Game Day Thread - Lions @ Bombers. Week 3

JCon

8 minutes ago, Mike said:

I don’t think that has anything to do with it. I remember the play in question because it looked off to me at the time too, just not for the reasons Bigblue is suggesting.

It looked to me like Collaros threw it as a post, Schoen thought it was a straight go route and had to adjust as he came back in towards the DB (who he had beaten already) and he slowed up to do it.

obviously not sure there what the mix up is, could be a million other things beyond the QB/WR not being on the same page but to me, he hesitated because he had to come back towards the middle of the field when he’s expecting that ball to drop in over the back shoulder over the man he already beat.

I think he hesitated when trying to locate the ball as well. Definitely there was a mix up by somebody. Story of the day really. Guys just making mental errors in every aspect yesterday. Haven't seen that in a while. Schoen didn't practice this week, and neither did BO who failed twice to recognize or pick up the blitz. I now wonder if some of our guys took the week off from the film room too. Not trying to cast shade on our players, they are young and it's hard to grind every week, but man there were so many mental gaffes this week.

Edited by GCn20

I actually have a lot of thoughts and WTFs about this game (including not one but several of the Schoen targets) but after I outlined a whole post, I realized that the entire team just inexplicably sucked and it's not worth my time to write out. This wasn't a case of "if these few things were just executed properly it would have been way different". We completely didn't show up and BC completely did. Wow, been ages since we looked like the pre-August '16 Bombers and maybe we all have so much PTSD that it hurts way more to watch that. This is purely a case of flush and move on.

Edited by blue_or_die

Was a bad...out of sync off game all around....a smattering of poor play calling and scheme and a splash of poor roster make-up garnished with some injury issues...which are compounded by said poor roster makeup

I see once Lawson and Jeffcoat back...More Fox....Less Walker....more growth from Haba, Hansen back taking reps, and the ability to put an import elsewhere in place of Jackson (dline or DB) when Miller is back, a lot of the defensive issues may become non issues, especially if/when Wilson is back and back to old self....even tho in my opinion Clements has been least of the issues

Also...Parker back will be huge....Rose back will be huge...if he is finally 100 %...and the insertion of Muhamed as well will solidify things....Eliminating Schmeckle and Bennet right out of the mix, and majorly down sizing Fatboi's reps....we be golden

Not concerned about the offence at all....was an anomaly and not the norm

Possibly the worst game of Bryant’s career, and he was his regular self in the first two weeks, gotta think it’s just a one off. Credit to BC if they were able to scheme things to find some weakness in Winnipeg’s game plan, but overall, an extremely rare showing from the Bombers. The last time Zach was held without a TD pass in a game was 2021, just unlikely it happens again.

6 minutes ago, Booch said:

Was a bad...out of sync off game all around....a smattering of poor play calling and scheme and a splash of poor roster make-up garnished with some injury issues...which are compounded by said poor roster makeup

I see once Lawson and Jeffcoat back...More Fox....Less Walker....more growth from Haba, Hansen back taking reps, and the ability to put an import elsewhere in place of Jackson (dline or DB) when Miller is back, a lot of the defensive issues may become non issues, especially if/when Wilson is back and back to old self....even tho in my opinion Clements has been least of the issues

Also...Parker back will be huge....Rose back will be huge...if he is finally 100 %...and the insertion of Muhamed as well will solidify things....Eliminating Schmeckle and Bennet right out of the mix, and majorly down sizing Fatboi's reps....we be golden

Not concerned about the offence at all....was an anomaly and not the norm

I'm excited for Parker but Holm was just awesome last night I thought. It's the corners where we need help. Would love to have Rose and Houston on the field at the same time.

Agree about the DL comments though. We need more of both serviceable (don't have to be superstar) DTs and DEs just so we can get back to rotation and keep pressure high on every play with fresh legs.

