2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

28 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I 100% think the answer is flipping the dt ratio spot and running full imp starters on the dl. Sign oakman, bring in noses to rotate with walker and oakman use Lawson to bring in an imp db/ rotate guys. 

Our D needs to figure out how to be successful with Canadians mixed in there too. 

Count me out on Oakman as well.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Our D needs to figure out how to be successful with Canadians mixed in there too. 

Yeah Oakman gives me Khalif Mitchell vibes for some reason.  Big guy but seems to not be the greatest team mate.  Maybe I'm wrong, hope that I am.

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

I would go ni at lber. And or if ford came back at field corner maybe. We started 3 ni on d last year and that was often with 8 starting. We can easily drop one. 

38 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Walker came on as the season progressed. It's up to Walters to sign another Steve Richardson type. 

He did. He isn’t Casey sayles but he’s way cheaper. Nose/oakman at the other dt spot is a game changer. 

55 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I like Lawson as one starting DT but would be fine with replacing Walker with more of a Stove type.

The problem with that is we need another quality dt to rotate and back him up. 

28 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Solid move. Willie just needs to rotate.  Hopefully we have 2 capable defensive ends. Wonder if kongbo would be an option 

Really all dl need to actively rotate in the modern cfl. You don’t gain much by sending 1/2 and playing cover 1, since teams will just chip WRs, roll, throw at the gap and with the narrow hash marks it’s really easy to throw to the gap. Cover 0 and playing dbs back by the first down marker gives you a chance but you’re still real susceptible to yac plays. 
 The key to consistent pressure is mixing looks.  3 and 4 man fronts, layering pass rush lanes, twisting, running cheetah, then showing and dropping from blitz looks. Doing all that requires guys to constantly be as fresh as possible so they can really get after it. When you try and do that stuff with out rotating especially if they other team runs with some balance the dl just gets beat up. 

17 hours ago, Mike said:

I’m talking about guys like Nate Givhan, who were in camp last year … or Tyrique McGhee/Kelvin McKnight who get signed 87 times but aren’t good enough to play.

It’s becoming habitual and I don’t love it. We’re signing gap fillers instead of guys who can be real players because we seemingly have no urgency to build and develop depth, which must be driving Walters nuts 

Evan Holm was in our camp in 2022. That turned out pretty nicely. I would say that was pretty nicely developed.  I'll wait and see on Givhan. McGhee and McKnight were busts for sure and were gap fillers on the PR. Sometimes, you gotta sign what's available too though. The XFL/USFL has taken a lot of our real good PR guys off the table. 

11 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Really all dl need to actively rotate in the modern cfl. You don’t gain much by sending 1/2 and playing cover 1, since teams will just chip WRs, roll, throw at the gap and with the narrow hash marks it’s really easy to throw to the gap. Cover 0 and playing dbs back by the first down marker gives you a chance but you’re still real susceptible to yac plays. 
 The key to consistent pressure is mixing looks.  3 and 4 man fronts, layering pass rush lanes, twisting, running cheetah, then showing and dropping from blitz looks. Doing all that requires guys to constantly be as fresh as possible so they can really get after it. When you try and do that stuff with out rotating especially if they other team runs with some balance the dl just gets beat up. 

We finished 2nd in the CFL in QB pressures, and 2nd in sacks last year despite have the 2nd fewest defensive plays in the league. Not saying anything you stated is incorrect, just that we did pretty darn good with what we had. If we can get better than that....right on.

13 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Yeah Oakman gives me Khalif Mitchell vibes for some reason.  Big guy but seems to not be the greatest team mate.  Maybe I'm wrong, hope that I am.

Oakman has work ethic issues that got him sat down to a rotational piece for most of the season. I would stay clear.

12 hours ago, Goalie said:

Solid move. Willie just needs to rotate.  Hopefully we have 2 capable defensive ends. Wonder if kongbo would be an option 

Kongbo would be a very good addition.

Edited by GCn20

After reading more about Oakman, count me out too. 
It’s a nice thought to have a DT that size, but he’s over 30 with a bunch of off-field issues. 

They still need to find a proper nose tackle, big time. Most likely will have to to be a rookie deal. 
Find a massive every down DT from the states and rotate Walker and all the other 3 tech guys in the other spot. 

