Blue Bombers - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

54 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

You're making a lot of assumptions. That's it. You don't know why Piggy was let go. You don't know why Prukop was brought back. No one on this forum does.

Go tell that to MOS. lol.

I’m not saying he is destined to be a legend. I’ve seen him make throws that I doubt  Prokup could make with zero defenders on the field. 

“He was playing backups”. Right, and he had never played a down of any CFL ball. The throw he made in Edmonton would be Prukop’s lifetime achievement. 

Do I get the logic? Sure. 

Doesn’t mean I’m indifferent to seeing Pigrome leave because he had a tough game being a glorified RB. 

7 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

I’m not saying he is destined to be a legend. I’ve seen him make throws that I doubt  Prokup could make with zero defenders on the field. 

“He was playing backups”. Right, and he had never played a down of any CFL ball. The throw he made in Edmonton would be Prukop’s lifetime achievement. 

Doesn’t mean I’m indifferent to seeing Pigrome leave because he had a tough game being a glorified RB. 

Again, you don't know that to be the case. How well did he pick up the playbook? Trick question, cause none of us know. Maybe he just wasn't getting it? The point is...the guys who found Streveler and Brown thought Prukop was an upgrade over piggy...im inclined to trust them.

Edited by Bigblue204

10 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

And that may be his problem .. all he might be is a glorified RB. 

So all things being equal .. do you take the guy who has proven he can move the chains, pick up a first down and score on a goalline plunge or do you put your chips in with the guy who was stuffed .. repeatedly .. then never saw the field again because the coaches didn't have faith in him? 

I'm not losing sleep over Pigrome not being here because frankly, if we are ever starting our third string quarterback things have gone off the rails in a BIG way and I'd rather give whatever meaningful game reps that are "left over" from Collaros to the next guy in line, Dru Brown.

1 hour ago, Geebrr said:

Prukop  has never shown anything 

Yes he has. He's shown that he can consistently get the yardage required when called upon, which is usually a yard or so.

If you're saying that Pigrome is a better QB at "real QB play", maybe, but that's entirely irrelevant. Third string QB's job on an O'Shea team has one job and one job only: dive and get a first down/TD. Maybe occasionally make a QB throw or other athletic play. Prukop has shown he has that ability in spades.

To be clear, we are in a win-now mentality. Go for the sure-thing. We are not developing the future at this position. It's the same logic as cutting Legghio for Sergio.

This is coming from someone who's actually pretty m'eh on this move, but the defensiveness shown for a QB who showed well in pre-season vying for a position we are not developing is perplexing.

Prukop has been brought in to do one thing...run the short yardage unit like he did last yr...plain and simple....and I guess the team feels he can do it better right now and throughout the yr than anyone else they have....so good on us for seeing an area we can upgrade and pulling the trigger...He's not here to challenge for QB 1 or QB2...nor was Piggy right now....so we are going with the proven commodity and the option the team is more comfortable with....and thats that...

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

Again, you don't know that to be the case. How well did he pick up the playbook? Trick question, cause none of us know. Maybe he just wasn't getting it? The point is...the guys who found Streveler and Brown thought Prukop was an upgrade over piggy...im inclined to trust them.

It says “Discussion” in the webpage so I thought that was why we were here. 

If you just want to hear what the team did - social media will give you what you want. 

26 minutes ago, blue_or_die said:

Yes he has. He's shown that he can consistently get the yardage required when called upon, which is usually a yard or so.

If you're saying that Pigrome is a better QB at "real QB play", maybe, but that's entirely irrelevant. Third string QB's job on an O'Shea team has one job and one job only: dive and get a first down/TD. Maybe occasionally make a QB throw or other athletic play. Prukop has shown he has that ability in spades.

To be clear, we are in a win-now mentality. Go for the sure-thing. We are not developing the future at this position. It's the same logic as cutting Legghio for Sergio.

This is coming from someone who's actually pretty m'eh on this move, but the defensiveness shown for a QB who showed well in pre-season vying for a position we are not developing is perplexing.

