CFL - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

Any offensive momentum you are trying to have with a rookie QB goes completely out the window if you start doing stupid shat like that. Probably gets players hurt too. Also, Toronto can't afford losses. Attendance is finally coming up and you don't throw that away by purposely looking like shat the final third of the season.

You are correct. They way this is overcome is practicing the wrinkles from early in camp/the season. The wrinkles aren’t stuff you come up with week to week, it’s progressions long planned for. 
 When they counter the wide zone Toronto loves to run you bust them with an out side zone. Etc. 

Dinwiddie, who is indeed razor sharp and really made some good coaches (including ours) look bad, isn’t dreaming stuff up on the fly and throwing it in. You can be sure the wrinkles they add have been practiced plenty in closed facilities practices for weeks at the least. 

As for Kelly being a rookie or not, he’s like a red shirt junior. He’s had all the seasoning time in both the nfl and cfl you could want. He hasn’t been a starter long and hasn’t yet had to face defensives that are well adapted to him. 
 Rourke was the same deal last year. Silly for either to win rookie of the year, but they aren’t seniors or vets by any stretch. 

we never got to see rourke play a sophomore jinx year. We will see that from Kelly next year. It will be very interesting to see how he does. 

We’ve seen lots of QBs take a step back in the sophomore year, and even get crushed by it (cf comes to mind). 

4 hours ago, 17to85 said:

From your lips to God's ears. 

Man I want to see the Bomber stomp the argos for no reason than to simply see the spin tsn puts on it.

@bluto already got out in front of this one. He may be correct though- If first is locked up, why tip your hand? Why not give some much needed rest for some the guys?

1 hour ago, bluto said:

Not every definition. It's his second year in the CFL. Floated around the NFL trying to catch on for 5 seasons. He's 29. Not a kid we're talking about, And this is his team.

But to try this whole thing from a different tack, if you were Dinwiddie and you won the East with 6 games to go, have no Bye weeks, banged up starters and you play an away game at your most likely Grey Cup opponent (presuming you both make it)... What would you do? Play your starters and show Winnipeg exactly how you'd play them? Don't be silly.

If I'm Dinwiddie, I want to know what my team does well and does not do well against by far the best team they will face this year and most likely Grey Cup foe. There is 6 weeks left and lots of time for adjustment if that team proves to be much better....which I suspect they will. There is nothing that Toronto can hide from us now. The game film is out there. 

Going in and getting trounced in the final third of the season can have devastating effects on a young QB and you can't rest guys for 6 weeks and expect them to have any kind of cohesion come playoff time. You play your best, with your best, until the final couple weeks and get some key vets a breather just before the playoffs. Resting guys with a month and a half to go makes no sense at all.

But hey....if Dinwiddie want to put his roster and game plans in the blender for 2 months of the regular season, he deserves the garbage he will get when they try put it back together.

Edited by GCn20

9 minutes ago, Noeller said:

September 29th is WAY too early to be resting anyone or doing anything out of the ordinary, regardless of your playoff scenario. I have every reason to believe it'll be best on best in that game. 

I think you're right.....Argo's are going to be out to prove that the Cup win was no fluke.....This will be our first meeting since then and you know what they say about 'initial appearances'....they kind of stick......They look like they're hurting a bit...just read Gittens has been placed on the 6 game and they lost a pretty good defender awhile back....I doubt that will change things much and they'll be on top of their game....So will we....I hope it's a slobber knocker

11 minutes ago, Noeller said:

September 29th is WAY too early to be resting anyone or doing anything out of the ordinary, regardless of your playoff scenario. I have every reason to believe it'll be best on best in that game. 

I disagree.

Arblows have first locked up- we don't, we are still being chased by lions and at a distance by riders... we are going full tilt on this one for the win- the arblows are not going to go full out with the playbook and will probably rest one or two guys on the injury list. Also, I would expect a 100% effort on players and scheme if it were a home game- for the fans... but yeah, I would be less inclined if it was an away game. 

If the roles were switched, I would limit the playbook or just show random ****, so they would have to prepare for it. 

3 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

I disagree.

Arblows have first locked up- we don't, we are still being chased by lions and at a distance by riders... we are going full tilt on this one for the win- the arblows are not going to go full out with the playbook and will probably rest one or two guys on the injury list. Also, I would expect a 100% effort on players and scheme if it were a home game- for the fans... but yeah, I would be less inclined if it was an away game. 

If the roles were switched, I would limit the playbook or just show random ****, so they would have to prepare for it. 

if the roles were reversed, O'Shea wouldn't change a thing... he's run the 1s and beat the piss out of whoever lined up across from them. It's the end of September! There's a whole month-plus left yet. No chance anyone is resting their starters that early. 

By the by, we need 4 more points to ensure we finish ahead of the cRiders and the 8 points to ensure we finish ahead of the Lions. 

To finish ahead of the cRiders, we need any combination of 2 more Bomber wins or cRider losses.

And, we need any combination of 4 more Bomber wins or Lions losses. 

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

By the by, we need 4 more points to ensure we finish ahead of the cRiders and the 8 points to ensure we finish ahead of the Lions. 

To finish ahead of the cRiders, we need any combination of 2 more Bomber wins or cRider losses.

And, we need any combination of 4 more Bomber wins or Lions losses. 

And by the by...we have two byes left....(The argo's have none heh heh).....We are looking at a strong finish hopefully with the rest spaced out nicely to take the west

Edited by Stickem

6 hours ago, JCon said:

I saw Biggie this morning doing film work. I won't say where I saw this film work being done 'cause snitches get stitches but... they're gonna be ready!

While anyone proving the "stitches to the snitches" would probably be good at it, I'm quite confident that Biggie would be at an elite level of doing it!  

32 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I hate taking your foot off the pedal. I get wanting to keep guys safe but you don’t want to let up or get away from what works too much. 

I'm of the adage u just forge on...no unnecessary extra rest and let cards fall where they may ..keep Momo going and if someone goes down next man up

23 minutes ago, Booch said:

I'm of the adage u just forge on...no unnecessary extra rest and let cards fall where they may ..keep Momo going and if someone goes down next man up

Harder to stay healthy if you take several weeks or a month off then play a play off game than if you just keep playing. 
 Don’t take unnecessary risks, give guys more reps late in a game than you might normally that’s about it. 

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

if the roles were reversed, O'Shea wouldn't change a thing... he's run the 1s and beat the piss out of whoever lined up across from them. It's the end of September! There's a whole month-plus left yet. No chance anyone is resting their starters that early. 

Doubt it.

Osh is all about head games.

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Harder to stay healthy if you take several weeks or a month off then play a play off game than if you just keep playing. 
 Don’t take unnecessary risks, give guys more reps late in a game than you might normally that’s about it. 

yup...more risk for injury when you ease up....sit when its not warranted and try and play not to....just go out there business as usual

16 hours ago, Tracker said:

Why is he still in the league? He is not particularly good or young and seems to be a disaster waiting to happen.

Micah Awe has the following disciplinary history:

- Week 13 2017 - Fined for 2 illegal hits in 1 game

- Week 18 2022 - Fined for a high hit

- Week 6 2023 -Fined for a high hit on Mason Fine

- Week 7 2023 - Fined for a high hit on Crum

7 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Micah Awe has the following disciplinary history:

- Week 13 2017 - Fined for 2 illegal hits in 1 game

- Week 18 2022 - Fined for a high hit

- Week 6 2023 -Fined for a high hit on Mason Fine

- Week 7 2023 - Fined for a high hit on Crum

add one more from this past week....