Grilling / Cooking (mostly grilling)

WBBFanWest

7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

My air fryer has a broiling option with a timer. I just push a button & the air fryer does the rest. I also broil chops but add about 4 minutes more per side. Steak 6 minutes per side & chops about 10 minutes. Chops come out fully cooked. Steak, of course depends on the thickness of the cut. I've got chops that are 2 inches thick. Some people use a meat thermometer. I've cooked for a long time so I rely on look & feel of the meat. 

@Wideleft - Speed speaks the truth.  There are recipes out there, but every air fryer model is different, so you just have to get a feel for it. 

7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I never heard of sous vide until now. So, I googled it. Vacuum packaging meat & then cooking in water. Is it pressurized?? 

It sounds dumb and counterintuitive to cooking steaks, but it's god damn delicious. 

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

You can all do that you want.

I've got BBQ chicken going on a traditional gas grill, at 5 PM tomorrow

The Scotch is resting on the shelf...

And, I'm going to start a long overdue grilling thread...in general discussion.

Can you import the discussion already started? 

3 hours ago, Piggy 1 said:

I hardly ever use my gas grill. Either wood fire or pellet grill.

I'd like to buy a pellet smoker. 

2 hours ago, Mark H. said:

You can all do that you want.

I've got BBQ chicken going on a traditional gas grill, at 5 PM tomorrow

The Scotch is resting on the shelf...

And, I'm going to start a long overdue grilling thread...in general discussion.

That chicken would be even better on pellet grill mate....as fer that scotch.....welll I'll be right over :)

51 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Can you import the discussion already started? 

I'd like to buy a pellet smoker. 

You would not be sorry.

On 2023-01-20 at 9:38 AM, Tracker said:

Our air fryer is great for reheating pizza- we preheat the oven and toss the slices in, and they come out crisp and tasting like fresh.

this is the post of the off-season so far.  No more microwaving pizza like a chump for me!  my breakfast pizza was delicious and crispy this morning.  maybe even better than fresh -- I like a bit of char on my pizza but it's risky to order it well-done.

Did some nice air-fried tofu last night too.  press the tofu, coat it with cornstarch, salt, pepper, a little oil, a little soy sauce.  tasty and healthy, at least until I put the sweet chilli sauce on.

The One Weird Trick I've learned about my air fryer is that if you want crispy food out of it, you have to preheat it.  Wasn't preheating before and everything came out too too soggy or too dry.  Started preheating and I feel like a frying wizard now.

Going to have to try steaks soon, I had no idea you could do steaks in there.

On 2023-01-20 at 1:27 PM, JCon said:

I want an air fryer but I don't want another appliance. I already have an instapot that I don't use.

I've found our air fryer is a lot more reliable than our instant pot.  Instant pot, we had trouble with burning food all the time, it was a tricky thing to get right, it seemed like we were always struggling with it, though mrs. johnzo used it more than I did.

if I did it again I'd skip the instant pot and spend that money on a bigass air fryer.  Ours is 6L and it's a struggle to cook for two in it.  Definitely can't entertain with it -- I think I could cram a cornish hen into it, but nothing bigger.

Edited by johnzo

7 hours ago, johnzo said:

this is the post of the off-season so far.  No more microwaving pizza like a chump for me!  my breakfast pizza was delicious and crispy this morning.  maybe even better than fresh -- I like a bit of char on my pizza but it's risky to order it well-done.

Did some nice air-fried tofu last night too.  press the tofu, coat it with cornstarch, salt, pepper, a little oil, a little soy sauce.  tasty and healthy, at least until I put the sweet chilli sauce on.

The One Weird Trick I've learned about my air fryer is that if you want crispy food out of it, you have to preheat it.  Wasn't preheating before and everything came out too too soggy or too dry.  Started preheating and I feel like a frying wizard now.

I've found our air fryer is a lot more reliable than our instant pot.  Instant pot, we had trouble with burning food all the time, it was a tricky thing to get right, it seemed like we were always struggling with it, though mrs. johnzo used it more than I did.

if I did it again I'd skip the instant pot and spend that money on a bigass air fryer.  Ours is 6L and it's a struggle to cook for two in it.  Definitely can't entertain with it -- I think I could cram a cornish hen into it, but nothing bigger.

From what I know now, a 6L would be good for a single person. I can cook more than a kg of steak or chops in mine & it's 13L. 

9 hours ago, johnzo said:

I quit after tofu.............sorry.

17 hours ago, Piggy 1 said:

I quit after tofu.............sorry.

yeah, I hear ya, but I'm at the age where that high protein / low calorie thing really helps me out, I gain weight way too easily.  Finally got down to 200lbs this year (from 250ish) and intend to hold there.  plus eating tofu 2-3 nights a week helps me get away with having pizza for multiple meals on the weekend.

finally, if you make it right, tofu can be tasty.

Edited by johnzo

2 hours ago, johnzo said:

yeah, I hear ya, but I'm at the age where that high protein / low calorie thing really helps me out, I gain weight way too easily.  Finally got down to 200lbs this year (from 250ish) and intend to hold there.  plus eating tofu 2-3 nights a week helps me get away with having pizza for multiple meals on the weekend.

You are gonna have a hard time selling that fermented bean curd is "tasty". 

4 hours ago, johnzo said:

Agedashi tofu (Japanese) and Mapo tofu (Sichuan) are both excellent dishes. However, they require some time and effort to get right.

Marinated tofu, OTOH, is pretty easy and can be a good substitute in a quick meal like a rice bowl, for example.

I’m a big fan of all 3, sous vide, BBQ, and my air fryer.   They all have their place!
I made corned beef last week half a brisket weighed in at 15 lbs, and had some serious waygu-like marbling in it…8 days in a dry brine, sous vide for 10hrs set at 180°, best corned beef I’ve ever had.   

Wish I could upload pictures here.  

16 hours ago, Rex_Banner said:

I’m a big fan of all 3, sous vide, BBQ, and my air fryer.   They all have their place!
I made corned beef last week half a brisket weighed in at 15 lbs, and had some serious waygu-like marbling in it…8 days in a dry brine, sous vide for 10hrs set at 180°, best corned beef I’ve ever had.   

Wish I could upload pictures here.  

zach-galifinakis-hangover.gif