CFL - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

35 minutes ago, Stickem said:

I hear ya......It would have to be a friendly deal....Playing for us gets you a shot at playoff dough....I don't think he'd say no to that...He seems like a CFL mercenary ....that might not sit well with fifo and might leave us out of the running....so who knows....Maybe we're that desperate???We've sure painted ourselves into a corner

The Lions will pay & we won't. That's how I see it. If it's any team, it'll be the Lions. Actually, AFAIAC, Lemon can go suck on one.

9 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Lol, I forgot about that little detail. Maybe you're right but I just don't think we bring him in. He'll want too much money.

I mean, we’ve never hesitated to make this kind of move before. It’s the exact kind of move we’ve made historically. 

On 2023-07-21 at 11:56 AM, Jesse said:

I dunno, Dan Clark at CB is quite the comeback story at his age and size. 

Last year, Dan Clarke was a warrior. The best damned OL to ever put on a Rider jersey. Now, with all the injuries the OL has had this season, the Riders don't bring him back. That's an odd one to figure out. Logan Bandy has taken his Center spot. Can't the former world's best OL, the biggest impact player to ever play the game not play Guard? Me thinks that cheeky ass speech he made at the CFL Awards where he mocked the sacks his line gave up & killing Fajardo rubbed team officials the wrong way. "No quarterback was killed in the making of this speech". Ouch. Kind of a dickish thing to say about your OL teammates in a major speech at the CFL Awards. I'm sure Dickenson, O'Day & Fajardo were laughing. Not. Some people just don't have a sense of humour, I guess..

15 minutes ago, Mike said:

I mean, we’ve never hesitated to make this kind of move before. It’s the exact kind of move we’ve made historically. 

What are your thoughts on the DL, in particular, Ricky Walker? Is he the real deal? Should they play Miles Fox as well in the rotation? I'm thinking Jake Thomas career is seriously winding down but he's Canadian so that plays into him getting playing time.

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

What are your thoughts on the DL, in particular, Ricky Walker? Is he the real deal? Should they play Miles Fox as well in the rotation? I'm thinking Jake Thomas career is seriously winding down but he's Canadian so that plays into him getting playing time.

I think Ricky Walker is slowly becoming an impact player in the middle and I like his ability to play different fronts for us, but as a whole I think we need to introduce additional players into the rotation to keep everyone fresh as we get deeper into the season. 

16 minutes ago, Mike said:

I think Ricky Walker is slowly becoming an impact player in the middle and I like his ability to play different fronts for us, but as a whole I think we need to introduce additional players into the rotation to keep everyone fresh as we get deeper into the season. 

I was very impressed with him this last game. 

29 minutes ago, Mike said:

yes definitely - this is paramount to our success on D.  Gassed defenses are going to cost us as we saw in Ottawa.

4 hours ago, Booch said:

Walker has actually last 3 games become an actual impactful guy ..but he needs to be kept fresh...and not by Jake

We need that 3rd end to compliment the Jeff's as well as another interior guy who can be moved around too

Walker isn’t bad rotating at the end as well. Tbh I’d rather get a proper nose, and give Lawson heavy reps with very limited action for Thomas than fix the edge. Hansen and Habba will be good to go. I’d be fine with maruo rotating at the edge in the mean time too. 
 The problems on the dl are bennett, Thomas and not having a nose. 
We could also make do more with out the nose with stunts and stealing out side gaps with a tite front using 4i, even just better executed fill and fold from our gap cancelling lbers/dbs. Soo often we have guys for gaps and they get washed out or take them self out of the play. They know the gap but don’t read it or execute exchanges worth a damn. 
 I don’t think if this more more on Paterson, jy or Stanley as positional coaches, but over all after this long Hall should be fixing it. 

Tackling, contain, tackling angles, and gap play with in our scheme have been getting worse and worse. And this is all down to coaching. 

8 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

The Riders are mad about the RTP that took a safety away - and I don’t blame them. 

Should be mad at the 3 missed RTP plays on Fine too. 

Wasn't he tackled around the head? Nothing to complain about there...

On 2023-07-22 at 10:37 AM, Stickem said:

Apparently Bombers have shown an interest in Lemon....along with a few other clubs, according to Farhan.....Does he improve our D upfront ??? Kicking his tires at this stage in the season, says to me we aren't that thrilled with our rush or penetration ....Would we....should we be making a concentrated effort to bring him in??

Lemon apparently signed with Mtl. who also released Nick Usher to make room for Lemon.

On 2023-07-21 at 4:03 PM, JuranBoldenRules said:

What could we trade to Edmonton for Jake Ceresna?

Rights to Buck Pierce potential future as a head coach?

Ceresna would be the perfect player to add to our DL, impactful in every spot.  Jefferson, Jeffcoat, Walker, Ceresna plus the Canadians would be stacked.

Like Casey Sayles but good.  Should be the kind of guy they are scanning their scouting lists for to get up here ASAP.

Prukop & Bennett for Ceresna & a pick.

Asked if he felt his team lacked a killer instinct, Dickenson was indignant.

“I don’t really know what a killer instinct is. To me, do your job, execute, do your job. That’s it,” he said, shaking his head.

“We need to put the pedal down when we have momentum and put somebody away, and we just haven’t done that.”

Sounds like you just defined what a killer instinct is. 

https://3downnation.com/2023/07/24/get-results-or-get-new-players-stamps-dave-dickenson-warns-of-changes-following-loss-to-redblacks/