Argos at Bombers GDT

Nolby

4 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

yeah the Argos are reminding me of the Vikings last year in the NFL - won a lot of games by pure dumb luck and then melted in their first playoff game when the going got rough.  I'm glad we won (and I won't discount the fact that when they put their 3rd stringer QB in they basically were saying "please win, here it is on a platter") but man it shouldn't have been that close.  

They won games they should have lost last season. Now, they're losing those games. Kirk Cousins is so overrated. We'll see how the Argos handle being the favourite & nor the underdogs. How ,many great teams that looked unstoppable in the regular season choked in the playoffs. What Dinwiddie did yesterday was so damned arrogant. They told the Bombers we can beat you any time we want. Just not today. I hope the players & coaches remember this. & use that disrespect to play hard the rest of the way.

18 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

They won games they should have lost last season. Now, they're losing those games. Kirk Cousins is so overrated. We'll see how the Argos handle being the favourite & nor the underdogs. How ,many great teams that looked unstoppable in the regular season choked in the playoffs. What Dinwiddie did yesterday was so damned arrogant. They told the Bombers we can beat you any time we want. Just not today. I hope the players & coaches remember this. & use that disrespect to play hard the rest of the way.

Re: Speed’s point about great teams choking in the playoffs: just a reminder that 12 teams in CFL history have won 15 or more games in a season, only 5 of them went on to win the Grey Cup. 

4 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Re: Speed’s point about great teams choking in the playoffs: just a reminder that 12 teams in CFL history have won 15 or more games in a season, only 5 of them went on to win the Grey Cup. 

Maybe the biggest upset was 1989 when the first place 16-2 Edmonton Eskimos hosted the third place 9-9 Saskatchewan Roughriders in the Western Final. The Riders defeated the Esks 32-21. 

13 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

The O runs through Brady. Every time we go away from getting him the ball, the O slows down. 

Hard to argue him as the MOP right now. Collaros likely brings more to the table leadership wise right now. But no one is playing better than Brady on this team.

or more valuable

38 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Did TSN capture the Andrew Harris tribute before the game started? He received quite a generous ovation, you'd hope that would have smoothed things over a bit.

If he ever felt a grudge, it wasn’t against the fans.

I watched him over the course of the game and saw him waving to the indigenous group in the end zone as well as others.

7 hours ago, MOBomberFan said:

Did TSN capture the Andrew Harris tribute before the game started? He received quite a generous ovation, you'd hope that would have smoothed things over a bit.

It'll be a while for me & other fans yet. I'll eventually forgive but I figure it'll take (for me) another 3 or 4 years. First of all, he has to get out of that disgusting Argos uniform first for good. He still acts like he enjoys beating us just a little bit too much. I mean, even he has to see why Brady O took his spot. I can't believe that his ego would be that big that he would be blind to the talent Oliveira has. Harris ran out of time here. he could have stayed & fulfilled the same role he now has in Toronto but no..... he wanted to be paid.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I think Brady has developed into a team leader now. 

I dont see it.

He's awesome, but a team leader... I feel he's still too green and not nearly seasoned enough. 

3 hours ago, Booch said:

Forgot to mention an example of the Argos dirty play and attitude... after the punt return by Parker in 4th quarter just before the 2:22 mark...watch what 93 Toronto tries to do to Parker's ankle after play....

Yup, I saw Parker's reaction to it- while he was still clinging and twisting. What an *******.

Just now, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

I dont see it.

He's awesome, but a team leader... I feel he's still too green and not nearly seasoned enough. 

I respectfully disagree. How can you say that? Leadership has nothing to do with age. It has everything to do with respect & I'm sure Oliveira has plenty of that in the locker room. There were games this season & last where he put the team on his back & won games running the ball late in the game. He handled the pressure & performed. 

30 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I respectfully disagree. How can you say that? Leadership has nothing to do with age. It has everything to do with respect & I'm sure Oliveira has plenty of that in the locker room. There were games this season & last where he put the team on his back & won games running the ball late in the game. He handled the pressure & performed. 

I guess it's not the age.

He is a hard worker.

Great talent.

I just don't feel he is one of the locker room voices that people gravitate to. I chalk it up to his inexperience, not age. I don't feel that he has found his "leadership voice" yet.