Look to when our dline was dominant and disruptive...ws a regular rotation of 7..8 guys...why we moved away from that is bizzare.....Parker is the 2nd best DB we have...and physical so when he is back, I can't see him not back, as we need his tackling ability's...Muhamed is much the same kind of player too with some physical edge to him...and has experience...I get the Holm love and he makes the odd nice play....but people gloss over his miscues...he offers no physicality and his tackling isnt close to Parker, and I could care less about Osh's comments about his feet....especially when he trots some guys out there on defense at times saying they are starter quality but in actuality they aren't, but sticks to his narrative of it ...his at times unwavering allegiance to some foot soldiers I think cause they been here a while....put in their dues in his eye..whatever it is....is a major achilles heel

2 minutes ago, Bombertown said:

Going to be honest, I understand that rose was great a few years ago but I just don’t understand the hype anymore. He’s good but I wouldn’t say he’s great. 

played hurt all yr last yr....and when was almost healthy in last game or 2...and playoffs...played well...and fact of matter...unless we bring in another Alford or Nichols is prob one our top 3 db's....plain and simple...2 our top DB's are parked on the IR right now....and I dont think its a stretch to say when up to speed Muhamed will be one of the top 4 with them and Nichols

6 minutes ago, Booch said:

Look to when our dline was dominant and disruptive...ws a regular rotation of 7..8 guys...why we moved away from that is bizzare.....Parker is the 2nd best DB we have...and physical so when he is back, I can't see him not back, as we need his tackling ability's...Muhamed is much the same kind of player too with some physical edge to him...and has experience...I get the Holm love and he makes the odd nice play....but people gloss over his miscues...he offers no physicality and his tackling isnt close to Parker, and I could care less about Osh's comments about his feet....especially when he trots some guys out there on defense at times saying they are starter quality but in actuality they aren't, but sticks to his narrative of it ...his at times unwavering allegiance to some foot soldiers I think cause they been here a while....put in their dues in his eye..whatever it is....is a major achilles heel

played hurt all yr last yr....and when was almost healthy in last game or 2...and playoffs...played well...and fact of matter...unless we bring in another Alford or Nichols is prob one our top 3 db's....plain and simple...2 our top DB's are parked on the IR right now....and I dont think its a stretch to say when up to speed Muhamed will be one of the top 4 with them and Nichols

Agree to disagree 🤷‍♂️

Sometimes we got to admit, Father Time is (finally) catching up on some of our starters.

Body cannot do what the mind want to do kinda thing. Body cant keep up with the physical grind and so easily get injured, slower to heal and slower to react on the field. 

1 hour ago, Bombertown said:

Could it be maybe he needs a break to recover from this injury that’s kept him from practice for the last 3 weeks? Lawler will be nice to have in there to get him some rest. Any idea when that will be?

How about the late, penalized hit he took early in the game? When he hit the turf he grabbed his face mask. I'm only a twitter doctor, but isn't that a head injury indicator?? I was surprised he wasn't pulled off for concussion protocol. We have the concussion spotters don't we? 

17 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Sometimes we got to admit, Father Time is (finally) catching up on some of our starters.

Body cannot do what the mind want to do kinda thing. Body cant keep up with the physical grind and so easily get injured, slower to heal and slower to react on the field. 

I mean, other than Bryant, which of our older players showed significantly worse than our younger ones?

Off week, but i can’t see any reasonable way to blame the age of our vets on this one.

19 minutes ago, ddanger said:

How about the late, penalized hit he took early in the game? When he hit the turf he grabbed his face mask. I'm only a twitter doctor, but isn't that a head injury indicator?? I was surprised he wasn't pulled off for concussion protocol. We have the concussion spotters don't we? 

3 games into the season and Schoen has already taken a ton of punishing hits, I wonder if word has gotten around among league DC's that the best way to stop him, is to break him.  

7 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

So which of Alexander and Nichols do you have him ahead of?

I wasnt including BA in the DB assessment...but if you want clarity Nichols is the best db....then BA when they don't have him playing whatever role they had him doing last night...I was referring more to the CB's and HB's 

54 minutes ago, Booch said:

I honestly don't think our DBs problem is tackling/physical play...like not even close. I've seen Holm tackle the RB, as far as I've seen our DBs have not been whiffing on tackles. Like at all. The problem is they are having to tackle too much. Coverage has been the issue. Holm has far and away been our best cover guy outside of Houston. If we're relying on our field side HB to make plays on the RB...that's a problem, full stop. He's going to have to from time and time that's just football, and he has. But I completely disagree that Holms has somehow been a liability more so than any other DB outside of Houston.

