Game Day Thread - Lions @ Bombers. Week 3

JCon

Just a comment about the age of our roster.  I don't have any issue with it as we're coming off a 15-3 season and barely lost the Champeenship.  I'd have a different view if we were .500 or worse and didn't make changes.

We got whooped and it's better to find bottom now than later.

As an old Ukrainian curler once said to me in a similar situation:  "The birds aren't singing for me today".

The birds will sing again and it won't be the Allouette variety, either.

It's a one off. Our guys were not mentally prepared for this game. That much was self evident by the penalties, receivers dropping catchable balls, and overall just lazy effort. This will be a hit to their egos and that's a good thing. Nothing worse than when a team is red hot and starts reading the press clippings. These are the kind of games you get afterwards. BC humbled them, and I am glad they did it. Now they should know that wins aren't just automatic and require total effort all the time.

Well we didn't show up for this one.....that wasn't Bomber Ball.....We made them look like 'world beaters' while we looked like 'bottom feeders'.....The worst I've seen this team look in a few years.....It certainly looked like the leos had our playbook.....should have put Pigrome in for a change of pace .....but who knows the way we were playing it might not have made any difference.....We need some key players back....AND where the hell is Lawler.....Looks like immigration is hanging him out to dry....and for cripes sake give the lemmonater a call...You can't let a guy like Vaj carve you up without constant pressure

18 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I said, you want to beat the Bombers dominate the offensive line. Don't hate me for being right, cry because the OL let it happen.

Maybe the single worse game I've seen Mr.Bryant play as a Bomber. He was getting burnt all game long.

People talking about the Defense etc etc...who didn't perform like we're used to in years past. But we all talked about how that's how this team was going to be this year. 30+ points would be needed more often than not.

This loss is 100% on the offense. More specifically on the Olines pass protection. And I'll even throw Buck under the bus a bit as the play calling was bland and didn't help the protection issues going on all night. Not sure why that happens, but it was frustrating to watch.

16 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

It's a one off. Our guys were not mentally prepared for this game. That much was self evident by the penalties, receivers dropping catchable balls, and overall just lazy effort. This will be a hit to their egos and that's a good thing. Nothing worse than when a team is red hot and starts reading the press clippings. These are the kind of games you get afterwards. BC humbled them, and I am glad they did it. Now they should know that wins aren't just automatic and require total effort all the time.

That deep pass to Schoen that was just out of reach when he had 2 steps on Sayles...it was a double move and for whatever reason, we he came out of his stop, he slowed down and then realized the ball was on the way. If he runs hard like he normally does, that's 6 points. Dunigan even commented on him slowing down after the replay.

55 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I thought that the ball touched the ground on BC's big catch at the 2 going into the half, so they got 4 unearned points on that drive.

Watching the replay on TV, the tip of the ball absolutely hit the ground. How that wasn't reviewed by the command centre is still a mystery to me.

Any injury updates on Tui?

My view of it is that while i would like to have seen a better pass rush from out D the real problem here was the play of our offensive line vs BC's dline. It looks like BC dedicated their offseason to identifying weaknesses in Winnipeg's team, scheming, and bringing in players who can exploit our weaknesses.  We've been exposed. We will have to make adjustments in order to remain dominant. 

17 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

That deep pass to Schoen that was just out of reach when he had 2 steps on Sayles...it was a double move and for whatever reason, we he came out of his stop, he slowed down and then realized the ball was on the way. If he runs hard like he normally does, that's 6 points. Dunigan even commented on him slowing down after the replay.

I don’t think that’s a fair assessment, it looked to me like he hesitated because Zach threw him back towards the middle of the field which is probably not where that ball should’ve been. I didn’t see him slow much off his release, just tracking the ball in flight. 

1 minute ago, Mike said:

I don’t think that’s a fair assessment, it looked to me like he hesitated because Zach threw him back towards the middle of the field which is probably not where that ball should’ve been. I didn’t see him slow much off his release, just tracking the ball in flight. 

Could it be maybe he needs a break to recover from this injury that’s kept him from practice for the last 3 weeks? Lawler will be nice to have in there to get him some rest. Any idea when that will be?

1 minute ago, Bombertown said:

Could it be maybe he needs a break to recover from this injury that’s kept him from practice for the last 3 weeks? Lawler will be nice to have in there to get him some rest. Any idea when that will be?

They initially said 3 or 4 games.  I don't think there's going to be an update until he's got paperwork in hand.

25 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Maybe the single worse game I've seen Mr.Bryant play as a Bomber. He was getting burnt all game long.

People talking about the Defense etc etc...who didn't perform like we're used to in years past. But we all talked about how that's how this team was going to be this year. 30+ points would be needed more often than not.

This loss is 100% on the offense. More specifically on the Olines pass protection. And I'll even throw Buck under the bus a bit as the play calling was bland and didn't help the protection issues going on all night. Not sure why that happens, but it was frustrating to watch.

Demski's interception tip was a catchable ball, so were another couple as well. Just a sloppy game by our receivers as well.

