Week 21 - Coddled Kittens @ Back-to-back, reigning, defending, Grey Cup Champions! GDT

JCon

he had an 11 game season where he had early games where he feasted on garbage...got some unworldly luck receiver work...legit and penalty missed aided...and had some games where he was average at best....looked confused and made errors....so yeah the Canadian part of it was a lot of the hype...the media wanted a story, and there is a lot of as of yet inconclusive hype and rah rah about him...he hasnt proven anything yet....he may....he may not....but 11 games does not a HOF player make....u do recall guys like James Franklin...Jonathan Jennings...Fajardo....Arbuckle...heck even Pipkin and Printers....looked like world beaters out of the gate...the next big star...cant miss....then teams got tape...things plateued...and where they now....even in the limited time this yr...once teams seen what he was doing and got success from...then took that away...well he was all of a sudden just a regular QB...so keep the hype train rolling media and fans....it aint affecting the Bombers...Or the Stamps in the least...and to be honest I bet they could care less who is the QB as they know what to do, and how to go about the game

6 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Wouldn’t be surprised to see that come playoff time. 

Gauthier has proven he can handle the middle, and Biggie will likely switch for obvious passing downs. 

I like it . 

yeah...tonight is gonna be pretty staright forward vanilla, and am 100 percent certain in WF u are gonna see some new things that sumbfound the opposition...we did it last yr too....interesting for sure

Edited by Booch

8 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

He can be a good qb worthy of an NFL look and massive raise and still be over rated you know.

But again, don't cut yourself on all that edge you're posting with.

24 year old Canadian QB putting up Flutie-like numbers this year is deemed worthy of an NFL look, but he’s also overrated. No, he really can’t be both, not at the moment. 

And don’t waste all your hemerrhoid cream being indignant with me. I’m sure you’ll find something else to be butt-hurt about soon enough. I think TBurg is still debating the other internet doctors, why not take a spin over there for a bit. 
blow-kiss-minion.gif

1 minute ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

24 year old Canadian QB putting up Flutie-like numbers this year is deemed worthy of an NFL look, but he’s also overrated. No, he really can’t be both, not at the moment. 

Yeah he absolutely can. You got media talking about giving him year end awards for half a seasons work (in the summer no less). That is definitely overrated. The way some people talk about him you'd think he was bigger than  Jesus. Over rated. But still a good qb.

Just now, 17to85 said:

Yeah he absolutely can. You got media talking about giving him year end awards for half a seasons work (in the summer no less). That is definitely overrated. The way some people talk about him you'd think he was bigger than  Jesus. Over rated. But still a good qb.

YUP...Good and unproven as of yet....it wasnt sustainable and as season progressed it showed...he ripped some bad teams a new arsehole for sure...but not the league...and for all the rippin he/they did...were never a 1st place team....

Why do you care if he gets an award? There is precedent where the player plays limited games but is so far ahead of everyone statistically (Cornish, Lemieux in the NHL). I think Collaros should win MVP, Rourke should win MOC, but if something different happens I won’t come on here and pout about the media.

It’s funny how triggered some fans get if any player/team other than the Bombers gets praise. Like you need to find a reason to be upset. Tough way to live. But hey, you do you, it gives me a good laugh. And I’m happy to see a Canadian succeeding at a marquee position in this league and giving us an exciting narrative based on legit success. 90% completion rate in games, 125 QB rating, on pace for 50 TDs. Nice story. 

The Rourke attention is fully justified. People are just butt hurt because we want all the attention on us. Rourke could be exactly the kind of superstar this league needs at the exact position the league needs more talent at.

But even though Rourke has that potential, we are the better team - as we’ve already proven.

2 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Why do you care if he gets an award? There is precedent where the player plays limited games but is so far ahead of everyone statistically (Cornish, Lemieux in the NHL). I think Collaros should win MVP, Rourke should win MOC, but if something different happens I won’t come on here and pout about the media.

It’s funny how triggered some fans get if any player/team other than the Bombers gets praise. Like you need to find a reason to be upset. Tough way to live. But hey, you do you, it gives me a good laugh. And I’m happy to see a Canadian succeeding at a marquee position in this league and giving us an exciting narrative based on legit success. 90% completion rate in games, 125 QB rating, on pace for 50 TDs. Nice story. 

It's almost like this is a place to put out opinions on things that happen around the CFL...in fact, now that I wrote that out. We should really start a website like that!