I have heard about BAs leadship, and other veterans, but nothing about BO.

But, I am not in that locker room, do I have no clue and this is pure speculation on my part. 

Also, you could be right. 

23 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Olly is way too young to be a true team leader yet. If anything he just leads by example, but he's not someone who's going to step up and say stuff. 

Again, you don't know that. It comes down to respect. as well as trust. Do his teammtaes respect & trust him? Age means nothing. Brady is a 4 or 5 year pro. When you consider most pro football careers don't last much past that amount of time on average, I think he'd have the ears of his teammates if he speaks. 

On the most recent Handled Internally pod, with Zach, he talked about how he doesn't like getting up and speaking to the team, but guys like Willie do every day and he appreciates that they're able to do that. Says Sheed talks a fair bit, sometimes Yoshi and Neufeld... I'm sure Bighill does quite a bit. 

Woli.is a room leader....speaks often...Neuf...Willie...Sheed

Others are the silent ones that speak when needed (Bryant) and when they do people perk up....same can be said with ZC

Brady is earning his place but has gained huge respect and guys will play to his level cause they see his attitude and work ethic...his passion....we need more youthful guys like that where teammates want to elevate in respect to him...

He's still just a youngster and hasn't perfected his speaking voice yet...even in interviews but he's getting there

It's to the point know the teams heartbeat especially on offence pumps thru him....that's his leadership role at moment

This is sort of continuing the discussion from the Bombers' season thread, but I thought that discussion of the Argos roster this past Friday and the reasoning and strategy behind it was more germane here.

I know that most of us would've rather seen a competitive game instead of having the Argos treat Friday like a Preseason (and make no mistake, they did) but consider it from our side and you quickly realize why we'd do this on the road, late in the season and against a team we may see again.

The Argos 6-game has: Daniel, Amos, Muamba, Gittens, Haggerty, Carnell, Bladek and Johnson

Our 1 game list had: Oakman, Peters, McManis, Cage, Phillips and Richards

That's 9 nailed-on starters (and 2 others who although they're starting calibre, we likely won't see them). And maybe as many as a dozen that could start and we (or anyone else) would be happy to have them. And they are mostly who are starters of All Star calibre and a few are those guys who have displayed that Big-Play Gene.

And of course, the Big one: we sat The Chad and played 3 quarters of Dukes, a quarter of Scott and a final series of Dukes. Exactly like we did in the preseason against Hamilton.

And we hid our playbooks. I didn't see a single play that I hadn't already watched this year. This is very atypical for us. Dinwidde and Mace roll out new things by the week. I didn't see a single blitz get disguised and I'm fairly sure we didn't do any of our run-blitzing (part of why Olivera ran so effectively on us all night).

(as an aside: I feel better about our backup situation now. way to early to see if he has or will develop starter or even elite traits... but you guys played your defence close to your vest too... I had presumed that you would go after Dukes early and often to shake him up. Looked more like Hall was saving that for when it gets real and just daring the kid to make completions against you if he could)

As for the Bombers, perhaps it's a case of playing down to the perceived level of an opponent (ie: they saw that it was a heavily rotated Argo team that didn't need a win) but they did not impress. Even Olivera. You can't fault anything he did because he can only play against what gets set in front of him, and he did it very well. But there was no scheme whatsoever in place for him. This was a one-off.

Takeaway: we're leaving with a loss, but with a sense of confidence. Because if these two teams are fortunate enough to play each other again, the game will be very different. And on that day in November if they face the actual 2023 Argonauts, the Bombers will have to do much better than they did Friday night.

2 hours ago, Booch said:

Woli.is a room leader....speaks often...Neuf...Willie...Sheed

Others are the silent ones that speak when needed (Bryant) and when they do people perk up....same can be said with ZC

Brady is earning his place but has gained huge respect and guys will play to his level cause they see his attitude and work ethic...his passion....we need more youthful guys like that where teammates want to elevate in respect to him...

He's still just a youngster and hasn't perfected his speaking voice yet...even in interviews but he's getting there

It's to the point know the teams heartbeat especially on offence pumps thru him....that's his leadership role at moment

Legit curious question, how often are you in the dressing room with the team? And in what capacity of you can say?

