Which Vets do we cut next season

Brandon

21 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I could see Mike Miller and Jesse Briggs retiring. I do wonder if we get a vet or two retiring that is a surprise.

Mike Miller is the easy answer, but we still kept him on the roster all season so it wouldn't even surprise me to see him come back.

Stanley Bryant apparently walked off in a huff and probably is the guy who was saying he's done. But I'm putting my faith in Walters who thinks he just needs to cool off and then will talk him into coming back for another go. 

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

Mike Miller is the easy answer, but we still kept him on the roster all season so it wouldn't even surprise me to see him come back.

Stanley Bryant apparently walked off in a huff and probably is the guy who was saying he's done. But I'm putting my faith in Walters who thinks he just needs to cool off and then will talk him into coming back for another go. 

I think Jake Thomas might be ready to throw in the towel, but it depends if he has any "after football plans" or if he wants to hang onto his golden goose as long as possible.

22 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

I think Jake Thomas might be ready to throw in the towel, but it depends if he has any "after football plans" or if he wants to hang onto his golden goose as long as possible.

I feel like he was one of the guys who has said he’s coming back if we’ll have him. He’s not even that old.

it's extremely well known that Jake is a real estate agent in the maritimes...... he's got plenty of post-CFL work. Friend of mine was at an event last night where he was the guest speaker... he's quite famous/popular out that way. Could definitely see him hanging 'em up..... possibly Miller and Benson, as well. Lots of guys nearing 40...

2 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

I'm really curious who, if anybody retires.

Briggs...Maybe Miller...possibly...more hopefully Thomas...that's all I see...Benson possibly too tho he ain't eating up much space for a specialty role...

This mass retiring mantra is more media soon speculation and fan opinion....

Biggie won't retire as he is signed...does he agree to restructure and be a bit/role player? Maybe...but could also see him released before FA then to give him best opp to sign elsewhere for good money if someone wanting to pay him before FA dollars get gobbled up.

That being said I have no issues with him coming to camp and competing against all up and comera and new young guys...and if he gets beat out then offered the Briggs role and actually designate him as the Nationalized American and freely sub him in for a Canadian for certain situations and sets...he could be very useful in a 30 snap or less role as well as his leadership and defacto extra coach on the staff

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

Walking on in a huff is a good thing...the fire and.desire still burns strong and he knows we wasted another chance....I bet he comes back and goes out on top for 2024

7 minutes ago, Booch said:

Briggs...Maybe Miller...possibly...more hopefully Thomas...that's all I see...Benson possibly too tho he ain't eating up much space for a specialty role...

Biggie won't retire as he is signed...does he agree to restructure and be a bit/role player? Maybe...but could also see him released before FA then to give him best opp to sign elsewhere for good money if someone wanting to pay him before FA dollars get gobbled up.

That being said I have no issues with him coming to camp and competing against all up and comera and new young guys...and if he gets beat out then offered the Briggs role and actually designate him as the Nationalized American and freely sub him in for a Canadian for certain situations and sets...he could be very useful in a 30 snap or less role as well as his leadership and defacto extra coach on the staff

Walking on in a huff is a good thing...the fire and.desire still burns strong and he knows we wasted another chance....I bet he comes back and goes out on top for 2024

Agreed on all 👍

21 minutes ago, Booch said:

Regarding Bighill. Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't he acquired all sorts of finanicial planning, etc. designations and is working with one of the local (branch?) financial/wealth management companies? If so, it might be problematic to uproot the family and his clients to play a season or two with another team.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

it took way too many posts for someone to say this... Jesus Christ almighty...... 

RPS08387-2-scaled.jpg

MVP  - 21/26  290 yards with 3tds and game winning drive.     Those are amazing numbers against the "supposed" best team in the league.      He did destroy us and I'm not afraid to admit it.    

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

RPS08387-2-scaled.jpg

MVP  - 21/26  290 yards with 3tds and game winning drive.     Those are amazing numbers against the "supposed" best team in the league.      He did destroy us and I'm not afraid to admit it.    

