2022/2023 Off-Season (League/Non-Bombers-specific News)

Noeller

3 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

Do you read what I write before responding.  I said they are doing reasonably well with bad ownership.  All they need is good ownership.  What are you going on about?

Correct.  The problem they had this time around is the man with the money passed away and that changed everything.  It seems as though they've found reasonable ownership in Edmonton and bc.  It should be easier right now to find a good owner for Montreal coming off a moderarly successfull season. 

If the Als organization chronically hemmorages money it won't be easy at all. Why would anyone buy a team that chronically loses $4 million a year? You have to ask yourself why.... And the 2 estate lawyers aren't going to let that situation go on for long. Spiegel's kids want their inheritance. There's no money to run the team right now other than pay the bills, it seems. Accorfdng to Herb Zurkowsky of the Montreal Alouettes unless a prospective owner steps forward very soon the team will fold. Thge CFL can't afford to prop up a team after Covid. You seem to think the whole process to find a solid owner with deep pockets will be easy hence my Travolts Get Shorty gif.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

https://3downnation.com/2023/02/06/saskatchewan-roughriders-make-strong-offer-to-veteran-qb-trevor-harris/

bahahaha....he will be crippled behind that oline by 6 games in...but giver 

I doubt any of those mentioned there would go there unless severe over pay....and even then if they land 1...or 2....wont fix what ails them...Oday is truly a lousy GM....Prob worst in the league...big lucrative multi yr deal to a 37 yr old QB?...what a tool

13 minutes ago, Booch said:

https://3downnation.com/2023/02/06/saskatchewan-roughriders-make-strong-offer-to-veteran-qb-trevor-harris/

bahahaha....he will be crippled behind that oline by 6 games in...but giver 

I doubt any of those mentioned there would go there unless severe over pay....and even then if they land 1...or 2....wont fix what ails them...Oday is truly a lousy GM....Prob worst in the league...big lucrative multi yr deal to a 37 yr old QB?...what a tool

They nearly killed a 30 year old mobile QB last season and know theyre going to sign a 37 year old statue?? My guess is around week 6 the Riders will have a wrongful death lawsuit on their hands courtesy of the Harris family....

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

3 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Harris is an upgrade over Fajardo but I don't see receivers flocking to play with him. Agree on it taking six games behind that line before disaster.

So no big offer from them to Couture, Ciraco, Ruby, Figeroa?

nope....Oday just showing how clueless he is, and where he needs to focus immediately, and with all he's got....they don't address this area with even 1 big fish this yr...just puts them another year delayed in the process of getting out of that craptacular situation...tho...prob wont be his concern in 2024 as he will have been turfed by then....just a lousy GM who cant see the issues, nor can evaluate talent as I am almost certain they think their guys are actually good.....Looking at their roster last yr, and what they have this yr to date...I don't see a single guy who would have started anywhere else last yr, and be hard pressed to even see a 6th olineman for any other team....let alone starting elsewhere this yr...what a mess....

Roughriders re-sign American defensive lineman Anthony Lanier - 3DownNation

Theres a new highest paid non-QB American defensive player in the league! His name is Anthony Lanier lol. Thats a lot of cake for eight sacks and two forced fumbles last year.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

Lanier is an excellent football player who deserved a big raise, however, he is not now, or has ever been, the best IMP defensive player in this league. That is incredibly stupid on the part of the RIders. It makes no sense whatsoever.

31 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

They nearly killed a 30 year old mobile QB last season and know theyre going to sign a 37 year old statue?? My guess is around week 6 the Riders will have a wrongful death lawsuit on their hands courtesy of the Harris family....

We all saw what happened to Harris in Edmonton when their OL was not playing well. The guy was a disaster.