Of course it would all be easier to set up if Osh would use the bloody Nationalized American rule. 

Edited by JohnnyAbonny

1 hour ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

It’s a nice thought to have a DT that size, but he’s over 30 with a bunch of off-field issues. 

They still need to find a proper nose tackle, big time. Most likely will have to to be a rookie deal. 
Find a massive every down DT from the states and rotate Walker and all the other 3 tech guys in the other spot. 

Of course it would all be easier to set up if Osh would use the bloody Nationalized American rule. 

Hopefully we already signed him.

Woods made 78 total tackles, 17 tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks, three pass knockdowns, and one forced fumble over 49 collegiate games at the University of Illinois. The six-foot-two, 290-pound interior defender went unselected in the 2023 NFL Draft.

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

Evan Holm was in our camp in 2022. That turned out pretty nicely. I would say that was pretty nicely developed.  I'll wait and see on Givhan. McGhee and McKnight were busts for sure and were gap fillers on the PR. Sometimes, you gotta sign what's available too though. The XFL/USFL has taken a lot of our real good PR guys off the table. 

We finished 2nd in the CFL in QB pressures, and 2nd in sacks last year despite have the 2nd fewest defensive plays in the league. Not saying anything you stated is incorrect, just that we did pretty darn good with what we had. If we can get better than that....right on.

Oakman has work ethic issues that got him sat down to a rotational piece for most of the season. I would stay clear.

We did, but we did not generate consistent pressures, and we didn’t do it with out sending extra guys. Willy j hit the wall hard last year, jj missed most of the year, Thomas was completely burned out, etc. those numbers also take into count db and lber pressures, coverage sacks etc. our west final was almost all coverage sacks. 

18 hours ago, Mike said:

I’m talking about guys like Nate Givhan, who were in camp last year … or Tyrique McGhee/Kelvin McKnight who get signed 87 times but aren’t good enough to play.

It’s becoming habitual and I don’t love it. We’re signing gap fillers instead of guys who can be real players because we seemingly have no urgency to build and develop depth, which must be driving Walters nuts 

Nate Givhan got hurt early in camp. Tyrique McGhee also got hurt and got re-signed as soon as he was healthy to develop for the year -- got playing time in the final game and looked quite good to me. Kelvin McKnight didn't work out but clearly was talented — went to the XFL and performed quite well as an immediate starter. 

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

1 hour ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Toronto rotates every one in their front. Including the best lber in the league for two years. Oakman is a top tier nfl talent, you don’t end up in the cfl being a guy like him or Willy with out knocks. 

25 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Hopefully we already signed him.

Woods made 78 total tackles, 17 tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks, three pass knockdowns, and one forced fumble over 49 collegiate games at the University of Illinois. The six-foot-two, 290-pound interior defender went unselected in the 2023 NFL Draft.

Woods is a tall lean 3-4 4i/end tweener. That projects as a regular cfl dt not a nose. I didn’t see any snaps with him lined up on the nose in college. Remember stove was a 300lbs nose at like 5’10. Woods is 4-5 inches taller and slim for his weight. He could twist into the nose some but I don’t think he’s gonna be a cfl nose. He does have great mobility for a dt though. He’s like a heavier Ricky walker. 

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Toronto rotates every one in their front. Including the best lber in the league for two years. Oakman is a top tier nfl talent, you don’t end up in the cfl being a guy like him or Willy with out knocks. 

If Oakman was NFL talent he would have got a look even with history.  He's a freak sure, but down by down he's playing a position that needs consistency and he's way too easy for OL to move around.

28 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

If Oakman was NFL talent he would have got a look even with history.  He's a freak sure, but down by down he's playing a position that needs consistency and he's way too easy for OL to move around.

Nope. Dee Alford was an nfl talent and didn’t get a whiff. Lots of guys fall between the cracks. 

2 hours ago, Stickem said:

Bring back Kongbo AND I hope we go after Mason Bennett in fa .....local guy who is /was wasting away in Ham......He would be a nice D line addition and McManis would be a nice add although linebacker appears to be less of a need

That’d be nice to get kongbo back. 

