2022/2023 Off-Season (League/Non-Bombers-specific News)

Noeller

A lot of people are forgetting that NAT players have lost some of the advantage their birth certificate gave them prior to this season...especially to a team like us with a boatload of veteran IMPs who now qualify as NATs.

Honestly, Demski is not worth 200k to us, but would be to other teams that have less continuity and less veteran IMPs. If Demski chases the dollars he will get them, and honestly if he gets Girlie Kittens money we should not pay that.

13 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I see those numbers & remember that Lawler got over $300,000 last year. Duke Williams got over $225,000. Drew Desjarlais a FREAKING GUARD got $225,000. I think those numbers Gittens signed for are doable for Demski. He won't be making $185,000 a year. It'll be slightly more like Gittens. 

Those guys and the top guys won’t get that money this year though. I think teams see those as the mistakes they are now. I’d actually rather over pay an ol than a wr. No other ni ol available is remotely as close to as good as desjarlais. You can have a meh wr. A meh ol can kill a line qb rb and offense. 

3 hours ago, Booch said:

Indunno...200k for any top flight receiver regardless of nationality in my opinion is or should be top money benchmark...over 200k is getting stupid..and restricts you at a position where if you have good scouting should be easy filled...and if he is your best highest paying guy..and gets dinged for any short periods...likely your Canadian backup is sub par

There are tons of Gittens types down south for a third of that cost...likely better and would take less time to develop...paying your Canadian lineman..those big bucks...but specialty players like reciever and even RB to an extent is dumb...

A ni starter is worth less now too with the nationalized stuff imo. I think that money is good for a ratio breaking ni who plays like an imp or brings a lot of versatility.  

For me demski might never have a 1k season, but he stretches and freezes the defense soo much with the run threat, is such an amazing blocker and a hard runner with the ball I have no issues with him at 180k. The defense needs to account for demski every single play. Pre snap, again post snap, and then even when he doesn’t get the ball head on a swivel cus he puts 100% into blocking for his team mates whistle to whistle. 
 You don’t need to track gittens. You don’t game plan and practice to counter him.  

On 2023-02-03 at 11:29 AM, Fatty Liver said:

Walker picked up the slack in the second half of last season after Lawler went down and as Cornelius improved his reading skills.  He surpassed both Wieneke and Bailey in receiving stats., so not bad for a guy who D.G.A.F. playing on a bad team.

Bum.

Play anywhere but here 

18 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Everyone was slightly off. I still think it was that Prukop pick that did them in the most.

They were going for a backbreaker like the Strev-Harris pass in 19, but you gotta just keep it on the ground there. 
All the momentum. Brady was starting to kill it. That call was just inexplicable. 

That was a massive brain cramp by Buck- if that was his call. Along with the Pukop wounded duck toss.

50 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Those guys and the top guys won’t get that money this year though. I think teams see those as the mistakes they are now. I’d actually rather over pay an ol than a wr. No other ni ol available is remotely as close to as good as desjarlais. You can have a meh wr. A meh ol can kill a line qb rb and offense. 

A ni starter is worth less now too with the nationalized stuff imo. I think that money is good for a ratio breaking ni who plays like an imp or brings a lot of versatility.  

For me demski might never have a 1k season, but he stretches and freezes the defense soo much with the run threat, is such an amazing blocker and a hard runner with the ball I have no issues with him at 180k. The defense needs to account for demski every single play. Pre snap, again post snap, and then even when he doesn’t get the ball head on a swivel cus he puts 100% into blocking for his team mates whistle to whistle. 
 You don’t need to track gittens. You don’t game plan and practice to counter him.  

Demski will get Gittens money otherwise he'd have signed weeks ago. He's waiting to see what the market is. 

15 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Colin, just what have you been drinking today?? "Let's not let our hatred of Ambrosie cloud our judgement????" Wow, WTH??? The Alouettes aren't in good shape. They're hemorraging money losing in the millions. They only average 13-16,000 per game with season ticket sales of about 4-5,000. They've been in trouble financially since the last Als dynasty ended after 2009.

The league doesn't have the finanacial resources to support the teaam like it did in 2018-19 because of the pandemic, No one is rushing in to buy the team. Read the stories in the media that are starting to pop up. More & more people are beginning to realize the team may fold. And it's the CFL's fault as it all could have been avoided. The decision to bring in a 90 year old owner was both Ambrosie's fault & the BOG's. 

They average 17,683 last season despite gongshow ownership. This team isn't on the verge of folding. They just need solid ownernship. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

It all depends on whether he chooses to stay in Winnipeg. There are bad teams who have to overpay to get talent like the Riders and the Redblacks. There's a team out there that will pay him quite a bit of money.  But he'll have no expectation of playoff money and might get used and abused like Lawler did. 

36 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

They average 17,683 last season despite gongshow ownership. This team isn't on the verge of folding. They just need solid ownernship. 

And 13,063 in 2021 without President Mario Cechinni who was fired by Stern. How are they going to attract fans when their best players leave??? Where's the solid ownership? If that was the case & it was so easy to find "solid ownership" then why hasn't the CFL done that? Who is going to ride in juuuuust in the nick of time like some old Hollywood western where the cavalry comes charging in to save the day?

Edited by SpeedFlex27

6 hours ago, Stickem said:

Damn true.....Zack was off his game (injury hampered).....Kicking game was not up to par.....Receivers seemed out of synch and worst of all our D let us down when it mattered...Should have ran their back-up off of the field instead of giving him time to move the ball....What a time to have one of the worst games of the year after all of our successes in 22'......Having the last field goal attempt fail was the last straw for me....shut the bloody thing off and got out the Glenfiddick....I want some serious redemption in 23' .....and you can bet our guys will be primed

Are you saying we have…….unfinished business?

10 hours ago, Geebrr said:

Man...both sides back tracking...this gonna be epically funny this yr....a situation basically that there is nobody left for Riders to go after/wanted to go there...and nobody wants the Faj other than prob at best a sneak QB for 4 to 5 snaps a game...just too dam funny

15 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47gxfxqiwn0n2tungd7r

Solid ownership? C'mon out. Where are you? I got ya a free latte,

Do you read what I write before responding.  I said they are doing reasonably well with bad ownership.  All they need is good ownership.  What are you going on about?

16 hours ago, Jesse said:

Well, there’s the rub isn’t it?

Correct.  The problem they had this time around is the man with the money passed away and that changed everything.  It seems as though they've found reasonable ownership in Edmonton and bc.  It should be easier right now to find a good owner for Montreal coming off a moderarly successfull season. 

18 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Do you read what I write before responding.  I said they are doing reasonably well with bad ownership.  All they need is good ownership.  What are you going on about?

Correct.  The problem they had this time around is the man with the money passed away and that changed everything.  It seems as though they've found reasonable ownership in Edmonton and bc.  It should be easier right now to find a good owner for Montreal coming off a moderarly successfull season. 

Edmonton is community owned. I wouldn't say that they're doing well, the Board hired the GM/Coach before hiring the President.