17 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

If the Als organization chronically hemmorages money it won't be easy at all. Why would anyone buy a team that chronically loses $4 million a year? You have to ask yourself why.... And the 2 estate lawyers aren't going to let that situation go on for long. Spiegel's kids want their inheritance. There's no money to run the team right now other than pay the bills, it seems. Accorfdng to Herb Zurkowsky of the Montreal Alouettes unless a prospective owner steps forward very soon the team will fold. Thge CFL can't afford to prop up a team after Covid. You seem to think the whole process to find a solid owner with deep pockets will be easy hence my Travolts Get Shorty gif.

The league will step in again. The Als are not folding.

30 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Roughriders re-sign American defensive lineman Anthony Lanier - 3DownNation

Theres a new highest paid non-QB American defensive player in the league! His name is Anthony Lanier lol. Thats a lot of cake for eight sacks and two forced fumbles last year.

29 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

“It’s a one-year contract for the 2023 season worth $250,000 in hard money. That makes the 29-year-old the highest-paid American defensive player in the CFL. He gets a $100,000 signing bonus to stay in Saskatchewan.”

😅

22 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

These are the gigantic over pays that were expected. 

The guy has done zero to deserve that pay. But, that’s what it costs to live and play there. 

14 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

What the hell did Pete Robertson get if that is what Lanier gets? 

hahaha....giant over pays...for decent, but not guys you need to scheme against to nuetralize as best you can...thats what it takes to keep talent in Sask...lotta scratch tied up in some dlineman who really...are easiest position to fill....yet still need at least 3 olinman better than what was there last yr....a QB....2 top line wideouts....DB help.....and no starting Linebackers from last yr signed...what a mess and its funny as heck

16 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Lanier is an excellent football player who deserved a big raise, however, he is not now, or has ever been, the best IMP defensive player in this league. That is incredibly stupid on the part of the RIders. It makes no sense whatsoever.

We all saw what happened to Harris in Edmonton when their OL was not playing well. The guy was a disaster.

The league will step in again. The Als are not folding.

also has a bad rep around the league as being dirty, and more about himself then team

10 minutes ago, Booch said:

hahaha....giant over pays...for decent, but not guys you need to scheme against to nuetralize as best you can...thats what it takes to keep talent in Sask...lotta scratch tied up in some dlineman who really...are easiest position to fill....yet still need at least 3 olinman better than what was there last yr....a QB....2 top line wideouts....DB help.....and no starting Linebackers from last yr signed...what a mess and its funny as heck

also has a bad rep around the league as being dirty, and more about himself then team

Lanier according to rumors sat out a few games he could have/should have played in last year. Tells me all I need to know about him. Even stated that he doesn't know how to take care of his body so wanted some extended time off. 

Of notable concern should be that he is a very undersized DT. They list him at 285 but realistically he isn't more than 260. That's why he only lasted 10 games in the trenches last year. He will need to have 25 lbs of muscle added to be able to live up to his contract.

Edited by GCn20

Jeez lol the undercutting of a guy just because he’s a Rider

lmao to that stupid contract but Lanier is a force out there. FWIW to all you “he’s not a FIFO guy, he’s a selfish player, he’s worthless” people in the building, the Bombers were one of the teams that inquired about him yesterday.

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

Yeah I'm not sure about Harris on the team...I guess having a qb that will get the ball out quickly will help. But they better get a legit deep threat to help or secondaries will eat them up.

For my money, the way to work around a bad OL is a quick release guy, not a mobile guy.

2 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I agree Lanier is a good player but that contract is an overpay. I can see JOD overpaying Harris and Lewis and then having the same OL with maybe two more kids from the local jr team.

We did our share of that when we were crap too. The lines are not a bad place to spend money.

13 minutes ago, Mike said:

Jeez lol the undercutting of a guy just because he’s a Rider

lmao to that stupid contract but Lanier is a force out there. FWIW to all you “he’s not a FIFO guy, he’s a selfish player, he’s worthless” people in the building, the Bombers were one of the teams that inquired about him yesterday.

I don’t know anything about the guy as a person - but the price tag  is comically absurd.

Edited by Geebrr