Bombers @ TiCats: GDT

Noeller

12 minutes ago, Pepper_Brooks said:

It appears that our once highly regarded defense has regrettably lost its competitive edge my friend.

Which is coaching. It seems incredible that a first place team at 10-4 could cause such consteration among its fabase as most teams would be happy with that record but let's face it. Too many huge hills & deep valleys. There's no consistency this season. We're a real Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde as well as bad road team. 

37 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Which is coaching. It seems incredible that a first place team at 10-4 could cause such consteration among its fabase as most teams would be happy with that record but let's face it. Too many huge hills & deep valleys. There's no consistency this season. We're a real Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde as well as bad road team. 

So much this.

Been following this team since I was a kid in the 70s. As a kid there were many heartbreaks with teams that had so much potential but came up empty. It might have been easier to take had the potential not been there...but the squandering of potential is always sad.

John Daly comes to mind. So much potential and talent seemingly squandered. 

I came into this season filled with that notion of a team with so much potential to right the wrong of last year's GC. The re-signing of important vets...the return of Lawler...the potential of another Wpg born back, etc...

Instead we're getting this schizophrenic team who doesn't seem to know who it is from week to week...world beaters or potential-squanderers?

I can take the down/rebuilding years...it's all part of the game...but watching these guys come out flat, giving up early leads and either having to scrap back to win...or lose...to inferior teams really p*sses me off. Combine that with some of the most incompetent officiating I can remember and I'm a frustrated camper.

I'll be the first to admit I don't have the football acumen that some on here do but I can't help but lay the blame for this frustration at the feet of coaches. Yeah professionals should be able to get themselves fired up/prepared for games but damn it, it's up to coaches to MAKE SURE that's happening.

If the only thing firing you up for a game is losing the previous game...well that doesn't seem like a recipe for success

Edited by Deiter Fan

3 minutes ago, Deiter Fan said:

So much this.

Been following this team since I was a kid in the 70s. As a kid there were many heartbreaks with teams that had so much potential but came up empty. It might have been easier to take had the potential not been there...but the squandering of potential is always sad.

I came into this season filled with that notion of a team with so much potential to right the wrong of last year's GC. The re-signing of important vets...the return of Lawler...the potential of another Wpg born back, etc...

Instead we're getting this schizophrenic team who doesn't seem to know who it is from week to week...world beaters or potential-squanderers?

I can take the down/rebuilding years...it's all part of the game...but watching these guys come out flat, giving up early leads and either having to scrap back to win...or lose...to inferior teams really p*sses me off. Combine that with some of the most incompetent officiating I can remember and I'm a frustrated camper.

I'll be the first to admit I don't have the football acumen that some on here do but I can't help but lay the blame for this frustration at the feet of coaches. Yeah professionals should be able to get themselves fired up/prepared for games but damn it, it's up to coaches to MAKE SURE that's happening.

If the only thing firing you up for a game is losing the previous game...well that doesn't seem like a recipe for success

You summed it up quite nicely. 

9 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

No idea what will happen the rest of this season and am hoping for the best. However anybody else worried we will not make hard decisions in the off season? I think we need to look at making some big changes in the off season, player wise.

Needed tonne making some a few weeks ago already when it was apparent where our weaknesses and inefficiency is

9 hours ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

If we sneak into first they will absolutely run it back. It would be better for our future if we finished 2nd, but obviously worse for this year.

I hope so...but not super confident...look how many games we been unprepared and out coached to start....whoever we face is gonna be a hungry team who hasn't been there in a long time....no complacency will.be there with them

9 hours ago, bustamente said:

First place and a home date to get to the Grey Cup is a must for this team.

Yup...cause as we are constructed now...and what we have shown...2 top notch games in a row...with one having to be on road is nowhere close to being a given with this team right now...we have 4 games to make some serious tinkering..

We did in 2019 which put us over..

Hopefully O'Shea goes and revisits previous success and what was key in it

6 hours ago, Noeller said:

We have now lost 2 of our last 3 and looked absolutely TERRIBLE in both. There were moments in this game that were ******* embarrassing to watch. 

You recall me saying weeks ago...not addressing things and letting them fester and have wins gloss over it? Well the puss is starting to ooze out of a festering wound now at worst time in season from in my observation where only teams that aren't progressing and getting better are us and the riders...and that is saying something 

There are simply adjustments that aren’t being made and something needs to be done about it.

We need the staff to have a long, hard look at what happens within their offices because I see so many deficiencies that are coming directly from our coaching staff. There’s not much that they’re doing right now that I care for - the preparation, execution and player management is all leaving a ton to be desired and they’re smart enough to realize it. How are they going to address it? 