He performed when he had to and, at the end of the day, that’s all that matters.  He’s a champion and an MVP.  That can’t be taken away from him.

If any number of our star players did the same, the outcome of this last Grey Cup (hell last two Grey Cups) may have been different.

1 hour ago, Slimy Sculpin said:

Regarding Bighill. Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't he acquired all sorts of finanicial planning, etc. designations and is working with one of the local (branch?) financial/wealth management companies? If so, it might be problematic to uproot the family and his clients to play a season or two with another team.

Again this is very common knowledge and came up often during his last contract negotiation. He can do his work online and doesn't need to be in Winnipeg. He has achieved a lot of designations (??) in the wealth management world and spends a lot of time on it. He's on his last CFL contract and wants to go out a winner. He'll play somewhere in 2024, and hopefully finishes his career in Winnipeg. He's an extremely valuable guy, on and off the field. 

31 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Again this is very common knowledge and came up often during his last contract negotiation. He can do his work online and doesn't need to be in Winnipeg. He has achieved a lot of designations (??) in the wealth management world and spends a lot of time on it. He's on his last CFL contract and wants to go out a winner. He'll play somewhere in 2024, and hopefully finishes his career in Winnipeg. He's an extremely valuable guy, on and off the field. 

He is a heart and soul guy of our team no doubt but i compare him to a similar position as AH where it is time to have a reduced role. We have to start making that difficult transition to younger leaders. If he will take a reduced role that would be great. I am hoping 😊

8 minutes ago, bb1 said:

He is a heart and soul guy of our team no doubt but i compare him to a similar position as AH where it is time to have a reduced role. We have to start making that difficult transition to younger leaders. If he will take a reduced role that would be great. I am hoping 😊

Reduced role means we have to sign a starting MLB to take his place which costs money. Bighill wouldn't be re-signed to a reduced role. He'd go elsewhere.

4 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I like the idea of using Cole or perhaps we find a talented MLB and bring them to camp this year as a starter and having Biggie on a cheaper deal. playing a reduced role as a Nationalized Canadian. He may be open to that given his other job here in the city.

Just remember that every dollar you spend bringing back Bighill is one less dollar to spend on Schoen & Oliviera.  So, for me, I don't like the idea. 

We definitely have a MACK backer already in either Cole or Wilson. Bighill could be rotational or slide over to WIL I'm sure. Would hate to see him finish his career elsewhere... Someone compared him to Harris, but I think they're different situations. Call it "different personalities" maybe.... But I'm not sure how welcome in the room Harris was toward the end. I think Bighill still commands a lot of respect from his teammates and would be welcomed back. 

Just now, Noeller said:

We definitely have a MACK backer already in either Cole or Wilson. Bighill could be rotational or slide over to WIL I'm sure. Would hate to see him finish his career elsewhere... Someone compared him to Harris, but I think they're different situations. Call it "different personalities" maybe.... But I'm not sure how welcome in the room Harris was toward the end. I think Bighill still commands a lot of respect from his teammates and would be welcomed back. 

MLB is a spot where we could cut some cost and not lose production. But Bighill's also re-worked his contract many times to help us out, so I doubt he's going to be the reason we lose another guy off the roster.

I don't know what he's making, but I doubt it's a back-breaking deal for the club.

13 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I'm alwasy amazed at the hate people have for Fajardo. He did kill us. That last drive drove a spike through all of our hearts. 

Would you be comfortable having fajardo as your starting qb? Sun shines on every dog's ass now and then. He avoided being terrible in the Grey Cup while collaros was bad. Doesn't mean anyone thinks fajardo is better than collaros. Was one game. 

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Would you be comfortable having fajardo as your starting qb? Sun shines on every dog's ass now and then. He avoided being terrible in the Grey Cup while collaros was bad. Doesn't mean anyone thinks fajardo is better than collaros. Was one game. 

Fajardo sure played well thaat one day. This may & I say with a bit of trepidation as I know some will laugh in disbelief that it may be a turning point in his career. Maybe he finally gets the inner confidence & takes the next step up. Or he doesn't. Time will tell.