Honestly though, I think you're reading too much into what people are putting down here. The people who are saying they don't like him, from what I gather are saying it because of the jersey he wears not because of the talent he has/doesn't have. As far as I can see, most people want him to succeed because of the reasons you listed, it would be great for the league. That doesn't make him untouchable from other fans...or free from jokes about the attention he is getting. I ******* hated AC when he played, it doesn't mean I thought he was trash. I just didn't want him to do well against the Bombers. Likewise with Rourke, I think the media needs to put more respect on the way the Bombers handled him when he played a game against them. That does not mean I think he is a **** QB. I also think he will get an NFL shot due to his talent. That does not mean I think he should be put on the levels of the Fluties/Ray/AC/Collaros/Moon etc etc. 

It's hard to believe, but 2 things can be true at once.

On July 9th a healthy Rourke was 16/25 for 278 yards, had 3 tds & 2 interceptions against the Bombers in their cozy dome. Regardless of what he does tonight & in the WSF, he doesn't scare me and I'd love for them to knock off the Stamps in their dome and get stomped by the Bombers the next week. Stamps are the biggest threat to the 3peat imo.

1 minute ago, Pickle Rick said:

On July 9th a healthy Rourke was 16/25 for 278 yards, had 3 tds & 2 interceptions against the Bombers in their cozy dome. Regardless of what he does tonight & in the WSF, he doesn't scare me and I'd love for them to knock off the Stamps in their dome and get stomped by the Bombers the next week. Stamps are the biggest threat to the 3peat imo.

I think the biggest obstacle is actually out east.

19 minutes ago, Jesse said:

The Rourke attention is fully justified. People are just butt hurt because we want all the attention on us. Rourke could be exactly the kind of superstar this league needs at the exact position the league needs more talent at.

But even though Rourke has that potential, we are the better team - as we’ve already proven.

He sure is a good player. He totally deserves attention... but I think most are done with the over-the-top-farhankeepingtabsonyourbathroomhabittweets-reamsofinkspilledallover-thirsty-gottagetmyclickbaitgoing-kidcanda-captaincanuck-shouldbemoprigtnow-holyfuckimsodonehearingaboutthiskidstuff. I know I am. 

23 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

It's almost like this is a place to put out opinions on things that happen around the CFL...in fact, now that I wrote that out. We should really start a website like that!

Honestly though, I think you're reading too much into what people are putting down here. The people who are saying they don't like him, from what I gather are saying it because of the jersey he wears not because of the talent he has/doesn't have. As far as I can see, most people want him to succeed because of the reasons you listed, it would be great for the league. That doesn't make him untouchable from other fans...or free from jokes about the attention he is getting. I ******* hated AC when he played, it doesn't mean I thought he was trash. I just didn't want him to do well against the Bombers. Likewise with Rourke, I think the media needs to put more respect on the way the Bombers handled him when he played a game against them. That does not mean I think he is a **** QB. I also think he will get an NFL shot due to his talent. That does not mean I think he should be put on the levels of the Fluties/Ray/AC/Collaros/Moon etc etc. 

It's hard to believe, but 2 things can be true at once.

I agree with everything you wrote except the bolded part. I think the Bombers got plenty of respect from the media for that game and weren’t shortchanged. And that one game did not invalidate everything else Rourke did this year when he played. Just like the Bombers getting thumped in Hamilton does not invalidate how good they are. The hype machine is definitely high for Rourke, like any exceptional Canadian the media wants to make a story of (Cornish, Harris, Schaefer-Baker) in the Canadian league. Limited sample size, sure, but the numbers churned out were abnormally high, and not just a one-off, but consistent in pretty much every game he played. So IMO over-hyped but not over-rated, but to me, so what? Happy to draw eyeballs to the CFL, and the media likes page clicks, so they write what sells. 

I find your response fair and measured, others who have pushed back against the media machine less so, like it was offensive to them that he got this praise, and in turn it made their criticism somewhat hollow and over the top, at least to me. And I agree some of it is driven by the jersey he wears, as it most often is. That is all.

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

5 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

He sure is a good player. He totally deserves attention... but I think most are done with the over-the-top-farhankeepingtabsonyourbathroomhabittweets-reamsofinkspilledallover-thirsty-gottagetmyclickbaitgoing-kidcanda-captaincanuck-shouldbemoprigtnow-holyfuckimsodonehearingaboutthiskidstuff. I know I am. 

Farhan, notwithstanding. 

20 minutes ago, Jesse said:

The only real obstacles are internal.

There isn't another team that beats us if we do our job.

QFT...the only team that can beat the Bombers are the Bombers themselves. I don't care what team comes in and plays the best ball they've every played against us, if we play our best ball...WE WIN.

1 hour ago, Geebrr said:

Wouldn’t be surprised to see that come playoff time. 

Gauthier has proven he can handle the middle, and Biggie will likely switch for obvious passing downs. 

I like it . 

I think the Bombers are expecting the Lions to protect their QBs heading into the playoffs by running a lot. Gauthier is a very good run stopper and you don't want Bighill risking his health by having to be the hammer all game.