Re/ the Bomber, Argo tilt.....It would have been a better game had it been in the last two regular season games for both clubs.....Even though there wasn't much to gain for the TO team, they might have put in a better effort..... lasting impressions and wanting to look like a force going into post season playoff's can be....well lasting.....We got what we wanted out of that game a win....argo's didn't get a thing but a few nic's

47 minutes ago, bluto said:

Takeaway: we're leaving with a loss, but with a sense of confidence. Because if these two teams are fortunate enough to play each other again, the game will be very different. And on that day in November if they face the actual 2023 Argonauts, the Bombers will have to do much better than they did Friday night.

Good summary, Bombers have played down to their opponents all year. With the exception of the egg laid against BC, their losses have been against very pedestrian teams (OTT, HAM, SSK). In each of those games, their performance either wasn't good enough (HAM), or they let an inferior opponent hang around (OTT/SSK).

18 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Legit curious question, how often are you in the dressing room with the team? And in what capacity of you can say?

to be honest I don't take any of your legit stuff aimed at me as anything but fuel for your attempts to attack or discredit me,, so you can use your imagination...people on here who know me on a more personal basis, would gladly share more but for most part will keep anymore interesting and probably enjoyed tidbits by many to myself, or in personal messaging like I do now....sorry 

All I will say have close relationships with several teams players, and management and still train with many....thats why I at times will scoff or seem at times ...cant remember the word used the other day to describe it as have no time/use to scroll back at posts to cherry pick garbage past quotes...but any way go off against what a lot of people assume, or think goes on behind the walls, or how certain individuals may feel outside the press sound bites...not always as it seems or led to believe

1 hour ago, bluto said:

Argos will need to keep hoping for those Argo bounces come November as well.

4 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Argos will need to keep hoping for those Argo bounces come November as well.

yeah...like said a lot here...good goes with luck and luck needs to be there to be consistently good....they had a buttload of good fortune that game...we had none pretty much that game other than the decision to play the 3rd stringer, tho may have back fired cause when they did bring Dukes back in...looked like night and day and it amped up the defense....

1 hour ago, bluto said:

This is sort of continuing the discussion from the Bombers' season thread, but I thought that discussion of the Argos roster this past Friday and the reasoning and strategy behind it was more germane here.

I know that most of us would've rather seen a competitive game instead of having the Argos treat Friday like a Preseason (and make no mistake, they did) but consider it from our side and you quickly realize why we'd do this on the road, late in the season and against a team we may see again.

The Argos 6-game has: Daniel, Amos, Muamba, Gittens, Haggerty, Carnell, Bladek and Johnson

Our 1 game list had: Oakman, Peters, McManis, Cage, Phillips and Richards

That's 9 nailed-on starters (and 2 others who although they're starting calibre, we likely won't see them). And maybe as many as a dozen that could start and we (or anyone else) would be happy to have them. And they are mostly who are starters of All Star calibre and a few are those guys who have displayed that Big-Play Gene.

And of course, the Big one: we sat The Chad and played 3 quarters of Dukes, a quarter of Scott and a final series of Dukes. Exactly like we did in the preseason against Hamilton.

And we hid our playbooks. I didn't see a single play that I hadn't already watched this year. This is very atypical for us. Dinwidde and Mace roll out new things by the week. I didn't see a single blitz get disguised and I'm fairly sure we didn't do any of our run-blitzing (part of why Olivera ran so effectively on us all night).

(as an aside: I feel better about our backup situation now. way to early to see if he has or will develop starter or even elite traits... but you guys played your defence close to your vest too... I had presumed that you would go after Dukes early and often to shake him up. Looked more like Hall was saving that for when it gets real and just daring the kid to make completions against you if he could)

As for the Bombers, perhaps it's a case of playing down to the perceived level of an opponent (ie: they saw that it was a heavily rotated Argo team that didn't need a win) but they did not impress. Even Olivera. You can't fault anything he did because he can only play against what gets set in front of him, and he did it very well. But there was no scheme whatsoever in place for him. This was a one-off.

Go pass on an electric fence. Your team showed its true colors. What a crock of **** you are trying to peddle. Ever stop to think maybe we were the ones dumbing things down and just doing enough to win without showing our cards. Nope..because like most Argo fans you'd rather stick your head in the sand and claim all things Argo are great. That's what happens when you a fan in a void I guess..reality isn't easy to differentiate from wishful thinking.