CFL - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

Just now, bigg jay said:

Locksley apparently got cut after refusing to go in for a short yardage play.  Being pissed off about being on a shitty team is one thing but refusing to go in?

Yah,,,just saw that on twitter...another angle to the story.  It's still a typical Chris Jones gong show!!

After pulling him from the game he refused to go back in for short yardage work, that was the end of it right there.

31 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Edmonton signed a couple more Canadians that would have made sense here.  Fullback and linebacker.

No we good with our global punter and olineman....4th american tackle and a useless Szott and Schmeckle...no need here

Oh forgot to mention our DI'd american fullback....why would we sign National depth to better utilize the DI spot, and /or take advantage of the new Nationlized rule...It's not the Oshea way...

Edited by Booch

19 hours ago, Booch said:

No we good with our global punter and olineman....4th american tackle and a useless Szott and Schmeckle...no need here

Oh forgot to mention our DI'd american fullback....why would we sign National depth to better utilize the DI spot, and /or take advantage of the new Nationlized rule...It's not the Oshea way...

When Eli and Lawson are healthy / ready, then Szott and Schmekel will move to the PR I suppose.

Not sure if either will be practising this week but they've already been on the 1 game IR for 3 weeks. Have to question why they weren't placed on 6 game IR if unable to practice?? IIRC any number of 6 game IR players can be removed early and the SMS then counts against the CAP. So what is there to lose when a given player can't practice for an extended time?

I haven't heard anything about those actually on the 6 game IR and realistic time frames for return.

I don't get the Jackson situation as a DI either. Bigger roster and more imports might have made than more sense but not under current ratio rules. We need another DL in the rotation, NOW. I like Haba so far but the jury is out on Fox at the moment.

1 minute ago, Blue In Vancouver said:

We need another DL in the rotation, NOW. I like Haba so far but the jury is out on Fox at the moment.

I hope Hansen or Lawson are ready to return......otherwise bringing in another db at this time is a head scratcher and I'm getting tired of losing anymore hair

6 minutes ago, Stickem said:

I hope Hansen or Lawson are ready to return......otherwise bringing in another db at this time is a head scratcher and I'm getting tired of losing anymore hair

I'm thinking we practice today? If so the daily IR report might give us some clue to players that might be added to game day roster. Questions about Lawson and Houston might get further clarification even if their return is not this week.

Somewhat we added another DB after signing Mohammed previously. OTOH, the player mix on the PR is curious at best IMO.

5 hours ago, The Zipp said:
Morley Scott
@Morley_Scott
Jarret Doege taking first team reps at QB as the #Elks start practice

Doge time in Edmonton I guess...Was Corny hurt in some way (other than his pride)?

I guess they finally let him out. 

Found this interesting:

Don’t be fooled by the four-year contract touted upon his hiring, Jones is actually on four separate one-year deals and can be given the boot without incurring any cumbersome penalties to the football operations cap.

If that's the case, I would not be surprised to see Jones gets canned if the L's don't turn things around in the next few weeks.  They are going up against the Redblacks, Riders and Ticats over the next few weeks so this is their best shot at getting a win.

https://3downnation.com/2023/06/28/temperature-check-evaluating-which-cfl-head-coaches-are-on-the-hot-seat/

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

Found this interesting:

If that's the case, I would not be surprised to see Jones gets canned if the L's don't turn things around in the next few weeks.  They are going up against the Redblacks, Riders and Ticats over the next few weeks so this is their best shot at getting a win.

https://3downnation.com/2023/06/28/temperature-check-evaluating-which-cfl-head-coaches-are-on-the-hot-seat/

Wow...knowing those details now....if I were an L'ks fan. I'd be pissed. I thought they were locked in with him due to that contract, now that it's come forward that it isn't an issue...why is he still around? That's unbelievable. 

From Jeff Hamilton:

The CFL once again shows how spineless it is by giving Chris Edwards a "maximum fine" rather than a suspension for his gutless stunt against Alouettes receiver Austin Mack, where Edwards pretended to shake his hand before delivering a sucker shove. Same guy who swung at a fan.

That was a terrible display of unsportsmanlike conduct.  Hamilton should suspend him.  

14 minutes ago, The Zipp said:

From Jeff Hamilton:

The CFL once again shows how spineless it is by giving Chris Edwards a "maximum fine" rather than a suspension for his gutless stunt against Alouettes receiver Austin Mack, where Edwards pretended to shake his hand before delivering a sucker shove. Same guy who swung at a fan.

That was a terrible display of unsportsmanlike conduct.  Hamilton should suspend him.  

they way they have been so undisciplined there the last few yrs they need to go one further and cut his arse....send the message to rest the team that the b.s ends now

1 hour ago, Booch said:

they way they have been so undisciplined there the last few yrs they need to go one further and cut his arse....send the message to rest the team that the b.s ends now

Every year Hamilton has a bunch of goons and malcontents in the news, and every year Orlondo says “that’s not who we are”…. History says otherwise.

17 hours ago, The Zipp said:

From Jeff Hamilton:

It's too bad that Jeff Hamilton doesn't get to vote on his All Star status this year, he could Harris him.

17 hours ago, Booch said:

I doubt Steinhauer cuts his best DB....but he should.

Edited by GCn20

Ottawa Redblacks give Tyrie Adams first career start, drop Nick Arbuckle to third string vs. Elks: Tyrie Adams is set to make his first career start at quarterback for the Ottawa Redblacks when they take on the Edmonton Elks on Friday

This could be a tough one to watch.....maybe we will be shocked at a couple of rookie QB's going head to head...