Don't Look Back - 2022/2023 Bombers Off Season

Wideleft

5 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

Disappointed if we lose both Rasheed Bailey and Janarion Grant to free agency. I think Bailey is more durable but it's possible we lose Janarion Grant to another club that gives him an opportunity to start at receiver as well as returner. But if Bailey goes elsewhere I can see Bombers upping their offer to Grant to try to work him in as a starting receiver/returner.

I am honestly not worried about losing Grant to another team over playing time. I don't think there is a team in the CFL where he starts at receiver and Grant has publically stated in the past that he wants to be a Bomber for life if he can't catch on in the NFL. As for Bailey, I think he wants to see the market but I don't think there are other teams who will value him more than we do.

Edited by GCn20

6 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I am honestly not worried about losing Grant to another team over playing time. I don't think there is a team in the CFL where he starts at receiver and Grant has publically stated in the past that he wants to be a Bomber for life if he can't catch on in the NFL. As for Bailey, I think he wants to see the market but I don't think there are other teams who will value him more than we do.

It doesn't help his cause to be left off the "Top 35" FA list.

28 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

With Bailey I believe they want him back but not at a premium price point so they're waiting to see what happens with guys like Lawler and Schoen. THat's my hot take anyway, 

I'd agree with that. He might not get a premium price either, there are a lot of flashier FA receivers out there this year

1 hour ago, Doublezero said:

Disappointed if we lose both Rasheed Bailey and Janarion Grant to free agency. I think Bailey is more durable but it's possible we lose Janarion Grant to another club that gives him an opportunity to start at receiver as well as returner. But if Bailey goes elsewhere I can see Bombers upping their offer to Grant to try to work him in as a starting receiver/returner.

I like Grant as a returner, but not as a starting receiver.

1 minute ago, rebusrankin said:

Hypothetical: If we lost Demski but added Lawler or Eugene Lewis, how do we feel?

Really wouldn’t be too happy. Demski is a Swiss Army knife who I still believe has another gear,he’s close to really becoming a dominant player plus his passport makes him to me more valuable then almost any American receiver in the league. I don’t really see a scenario where we get Lewis or Lawler cheaper then what Demski is going to get so unless Demski doesn’t want to be here I would rather just use the money on him. 

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

It's Demski's passport, plus his ability to do everything, that make him irreplaceable. Lawler is great, but he's not as versatile and doesn't have the right passport. 

Does versatility matter when you do what you do (get open and make tough catches for your qb) so well? Don't get me wrong, you can do a lot of unique things with Demski and he can hurt a team in so many ways... but sometimes you don't need a swiss army knife when you've got a tool that can do it's one job exceptionally well. 

Passport is the biggest plus in Demskis favour IMO. The versatility is just a nice bonus. In summary, just get both Demski and Lawler. Schoen too while we're at it. Then go out there and tear the rest of the league a new *******. 

25 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Hypothetical: If we lost Demski but added Lawler or Eugene Lewis, how do we feel?

Really shitty, that's how I would feel. We were the best team in the league last year without Lawler and Lewis. Why are we always focused on guys on other teams that we perceive as better. The guys we have won more games than anyone else last year and would have brought home a 3-peat if not for some poor coaching and back execution at critical moments, none which can be blamed Demski.

9 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

Really shitty, that's how I would feel. We were the best team in the league last year without Lawler and Lewis. Why are we always focused on guys on other teams that we perceive as better. The guys we have won more games than anyone else last year and would have brought home a 3-peat if not for some poor coaching and back execution at critical moments, none which can be blamed Demski.

On the other hand Demski had 5 touches in the Grey Cup and got 28 yards out of it.... He didn't do enough just like nearly everyone on the team in that game. 

14 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

On the other hand Demski had 5 touches in the Grey Cup and got 28 yards out of it.... He didn't do enough just like nearly everyone on the team in that game. 

I think everyone needs to wear some of that loss, not a single person lost that game.

Did Lawler or Lewis do much that game? Oh wait... I want Demski, versatility, passport and local connection are worth more to me than can be replaced with either of the other receivers.

I like Demski as much as anyone on this forum, but calling him irreplaceable is a stretch. The guy still has never had a 1000 yard season. I know he is a swiss army knife and all that but at the end of the day his offensive output is his offensive output. He is replaceable. That being said I really want him back, and unless he is looking to cash in then we should have the leg up in getting him back.

Everyone needs to remember that Demski is probably wanting 2022 NAT money, and a lot of NATs are going to find out that just won't be the case anymore....at least to the extent it used to be. NI rules have vastly changed this offseason and his passport is not as valuable a commodity as it once was.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

And a pretty big drop in the 1st Q that would have extended a drive into scoring range.

Edited by GCn20

22 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I like Demski as much as anyone on this forum, but calling him irreplaceable is a stretch. The guy still has never had a 1000 yard season. I know he is a swiss army knife and all that but at the end of the day his offensive output is his offensive output. He is replaceable. That being said I really want him back, and unless he is looking to cash in then we should have the leg up in getting him back.

Everyone needs to remember that Demski is probably wanting 2022 NAT money, and a lot of NATs are going to find out that just won't be the case anymore....at least to the extent it used to be. NI rules have vastly changed this offseason and his passport is not as valuable a commodity as it once was.

And a pretty big drop in the 1st Q that would have extended a drive into scoring range.

Well he’s played 13 and 12 games in the last two seasons. In a full season he would have easily had two, thousand yard seasons easily. Like I said I think he has even another level he can take his game. It would be a big big loss losing Demski in his prime. 

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

Losing Schoen will be a larger impact then losing Demski.     I like Demski and when he's on he can dominate a game... I just find that sometimes he disappears.     

Hard to compare bc if you don't have Demski then you are potentially missing an impact player elsewhere due to his national status. So net impact is arguable

I'll take Demski. He's local and that matters. He's an impact Canadian who can do a bit of everything. 

Demski. Woli. Schoen. Lawler. (Insert younger American) 

That's a good group. 

Where's Sheed? Well I gotta pay these guys and stay under the cap so sacrifices need to be made. How many are you willing to let loose to sign Nic and Kenny tho and hope Schoen is back? That's the real question. Who you willing to let go to make it happen? 

Looks like Couture maybe, and maybe a couple others.... bound to be. Who? 

Edited by Goalie