14 hours ago, Tracker said:

Truth is that Bombers were beaten in all three phases of the game plus out-coached again.  They were ready for Oliveira and hammered Shoen every chance they got. I recall at least two instances where the TiCat receivers bobbled the ball and could have been knocked into next week by the two defenders who had closed in on them. Instead, they were hugged. Bombers did not deserve to win and its the usual suspects every damned time.

I was very unhappy with the lack of retaliation from us for what they were doing to Schoen. Just didn't see the usual emotion from the offence ( except of course Lawlor). 

13 hours ago, Tracker said:

Kolankowski is  not an all-star, just a journeyman centre but when the rest of the O-line is playing well as a unit, he is adequate. The problems are in the centre of the D-line and right side of the defensive backfield. Linebacking is a concern- Bighill is getting older and slower and Kramdi has the physical abilities to play the spot but not the experience and maybe not the instincts. Richie Hall's philosophy seems to be to let the opposition show their hand and then adapt, but that does not seem to lend itself to playing from behind. O'Shea needs to be questioned about some of his personnel decisions or we will stumble through the rest of the season and have a one-game post-season.

I agree with all of this, but I'm not sure Biggie is a problem. He's currently our leading tackler as a MLB should be. I can definately see some changes for next year on our dline (95). And the way I feel this morning we will be incredibly fortunate to get more than 1 playoff game.

7 hours ago, Deiter Fan said:

So much this.

Well-said

Once again....we start slow and deep in our zone.....the Cats start at centre field ....Do the coaches not see that our special teams are crap....or is it just not considered a priority.....We are a better club than what showed yesterday...talent wise.....the otherwise is a fail.....IF we don't find a way to put more pressure on the qb. it's going to be a long last part of the season....We're turning uknown qb.s into stars ....the poor play of the secondary except for a couple of guys, has to change....What's the latest word on Ford....we could use a player of his calibre to shake things up.....Zack had a 50/50 game ....looked good on some nice bombs but then regressed into throwing pics......Poor effort let a lesser club walk away with the 2 pts......and I didn't see a Cup winner in Ham. yesterday

2 hours ago, Booch said:

Basically this is it..and it's not wholesale changes and extreme measures that are needed...but issues serious enough they can't be left as it...14 games in now...and it's apparent as ever...if not worse...

No not yet. If they don’t deal with what they need to, internally, then it will require some thing big. 
 If mos etc use this to wake tf up then it’ll be a good thing. But as of yet I have little hope that this will shake them out of their complacency.  
 Personally, I’d fire hall promote jy and bring in either a qb coach to have a guy on the side line and in the booth, or some one to be a qc coach to ensure the game plan prep and execution on offence is on par. 

9 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Jefferson I am not worried about yet but bighill is quickly getting to that point IMO.

Agree. I saw too much of biggie not reading the play at all and just running into the plugged a gap/ol and getting washed out on out runs. Just taking him self right out of the play on runs other than up the gut. 

2 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Yeah, WIllie I  am not sure if it's a drop or being worn out. Like if it had been the Jeff's, Habra and a solid nat all year would he be better. 

agree. And, a freakin nose tackle. We brought in soo many in camp and then just don’t use one. 

We did not come to play. When we do... we will win.

Our special teams need work across the board... kicking is too shallow and too low - giving teams easy field position - free field goals. Our return teams are lack-lustre at best - with no threat currently as returners. May need to replace our ST coordinator... something is not jiving.

As much as booch's (no offense) consistent complaining regarding roster management - I think booch may have a point -- we need to look long and hard at what players give us the best chance to win.

On the offense - we are playing well - but need to control the pace of the game using a mixture of run and pass. Gameplan needs to mix it up to prevent Zach's 'happy feet'.

Defense - why are our DBs constantly playing 15 yards off the receivers - free first downs -- its not fun to watch.

Need heart and intensity.

Pardon the rant.

We need to play the full 60 minutes to win & we didn't do that again yesterday. 

I'm the biggest Collaros fan, but he hasn't looked right for about half of the season & it started before the hit that took him out. Too many picks. Gotta fix that.

We need an upgrade at returner. Waiting for Grant will cost us.

Biggie is on the back end of his career. Still a decent MLB who can cover side to side, but not the exceptional MLB he used to be. 

It's looking like our dominant days are coming to an end. Toronto has caught up and BC's not too far behind. 

Not concerned with WJ...He's a freak athlete, and is being worn down, he needs to have things back to 65 75% of snaps, and he will be dominate....there a reason he seems to have hit a bit of a wall.....If we had a rotation of the Jeff's and Haba, along with Hansen in lieu of Mauro...I assume he ahs to be close....and things right there would look like a world of difference, and they would be fresh throughout the game. 