I said I get the logic. 

I said Prukop is a nothing QB and Pigrome has shown actual skill - so he will find another team soon I’m sure. 

End./

1 hour ago, voodoochylde said:

So all things being equal .. do you take the guy who has proven he can move the chains, pick up a first down and score on a goalline plunge or do you put your chips in with the guy who was stuffed .. repeatedly .. then never saw the field again because the coaches didn't have faith in him? 

I'm not losing sleep over Pigrome not being here because frankly, if we are ever starting our third string quarterback things have gone off the rails in a BIG way and I'd rather give whatever meaningful game reps that are "left over" from Collaros to the next guy in line, Dru Brown.

I don’t disagree. 

23 minutes ago, Booch said:

Prukop has been brought in to do one thing...run the short yardage unit like he did last yr...plain and simple....and I guess the team feels he can do it better right now and throughout the yr than anyone else they have....so good on us for seeing an area we can upgrade and pulling the trigger...He's not here to challenge for QB 1 or QB2...nor was Piggy right now....so we are going with the proven commodity and the option the team is more comfortable with....and thats that...

From MOS:

"He (Dakota Prukop) takes that piece and studies it and perfects it, and says this is my role, right now, and he's going to thrive in it." 

He knows his role and perfects it...that is the philosophy of MOS...that is why we brought him back. 

4 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

He hasn’t as a QB - but he can work short yardage. 

So I get the logic - but he is a garbage QB with no potential. 

I was very much on board last year with "why on earth are we bringing a low-ceiling guy?" and he really is no better than Corny in Edmonton. But.... what he was asked to do last year, he did really well. I know everyone is mad about the throw in the GC, but he'd executed that same play successfully a couple of times last year. It just didn't work out at the most inopportune time last year. 

It definitely sucks to lose the pig, but for what they're concerned about RIGHT NOW, I understand the move and am okay with it. 

That said, when I first heard about it this morning, I laughed and said to myself "well that's going to go over like a lead balloon with the fans...." ha ha. 

45 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

It says “Discussion” in the webpage so I thought that was why we were here. 

If you just want to hear what the team did - social media will give you what you want. 

Me saying that you're making assumptions and then discussing why those assumptions might be wrong is something I consider a discussion. If you want people who just agree with you when your logic has more holes than Swiss cheese I'd suggest discussing this with people who don't have an understanding of professional sports.

5 minutes ago, Booch said:

he's not here for his potential tho...he's here for a specific role...and thats is it.

Removing a guy with high end potential, for a guy with none, in order to fill a specific role that is the easiest in the league and that we aren’t struggling with. When the team is already the oldest in the league and struggling with depth and health that’s a tough pill to swallow. 
 If you can’t coach a guy up to do a qb sneak from rookie camp, through main camp, pre season, and a couple weeks of  the regular season that’s messed up. If a guy is that bad that they couldn’t learn it, you have a failure in talent evaluation keeping him that long. 

personally I’m sure it’s just he wasn’t turn key and they didn’t want to spend the time on qb3 in practice for now. Which is lame. 
 Disappointing talent development, and roster use is hardly a surprise at this point. Hopefully he goes to the pr sits and gets an opportunity down the line and in camp next year. 

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Removing a guy with high end potential, for a guy with none, in order to fill a specific role that is the easiest in the league and that we aren’t struggling with. When the team is already the oldest in the league and struggling with depth and health that’s a tough pill to swallow. 
 If you can’t coach a guy up to do a qb sneak from rookie camp, through main camp, pre season, and a couple weeks of  the regular season that’s messed up. If a guy is that bad that they couldn’t learn it, you have a failure in talent evaluation keeping him that long. 

personally I’m sure it’s just he wasn’t turn key and they didn’t want to spend the time on qb3 in practice for now. Which is lame. 
 Disappointing talent development, and roster use is hardly a surprise at this point. Hopefully he goes to the pr sits and gets an opportunity down the line and in camp next year. 

