Grilling / Cooking (mostly grilling)

WBBFanWest

5 hours ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

God damn air fryer steak is stupid good.

On the risk of being sacrilegious, its almost as good or even better than a BBQ.... fight me!

Tell me more.  How do you go about properly air-frying steak?  It's about to get too cold to BBQ.

6 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Tell me more.  How do you go about properly air-frying steak?  It's about to get too cold to BBQ.

My air fryer has a broiling option with a timer. I just push a button & the air fryer does the rest. I also broil chops but add about 4 minutes more per side. Steak 6 minutes per side & chops about 10 minutes. Chops come out fully cooked. Steak, of course depends on the thickness of the cut. I've got chops that are 2 inches thick. Some people use a meat thermometer. I've cooked for a long time so I rely on look & feel of the meat. 

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

I BBQ all yr round ..prob 2x a week min in winter

I do every chance i get as well. Even breakfast. My girls just roll their eyes .

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

My air fryer has a broiling option with a timer. I just push a button & the air fryer does the rest. I also broil chops but add about 4 minutes more per side. Steak 6 minutes per side & chops about 10 minutes. Chops come out fully cooked. Steak, of course depends on the thickness of the cut. I've got chops that are 2 inches thick. Some people use a meat thermometer. I've cooked for a long time so I rely on look & feel of the meat. 

Which make and model do you have? I'm looking at the Ninja one at Canadian Tire.

8 minutes ago, JCon said:

Too cold to BBQ? That sounds like a challenge!

When I prepare my steak sous vide, I put it on the grill afterwards to get a nice sear after. 

I bbq & smoke year round.  I use a welding blanket as a cover to help retain heat so I'm not burning as much fuel.

Blow torch is my post sous vide searing method.

I never heard of sous vide until now. So, I googled it. Vacuum packaging meat & then cooking in water. Is it pressurized?? 

5 minutes ago, Piggy 1 said:

I do every chance i get as well. Even breakfast. My girls just roll their eyes .

Which make and model do you have? I'm looking at the Ninja one at Canadian Tire.

I have a 13L Sur La Table from Cosco. It was $167 before Xmas when I bought it. I love using it. I wish I had a bigger one. We roasted a small chicken in it last Saturday. Turned out great. 

7 minutes ago, Piggy 1 said:

WTH is happening? Did I buy the wrong vodka today????

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I never heard of sous vide until now. So, I googled it. Vacuum packaging meat & then cooking in water. Is it pressurized?? 

Keep googling bruh.

3 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I have a 13L Sur La Table from Cosco. It was $167 before Xmas when I bought it. I love using it. I wish I had a bigger one. We roasted a small chicken in it last Saturday. Turned out great. 

Thats cheap. That Ninja is 400 bucks. And I find it a tad small.

8 minutes ago, Sard said:

I barbecue my bacon... makes it nice and crispy, just the way we like it.

I prefer soft bacon. We preheat our oven to 350 degrees. Then put the bacon on a small tray. Let it bake for 10 minutes. Comes out nicely cooked but soft & not crispy. If you want crispy you'll have to cook it longer. Cooking times vary but it depends on the thickness of the bacon so always check while cooking. 

Just now, Brandon said:

Does anyone have a pizza oven?   I was tempted on getting a smaller one but reviews even for the high end models are all over the place.    

An Ooni is on my want list but I haven't convinced the wife yet. 😂

A guy had one tailgating before a Bomber game and I was watching him crank out pizzas in under two minutes.  He did say it had a bit of a learning curve but you figure it out quickly.

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Same here. I use temp probes for things like brisket.

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

No, please give me your thoughts as I'm interested. You've used it so you're the best one to ask. 

Sorry i had to run out.

Yeah its basically what you said. You place your meat in a vacuum bag ,set the device to desired temp and time. Like someone said ,steaks and chops ,you sear to give them a nice finish. Did a leg of lamb a few weeks back ,finished it in pellet grill. Was amazing. Check out sou vide everything on You Tube. Got lotsa nice pointers and tips from him already.

5 hours ago, JCon said:

Too cold to BBQ? That sounds like a challenge!

When I prepare my steak sous vide, I put it on the grill afterwards to get a nice sear after. 

My favourite that I need to do sometime soon is a tri tip. Sous vide for about 6 hours and then finish cowboy style directly on the coals. Better meet is hard to find and I just spent a week in Texas.