Our interior tho after Lawson and Walker sucks....bigtime, and Walker and Lawson could use another impactful DT in a bad way to make them more effective, they decent, but not world beaters alone, but with a compliment to them, things again would be different...We have Fox on the PR....he looked decent in his one start, and looked good in BC....Why we don't even just try it to see is plain foolish, and if the staff think he is no better than Bennett and Thomas...then why is he here???

Thomas in my opinion should been replaced this yr, and his best before date is long expired...he has a few stats, but he himself even admitted he got those stats from the play basically just being filtered into him...watch him now...he has a bull rush, and it's rarely impactful and he gets engaged and cant release....and you usually see him jogging up behind the play basically doing nothing.

Same with Bennett...has made maybe 3 plays of impact all yr, gets fooled often, and really doesn't seem to have a nose for the ballcarrier...Cole or Clements could give the same input off the edge and actually track a QB or rb down from behind and keep contain way better...but he is our 1st round pick (awful pick btw) so we will be saddled with him all yr.....Cause they don't wanna look like the made a mistake. And don't even get me started on Schmeckle...like wtf is that and wtf kind of pick was that in draft

If you lined up our roster, outside of the Jeff's....Lawson and Haba what other players would get picked up if we dumped them, or make another teams roster?...I tell you...none...Maybe a PR spot but that would be a stretch

Sadly things are easily fixed moving forward....if we want to do it...I would have the Jeffs' with a rotation with Haba (for Jackson) also you have Lawson as the starter, not Thomas, and truthfully I would take Thomas right off the roster and replace him with Kelly mainly for ST work, and back-up safety/db....We aren't using Cole and Clements effectively on defence as it is, and never together so pick one and replace the other with Fox....and allocate one of the Jeff's as a Nationalized American.....We would then have the Jeff's...Haba...Walker...Fox...Lawson....and Bennett 7 dlineman who save for Bennet could all be very effective, as opposed to the  man group we been trotting out...2 of whom could effectively be cut and we wouldn't miss them....how anyone can say that lineup wouldn't make us a better defence and a more well rounded roster is just plain not looking, or too blind to see it

Cause as it appears we seem to be tied to starting Kramdi at SAM...why I dont know, as he is nothing special, and average at best, so we could run many a set with our 4 best dlineman on the field at will...all American and all with ability to make a difference with no effect to the ratio...

I would also swap the Aussie punters to see if that helps in the kicking game, and let Schmidt try kickoffs too...and boom them deep...he can kick off btw...seen it personally....and he can boom punts with killer hangtime....then decide who makes our squad better...because all year now....kick coverage has been abysmal and is killing us in games and giving teams basically gifted 3 points way too often.....

I would also be in Hallerjula ears for next year....cause they way we are rosterd that DA on a kicker is crippling us, if we could get him and have him do all 3 jobs we be so much better off...Castillo sure is good, but if you wasting a DA on him he needs to be Medlock good and do all the kicking roles...That woukd allow us to roster a Hansen and a karomoka who would help us big time on teams and have ability to back up a few of the DB positions and SAM

I think a proper rotation along the defensive line goes a long way to fixing the D. Kramdi is not nearly as bad as his detractors make it see.. is he an all-star? No but he's decent and probably still the best option.  As long as Ritchie Hall is the d coordinator dbs will be giving a cushion so we just need to accept that. 

Just now, 17to85 said:

I think a proper rotation along the defensive line goes a long way to fixing the D. Kramdi is not nearly as bad as his detractors make it see.. is he an all-star? No but he's decent and probably still the best option.  As long as Ritchie Hall is the d coordinator dbs will be giving a cushion so we just need to accept that. 

rotation....with the right personnel would be a night and day difference...thats the key part to it....and we could do it with the right ones if we wanted to, thats the frustrating part

Decent also doesn't cut it....and I dont think he is the best option, and I know exactly why he being the option right now, but why beat a dead horse to death...He is an Osh fav in cole's notes and will be there until he gets injured now

His post game presser as well gave no confidence in anything they are doing or thinking as well....he almost seems clueless or oblivious to things

1 minute ago, Booch said:

rotation....with the right personnel would be a night and day difference...thats the key part to it....and we could do it with the right ones if we wanted to, thats the frustrating part

Decent also doesn't cut it....and I dont think he is the best option, and I know exactly why he being the option right now, but why beat a dead horse to death...He is an Osh fav in cole's notes and will be there until he gets injured now

His post game presser as well gave no confidence in anything they are doing or thinking as well....he almost seems clueless or oblivious to things

O'Shea seems to have succumbed to the Dave Ritchie syndrome- loving his pet players more than the team he is responsible for. Being and ex-player with a starry career, he is a player's coach, which is good and bad. As good as O'Shea has been, Walters has built this team and will likely be in conflict with O'Shea if this persists. We will not know what is going on internally but we have to hope the self-preservation, if nothing else, will motivate O'Shea to do whatis needed and soon.