6 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I honestly don't think our DBs problem is tackling/physical play...like not even close. I've seen Holm tackle the RB, as far as I've seen our DBs have not been whiffing on tackles. Like at all. The problem is they are having to tackle too much. Coverage has been the issue. Holm has far and away been our best cover guy outside of Houston. If we're relying on our field side HB to make plays on the RB...that's a problem, full stop. He's going to have to from time and time that's just football, and he has. But I completely disagree that Holms has somehow been a liability more so than any other DB outside of Houston.

Lawrence was our worst DB last night. Not a good game from him.

I think our best secondary is likely Parker at boundary corner, Nichols at boundary half, Holm at field half, Houston at field corner.

Holm and Parker are somewhat interchangeable.  Muhammad is a bit of a wildcard.  I think he'll get on with Parker out but I don't see him displacing either HB.

But we'd be lucky if all those guys are active by the Sask rematch here even with the current injuries.

I'm not sure how much Rose will be active this year.  He hasn't been healthy at all since he came back from the NFL.

1 hour ago, blue_or_die said:

I actually have a lot of thoughts and WTFs about this game (including not one but several of the Schoen targets) but after I outlined a whole post, I realized that the entire team just inexplicably sucked and it's not worth my time to write out. This wasn't a case of "if these few things were just executed properly it would have been way different". We completely didn't show up and BC completely did. Wow, been ages since we looked like the pre-August '16 Bombers and maybe we all have so much PTSD that it hurts way more to watch that. This is purely a case of flush and move on.

The Bombers haven't faced adversity in so long that when they didn't get off to a red hot start things snowballed in a very negative way.

5 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I think our best secondary is likely Parker at boundary corner, Nichols at boundary half, Holm at field half, Houston at field corner.

Holm and Parker are somewhat interchangeable.  Muhammad is a bit of a wildcard.  I think he'll get on with Parker out but I don't see him displacing either HB.

But we'd be lucky if all those guys are active by the Sask rematch here even with the current injuries.

I'm not sure how much Rose will be active this year.  He hasn't been healthy at all since he came back from the NFL.

I hope Rose comes back soon. He is a leader in that secondary and is extremely good at communicating and getting guys to where they need to be pre-snap.

1 hour ago, M.O.A.B. said:

I could buy that except that our older players, with the exception of our OL, were not the problem last night.....and our OL was just absolutely dominant the last two weeks before. I don't buy that age suddenly caught up to Neuf, Yoshi, and Bryant in the span of 5 days when the far more likely scenario is that collectively they just weren't prepared for what BC game planned. It was an awesome game plan by the BC DC. Hats off to him, he had our guys confused and off balance all night.

Edited by GCn20

Parker is a much better HB than Corner.....I think our best corner combo would be Rose and Houston...I would have said Rose and Lawrence but he has been hit or miss this yr...more miss than hit....now is it he is trying to lean over and help the HB too much...or is he just not producing for some reason...find it a bit puzzling because he is actually a good corner...sure we will get it sorted out tho when its crunch time...I'm more concerned with the interior D-LINE and the rotational end if Jeffcoat is just someone who we cant depend on when he gets back in line-up

Just now, BBlink said:

Nobody has brought up BA at all. I dont know how to assess his play. But it doesn't seem like he's making any big hits or pass breakups. Anybody been watching him? 

they have had him vacated from the middle lots....moved up closer to the box....not sure why...but thats one reason...and also a reason it seems we been geting gouged in intermediate plays in middle of the field

4 minutes ago, Booch said:

they have had him vacated from the middle lots....moved up closer to the box....not sure why...but thats one reason...and also a reason it seems we been geting gouged in intermediate plays in middle of the field

Ritchie Hall doing his stupid blitz everyone not covering somebody thing that he likes to do. It's totally ineffective because it makes for too easy completions