30 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Nope. Dee Alford was an nfl talent and didn’t get a whiff. Lots of guys fall between the cracks. 

That’d be nice to get kongbo back. 

Lot's of D-line players available in FA, I'd prefer Argo Natl. Robbie Smith to Kongbo, he makes **** happen.

Defensive linemen

Sam Acheampong, Edmonton Elks (N)
Isaac Adeyemi-Berglund, Calgary Stampeders (N)
Brandon Barlow, Toronto Argonauts (A)
Mason Bennett, Hamilton Tiger-Cats (N)
Mathieu Betts, B.C. Lions (N)
Miles Brown, Saskatchewan Roughriders (A)
Malik Carney, Hamilton Tiger-Cats (A)
Bryce Carter, Ottawa Redblacks (A)
DeMarcus Christmas, Saskatchewan Roughriders (A)
Charbel Dabire, Saskatchewan Roughriders (N)
Ja’Gared Davis, Hamilton Tiger-Cats (A)
Jamal Davis II, Hamilton Tiger-Cats (A)
Tibo Debaillie, B.C. Lions (G)
Vincent Desjardins, Montreal Alouettes (N)
Avery Ellis, Montreal Alouettes (A)
Elliot Graham, Calgary Stampeders (N)
Thiadric Hansen, Winnipeg Blue Bombers (G)
Dewayne Hendrix, Toronto Argonauts (A)
Julian Howsare, Calgary Stampeders (A)
Jackson Jeffcoat, Winnipeg Blue Bombers (A)
Willie Jefferson, Winnipeg Blue Bombers (A)
Micah Johnson, Saskatchewan Roughriders (A)
Anthony Lanier II, Saskatchewan Roughriders (A)
Ted Laurent, Hamilton Tiger-Cats (N)
Cameron Lawson, Winnipeg Blue Bombers (N)
Shawn Lemon, Montreal Alouettes (A)
A.C. Leonard, Edmonton Elks (A)
Benoit Marion, Toronto Argonauts (N)
Lorenzo Mauldin IV, Ottawa Redblacks (A)
Terrell McClain, Calgary Stampeders (A)
Mike Moore, Calgary Stampeders (A)
Cole Nelson, Edmonton Elks (N)
Shawn Oakman, Toronto Argonauts (A)
Pete Robertson, Saskatchewan Roughriders (A)
Nigel Romick, Ottawa Redblacks (N)
Mike Rose, Calgary Stampeders (A)
Daniel Ross, Edmonton Elks (A)
Sione Teuhema, B.C. Lions (A)
Jake Thomas, Winnipeg Blue Bombers (N)
Nick Usher, B.C. Lions (A)
Michael Wakefield, Ottawa Redblacks (A)
Ricky Walker, Winnipeg Blue Bombers (A)
Derek Wiggan, Calgary Stampeders (N)
Dylan Wynn, Hamilton Tiger-Cats (A)

3 hours ago, Stickem said:

Bring back Kongbo AND I hope we go after Mason Bennett in fa .....local guy who is /was wasting away in Ham......He would be a nice D line addition and McManis would be a nice add although linebacker appears to be less of a need

McMannis or Pickett would be amazing adds at linebacker.

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Alford played division II college ball and it took one year with us to get an NFL look.

Oakman is 31, and played for Penn State and Baylor before going around different leagues since 2018. If NFL teams thought he was at that level, he'd have had a look by now. He didn't fall through any cracks.

4 hours ago, wbbfan said:

We did, but we did not generate consistent pressures, and we didn’t do it with out sending extra guys. Willy j hit the wall hard last year, jj missed most of the year, Thomas was completely burned out, etc. those numbers also take into count db and lber pressures, coverage sacks etc. our west final was almost all coverage sacks. 

Sure they do, and so does everyone else's pass rush stats. Does it really matter how you do it?

2 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Agreed. He makes plays but also costs his team as well.

38 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Alford played division II college ball and it took one year with us to get an NFL look.

Oakman is 31, and played for Penn State and Baylor before going around different leagues since 2018. If NFL teams thought he was at that level, he'd have had a look by now. He didn't fall through any cracks.

He had criminal stuff going on that prevented him getting there. 

Definitely didn’t fall through the cracks.