we've had issues for 2..almost 3 yrs now with keeping guys around that serve no purpose tho...so it shouldn't be a shock...and maybe as some have said...he just wasnt getting it or progressing in practice...or...seeing as ZC is signed thru 2025....that they didnt see need to develop a 3rd stringer that long...who may never supplant Brown, or any future QB we may aquire....so there is that...And maybe in practice...he has been getting denied alot...still.....do you know he's not...or is?.....so maybe they figured we are struggling...and having to use your number 2 and risk injury to him and then god forbid ZC goes down you just left yer ass exposed and are really in a world of crap....lotsa stuff we aren't privy too...Maybe he said he wants to go home this yr and spend time with new kid and come back for next yr?....we dont know

6 minutes ago, Booch said:

we've had issues for 2..almost 3 yrs now with keeping guys around that serve no purpose tho...so it shouldn't be a shock...and maybe as some have said...he just wasnt getting it or progressing in practice...or...seeing as ZC is signed thru 2025....that they didnt see need to develop a 3rd stringer that long...who may never supplant Brown, or any future QB we may aquire....so there is that...And maybe in practice...he has been getting denied alot...still.....do you know he's not...or is?.....so maybe they figured we are struggling...and having to use your number 2 and risk injury to him and then god forbid ZC goes down you just left yer ass exposed and are really in a world of crap....lotsa stuff we aren't privy too...Maybe he said he wants to go home this yr and spend time with new kid and come back for next yr?....we dont know

It’s not as much trouble keeping guys it’s fringe guys with fringe roster and career movements. That said we haven’t had trouble converting short yardage, despite the turn over. Even when a guy like prukop struggles Early on. 
 Brown I think will get better money in the off season else where and maybe a chance to play. 
 None of our recent back ups were shakier in short yardage at first than prukop and no one nearly as bad as brown in his first partial year here. He looked completely out of place. 
 Like I said, if he’s that bad at picking things up it’s a move that should’ve been made a month a go. But if brown gets the leeway he has, can’t tell me pigrome doesn’t deserve that much or more. 

that’s lots of possibilities and each could be true, it’s all wild speculation at that point. But what is clear and factual is our roster useage and development is problematic. Was Thomas the same? Are szott and Schmekel football geniuses and the greatest team mates/locker room guys in history? Do we have a secret stash of ni depth guys waiting to come in and fix our teams? Is abu the greatest db in practice like holm was in camp and that’s why mohammed sat for a green rookie who got torched? etc 

some of the speculated reasons could be the problem in this case or that case, but not all. And the amount of poor decisions doesn’t lend the benefit of the doubt to those possibilities. 

6 minutes ago, Booch said:

we tend to favor a player who has been here a while...over a guy brought in later who is better....why...I dunno...sure it's nice to show loyalty and all...but it's also a business of wins and what have you done for me lately...

Yep. Here it’s a ride them into the dirt type of business. Even if they started out as dirt. We seldom seem to scoop other teams nis actually now that I think about it. And these days teams seldom scoop up our nis short of coming back from the nfl. 

11 minutes ago, CodyT said:

Take it for what it's worth but pigrome did not look like a pro qb in the training camp sessions I attended... frankly I was surprised he made the team even with the pre season effort

Thanks for that...i didn't read too much about him wow'ing in practice either...maybe he wasn't all that a few fans thought he was/is.

5 minutes ago, CodyT said:

Take it for what it's worth but pigrome did not look like a pro qb in the training camp sessions I attended... frankly I was surprised he made the team even with the pre season effort

Could be true, but Piggy made more exciting plays in one quarter than Dru Brown has in two full years with the team, and  even the dumbest of fans instantly recognise excitement.  What are the team's real priorities?  Is it winning, entertaining or selling tickets and putting butts in seats?  

I'm not super high on Brown, I see him as a place holder that if ever given the chance to become a starter will likely pan out well below Arbuckle.  

16 minutes ago, CodyT said:

Consider Charles Roberts probably didn't look or behave much like a pro RB in practice either, O'Shea probably would have cut him too.