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

Just an extra step in his move and the play got out of synch. That happens, I'm not going to blame anyone for that. I will question the playcalling though. Too many deep shots and 2nd and 5 were killing drives as well. Sometimes you gotta go to small ball to build drives and Pierce kept going for kill shots even though it seems it wasn't our day for them.

2 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I’m realizing now that since Cuthbert left, the TSN commentary is actively ruining my enjoyment of the games. 
We’ve heard a lot of awful PBP guys over the years but I can’t name one worse than Rod Smith.
Even the 21 GC is hard to re-watch because of the terrible commentary. 

To each his own.  The Smith/Dunigan combo is my favorite.

22 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Watching the replay on TV, the tip of the ball absolutely hit the ground. How that wasn't reviewed by the command centre is still a mystery to me.

They won't review receptions unless challenged or on a scoring play. Unfortunate that the replays didn't come in until after it was too late.

30 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I agree that the OL sucked, but two sacks were a direct result of BO not picking up the blitz. We held him out of practice, and it showed.

48 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Two years ago we got soundly trounced by the Argos led by Arbuckle of all people. **** happens I guess, but this one was pretty bad.

Meh....we were just completely out of synch. Obviously we did not have a particularly good week of practice and preparation.

3 minutes ago, Bombertown said:

Their DBs did a great job period. I think it was just an off game for us

Their DBs are a veteran crew, and we kept trying deep shots without much misdirection. It was not a good game plan by Buck.

26 minutes ago, Booch said:

On a positive note...team will have watched film and flushed this game, and moved on to make the corrections needed...that much we know, and the vet lineup won't let this linger or affect them....

For sure. It identified some areas of need as well. I expect that KW will approach it with a little more urgency than an undefeated GM would, so there is a silver lining. Just like week 1 and 2, our secondary looked poor. Our fixes are already here for that and just need to get healthy.

Edited by GCn20

Just now, Wideleft said:

To each his own.  The Smith/Dunigan combo is my favourite 

I love Dunnigan too. It’s really just Smith and to a lesser extent Neilson that I can’t stand. 
Too folksy, both of them.
The PBP guy should give a dignified, somewhat serious air. Like Don Wittman, Cuthbert, Mark Lee. 
I was never a fan of the goofier PBP guys like Neilson and John Wells. Gotta have that contrast with the personality of the colour guy. 

1 minute ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I love Dunnigan too. It’s really just Smith and to a lesser extent Neilson that I can’t stand. 
Too folksy, both of them.
The PBP guy should give a dignified, somewhat serious air. Like Don Wittman, Cuthbert, Mark Lee. 
I was never a fan of the goofier PBP guys like Neilson and John Wells. Gotta have that contrast with the personality of the colour guy. 

Cuthbert and Wells are probably my 2 favorite all-time.  Didn't like Wittman or Armitage for any sport.  Mark Lee was great for athletics, but the worst volleyball play-by-play man in the history of television.

Again, personal preferences.

1 minute ago, Wideleft said:

Cuthbert and Wells are probably my 2 favorite all-time.  Didn't like Wittman or Armitage for any sport.  Mark Lee was great for athletics, but the worst volleyball play-by-play man in the history of television.

Again, personal preferences.

For sure, just a matter of preference. 
My all time favourite for TV was Don Wittman and Lancaster, with Cuthbert or Mark Lee with Walby as a close second. 
Really, I much preferred the presentation when it was on CBC. It just felt more important. 
TSN was always more gimmicky, it’s become worse over the last decade. 
Leave the party to the stadium, the football broadcast should be a football broadcast. Nothing more. 

15 minutes ago, Bombertown said:

I don’t think that has anything to do with it. I remember the play in question because it looked off to me at the time too, just not for the reasons Bigblue is suggesting.

It looked to me like Collaros threw it as a post, Schoen thought it was a straight go route and had to adjust as he came back in towards the DB (who he had beaten already) and he slowed up to do it.

obviously not sure there what the mix up is, could be a million other things beyond the QB/WR not being on the same page but to me, he hesitated because he had to come back towards the middle of the field when he’s expecting that ball to drop in over the back shoulder over the man he already beat.

12 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

To each his own.  The Smith/Dunigan combo is my favorite.

Dunnigan's awesome, sometimes I don't know whether he's had a few pops or some edibles or that's just him or a combo of all. 🙂

I love how he critiques players no matter the jersey and who they are.

I miss Dave Randorf, I liked what you brought to the mix.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

I don’t think that has anything to do with it. I remember the play in question because it looked off to me at the time too, just not for the reasons Bigblue is suggesting.

It looked to me like Collaros threw it as a post, Schoen thought it was a straight go route and had to adjust as he came back in towards the DB (who he had beaten already) and he slowed up to do it.

obviously not sure there what the mix up is, could be a million other things beyond the QB/WR not being on the same page but to me, he hesitated because he had to come back towards the middle of the field when he’s expecting that ball to drop in over the back shoulder over the man he already beat.

Only saw it the once but thought he may have hesitated as to not draw OPI, it looked like he may have been trying not to run back through the DB.