Blue Bombers - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

2 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

The block is legal if the pass is caught behind the line of scrimmage (like Hamilton did against us in the 2019 Grey Cup). On Bailey’s block the LOS was the 6 and McCrae caught it on the 5. 

I believe it's also a newer rule that just came in over the past couple of years, so if Calgary has done it before and got away with it, it may have been before the new rule came in.

Edit:;

Just looked it up and it appears it was a new rule in 2018:

Article 13 — Blindside Blocking

It shall be illegal for any player to deliver a forcible block on an opponent while moving back towards their own dead ball line anywhere on the field.

Edited by Sard
added rule

1 hour ago, Sard said:

I believe it's also a newer rule that just came in over the past couple of years, so if Calgary has done it before and got away with it, it may have been before the new rule came in.

It shall be illegal for any player to deliver a forcible block on an opponent while moving back towards their own dead ball line anywhere on the field.

Iirc they really struggled with implementation of that rule change. Lots of questionable calls and none calls in all directions. I feel like it’s to the point you very seldom see it called any more. 

1 hour ago, Sard said:

MOS talked about this. Said Bailey just hit him too hard.

Hates it, but thems the rules.

6 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Iirc they really struggled with implementation of that rule change. Lots of questionable calls and none calls in all directions. I feel like it’s to the point you very seldom see it called any more. 

It's dangerous as hell.......they can't miss those calls .....IF and when they do....that's incompetency and has to be addressed

meh....good on Bailey...sends the message to teams that they need to keep head on a swivel and can't 100% focus on ball carrier cause they could get popped....will have lingering effects and be talked about as a point in their team discussions when breaking down film on us....advantageous for sure....I like how he rocked that Dequay goof too on the one BO run where he didnt go out of bounds and ran over the db

1 hour ago, Booch said:

meh....good on Bailey...sends the message to teams that they need to keep head on a swivel and can't 100% focus on ball carrier cause they could get popped....will have lingering effects and be talked about as a point in their team discussions when breaking down film on us....advantageous for sure....I like how he rocked that Dequay goof too on the one BO run where he didnt go out of bounds and ran over the db

live by the sword......die by the ....well you know.....I don't want to see one of our guys go down because of one of those shots.....

5 minutes ago, Stickem said:

live by the sword......die by the ....well you know.....I don't want to see one of our guys go down because of one of those shots.....

Fair point.

I love to see our players play on the edge and set the tone, etc. But pay back's a b***h, too.

teams take pot shots at our guys anyway...with actual intent to hurt...Bailey there....basically from a stand still was just making a legit clean block....in my opinion...he didnt come racing back to the L.O.S or come from 15 yards across the field

13 minutes ago, Booch said:

teams take pot shots at our guys anyway...with actual intent to hurt...Bailey there....basically from a stand still was just making a legit clean block....in my opinion...he didnt come racing back to the L.O.S or come from 15 yards across the field

Yeah, that hit wasn't that bad....looked worse than it was. Is 100% a penalty. But not dirty imo. It was unfortunate because if he doesn't do that, I think the td happens still. Kind of a pointless block in that sense.

3 hours ago, wbbfan said:

It’s called almost all the time at all levels of football until you reach the pro’s. Then not so much.

On the Bailey penalty...pass is still behind LOS, McCrae about level with line judge who's marking that.  Issue is Bailey peels back from about the 3 to the 6 and throws the heavy block at the back left shoulder of 37.

Yeah I guess you might get a reputation from tuning guys up like that, but even if you just stay shoulder to shoulder and take the swing out it's probably not flagged and you get to keep the play.

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

On the Bailey penalty...pass is still behind LOS, McCrae about level with line judge who's marking that.  Issue is Bailey peels back from about the 3 to the 6 and throws the heavy block at the back left shoulder of 37.

Yeah I guess you might get a reputation from tuning guys up like that, but even if you just stay shoulder to shoulder and take the swing out it's probably not flagged and you get to keep the play.

He just needed to get in the guys way, he got penalized for knocking him down which wasn't necessary.

