignment and game plan was horrid all year. Couldn’t get our punter to execute either. 

I think he will bounce back with another team and he deserves a look. But for two years he didn’t accomplish jack $&%£ as a teams co. 

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Man that's so unlike us (lately) to just drop a coach like that. But I definitely agree that STs were a problem of late, so maybe fresh eyes would help. Feel bad for Boo, anyhow, but hopefully he lands on his feet!

I always felt that mos was heavily involved in the game plan. This last year he kept talking about having a plan and sticking to it. Despite it not working. I wonder if the relationship soured or boudreau wanted to make his own stamp and try to jump up from teams co like mos did previously. It’s strange. 
 But this is going to likely be the strangest feeling mafia play off off season to date. 
 I do think it’s positive that mos is willing to move on from a guy who’s been here for soo long. Gives me hope for the rest of the squad. 
 Good (coaching) roster management. 

7 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Cole for Wilson was more an older vet who has had some injury issues and a young player who seems to have earned more time. I'd prefer Jeffcoat too, just want a quality backup to rotate with he and Jefferson.

Nothing wrong with Jeffcoat...we need a rotational end....we had none on roster but 2 guys on PR who would have done well....In my looks at practice I think Garbutt is the best of him and Haba....and Haba is really good, and if he was allowed on the roster after Injury, and allowed ro grow and learn....would have been a key piece down the stretch...but alas...we know why that didnt happen.

I'll say again as in a previous comment...Cole should be given every opp to lock down the Sam

42 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Our teams in terms of cover and return has been carried by grant and a couple beast cover guys. Before that, medlock Carried teams. 
 We couldn’t develop our national k/p, couldn’t cover, couldn’t return kicks with out grant, couldn’t develop return guys, and we spent a ton of draft capitol on ni teams guys who didn’t develop either. The kick cover alignment and game plan was horrid all year. Couldn’t get our punter to execute either. 

I think he will bounce back with another team and he deserves a look. But for two years he didn’t accomplish jack $&%£ as a teams co. 

I always felt that mos was heavily involved in the game plan. This last year he kept talking about having a plan and sticking to it. Despite it not working. I wonder if the relationship soured or boudreau wanted to make his own stamp and try to jump up from teams co like mos did previously. It’s strange. 
 But this is going to likely be the strangest feeling mafia play off off season to date. 
 I do think it’s positive that mos is willing to move on from a guy who’s been here for soo long. Gives me hope for the rest of the squad. 
 Good (coaching) roster management. 

here here!

11 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

MOS decided it's 2024 - time for change.

that decision came from above MOS

Last year when MOS was talking about how there was a new system on Teams and the guys were taking awhile to figure it out... I'm wondering if Osh was taking the bullet for Boudreau and not throwing him under the bus, but behind the scenes they knew there was a ln issue. Interesting times.