2023 CFL ALL STAR Fan Selections

bluto

https://www.cfl.ca/2023/11/08/stars-of-the-show-2023-cfl-all-stars-fan-favourite-unveiled/

2023 CFL ALL-STARS
(Position | Name | No. of CFL All-Star selections)

* Denotes a National player

OFFENCE

POSITION NAME TEAM NO. OF CFL ALL-STAR SELECTIONS
Quarterback Chad Kelly TOR 1st
Running Back Brady Oliveira* WPG 1st
Receiver Dalton Schoen WPG 2nd (2022)
  Tim White HAM 2nd (2022)
  Keon Hatcher BC 1st
  Austin Mack MTL 1st
  Reggie Begelton CGY 2nd (2019)
Centre Darius Ciraco* TOR 1st
Guard Ryan Hunter* TOR 1st
  Patrick Neufeld* WPG 3rd (2021, 2022)
Offensive Tackle Dejon Allen TOR 1st
  Jermarcus Hardrick WPG 2nd (2021)

DEFENCE

Defensive End Mathieu Betts* BC 1st
  Willie Jefferson WPG 5th (2017-2019, 2021)
Defensive Tackle Mike Rose CGY 3rd (2021, 2022)
  Casey Sayles HAM 1st
Linebacker Wynton McManis TOR 2nd (2022)
  Micah Awe CGY 1st
Cover Linebacker Adarius Pickett TOR 1st
Cornerback Demerio Houston WPG 1st
  Garry Peters BC 2nd (2022)
Halfback Robertson Daniel TOR 1st
  T.J. Lee BC 2nd (2018)
Safety Marc-Antoine Dequoy* MTL 1st

SPECIAL TEAMS

Kicker Sean Whyte* BC 1st
Punter Richie Leone OTT 5th (2015, 2016, 2019, 2021)
Special Teams Javon Leake TOR 1st

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

We can merge this with the league thread. No need for so many individual threads all the time.

Not everyone can invest the time or has the inclination to delve as deeply as you do on this site, reading through every comment in every thread. Personally, I value dedicated threads for unique topics like the annual CFL All-Star awards. While general discussion threads are perfect for weekly conversations, certain topics, including this one, deserve their spotlight independently. 

51 minutes ago, bluto said:

It isn't as though he's not all-star calibre, but the fans picking Robertson Daniel considering the time he's missed is unfair to others who put in a full year's work at a high level. 

Tbh it’s got a bunch of trash picks. Awe especially but a few others too. this is the worst of the all star lists and almost always is that way. 

18 hours ago, Noeller said:

We can merge this with the league thread. No need for so many individual threads all the time.

be nice to have all 3 all star team announcements, and player awards in one thread. 

6 minutes ago, JCon said:

Holy geez. Not leading in the traditional QB categories, but throws a longer distance, so gets the all-star nod. It's beyond juvenile. 

I feel shame for giving them a click. 

Ya that was my thought and I hesitated even sharing it. Kolankowski as our lone OL nod. Hilariums.

11 minutes ago, bearpants said:

To quickly summarize the justification for Chad Kelly: the stats show he's clearly not the best QB in the league... but his team was really good so we'll give him the nod by default 

If he was my pick for QB all-star (he isn't, Collaros had a better year), that's not the argument that I'd have used to justify it. Sure, he's the QB of a historically good team, but it's the "valuable" argument that make him look best. And 1 for 1, I don't think there's a guy in the league I'd feel happy to swap him for.

37 minutes ago, JCon said:

Holy geez. Not leading in the traditional QB categories, but throws a longer distance, so gets the all-star nod. It's beyond juvenile. 

I feel shame for giving them a click. 

The list is even worse than the official CFL all star team.

30 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Ya that was my thought and I hesitated even sharing it. Kolankowski as our lone OL nod. Hilariums.

It's beyond awful. Just completely out to lunch most of that list. How Revenburg, Broxton and Matte made that list after how bad their respective OL's were is complete nonsense.

Edited by GCn20

7 minutes ago, bluto said:

If he was my pick for QB all-star (he isn't, Collaros had a better year), that's not the argument that I'd have used to justify it. Sure, he's the QB of a historically good team, but it's the "valuable" argument that make him look best. And 1 for 1, I don't think there's a guy in the league I'd feel happy to swap him for.

I don't totally disagree with the selection... I just thought the justification was a joke... and assuming his contract didn't carry over (bc that would obviously effect the roster composition)... the Argos would be an even better team with Collaros as QB

43 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

The list is even worse than the official CFL all star team.

It's beyond awful. Just completely out to lunch most of that list. How Revenburg, Broxton and Matte made that list after how bad their respective OL's were is complete nonsense.

Our Oline is better than what they choose....Thats a sad sad list for sure

4 minutes ago, Booch said:

Our Oline is better than what they choose....Thats a sad sad list for sure

Just nonsensical. Lots of love for BC's secondary that was pretty average for the last 2/3 of the season too. Leading the league in passing yards against should have got us the obvious edge for that, an OL that surrendered the 2nd least sacks and BY FAR the best running game and they choose our weakest OL all by himself? Just a terrible, terrible take. I could have thrown darts at a players list and come up with better than that.

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, Geebrr said:

Just so everybody knows - this X account is John Hodge’s brother. 

Color me unsurprised. Hodge has been downright loony this year in his CFL takes. I have to wonder if he even watches the games sometimes.

Edited by GCn20

29 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Color me unsurprised. Hodge has been downright loony this year in his CFL takes. I have to wonder if he even watches the games sometimes.

Not just this year..... As Mike has said in here many times, there are several posters on this board that are more knowledgeable and are likely better writers than him. It's ridiculous.

19 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Not just this year..... As Mike has said in here many times, there are several posters on this board that are more knowledgeable and are likely better writers than him. It's ridiculous.

It would be harder to find people on this board that post regularly who aren’t more knowledgeable then him, I never really had anything against him but yeah he has some really outlandish takes. 

The one thing they got right that others got wrong was giving Nichols the nod and recognizing he doesn't get thrown at enough to collect flashy stats that reel in votes.

Willie getting snubbed is insane, his impact on the game goes way beyond sacks and he was still top 5 there... just nuts.

The Kola nod has got to be a PFF thing as he consistently graded pretty high. All-Stars should stand out in a good way and to my eyes he stood out most when flopping around and making a mess. Not to say he didn't get the job done (ask Brady and Zach), but when I think Bomber Oline I think Neufeld-Bryant-Hardrick, those votes at least make sense to me

Edited by MOBomberFan
word