4 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Crack back blocks have been illegal for years. You can only use a legal block if the ball is caught behind the LOS, so it didn't matter where the ball was actually caught. 

It's illegal to block downfield at all before the pass is caught if it's over the LOS.  That was the point of the earlier discussion.

Bailey for sure makes the block before the catch and McCrae is only about a toe behind the LOS when he catches it.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

Main new rule they added a few years ago is a guy down the field coming back to line of scrimmage to take a guy out who is pursuing the ball carrier headed up the field....before it was okay...not now....Thats where I thought the Bailey one was pretty marginal and kind of piddly...he never really was coming back from well past the line of scrimmage, and was pretty much still in the box...almost like a tackle or end sealing off the edge....good lesson learned tho for a game where it matters and next time just be less efficient

34 minutes ago, Booch said:

Main new rule they added a few years ago is a guy down the field coming back to line of scrimmage to take a guy out who is pursuing the ball carrier headed up the field....before it was okay...not now....Thats where I thought the Bailey one was pretty marginal and kind of piddly...he never really was coming back from well past the line of scrimmage, and was pretty much still in the box...almost like a tackle or end sealing off the edge....good lesson learned tho for a game where it matters and next time just be less efficient

The line of scrimmage doesn't matter for that rule, it's just the action of moving backward toward your own endzone and throwing a block.  Could happen on either side of the line of scrimmage or a kick play.

22 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The line of scrimmage doesn't matter for that rule, it's just the action of moving backward toward your own endzone and throwing a block.  Could happen on either side of the line of scrimmage or a kick play.

leads a lot to be considered and interpreted then...seeing as the dead ball line is the back of the end zone then any player....lets say an o-lineman, or a set back blocker...who in protection pounds or pancakes a guy coming off the edge wide and is headed back to say the qb....or a delayed hand-off and you take him out would be called multiple times a game...if not per quarter....it's a huge judgement call, and a rue that needs more clarity and situational interpretation

It's simple. You can't come back towards the LOS and block a guy at any time.

9 hours ago, Sard said:

Therefore it doesn't matter when the ball was caught or where the ball was caught. It doesn't matter if the player being blocked is past the LOS or behind the LOS either. Those blocks can be called on punt returns down field 40 yards from the LOS. 

1 hour ago, Booch said:

leads a lot to be considered and interpreted then...seeing as the dead ball line is the back of the end zone then any player....lets say an o-lineman, or a set back blocker...who in protection pounds or pancakes a guy coming off the edge wide and is headed back to say the qb....or a delayed hand-off and you take him out would be called multiple times a game...if not per quarter....it's a huge judgement call, and a rue that needs more clarity and situational interpretation

I haven't found it that hard to coach.  For linemen they just have to reestablish position.  For the most part if they lose and they try to recover they'd be clipping someone anyways (blocking from behind).  If it's a run and they get beat upfield they can run interference on the DL now pursuing the back who is going upfield, but they can't just level the guy running upfield.  Be a speed bump basically and re-engage at that point chest to chest, not shoulder to chest (of course not head) or shoulder to shoulder.

Yeah you can't tee a guy up on a counter or something going against the flow.  But if you just rub a guy out of the play it won't be called.  It's the 'hit' aspect that gets flagged.  If you're there and the guy would have to run through you that's not a flag.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

3 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

It's simple. You can't come back towards the LOS and block a guy at any time.

Therefore it doesn't matter when the ball was caught or where the ball was caught. It doesn't matter if the player being blocked is past the LOS or behind the LOS either. Those blocks can be called on punt returns down field 40 yards from the LOS. 

“Forcible block”

It’s a judgment call by the ref on what constitutes force. 

15 hours ago, Booch said:

well....we werent talking about punt returns....but a screen pass in the backfield

The fact that it was a screen pass has no bearing on the call.

12 hours ago, Jesse said:

“Forcible block”

It’s a judgment call by the ref on what constitutes force. 

That's why if you just get in the way, it's not called but a real block gets called.