2022 CFL Season - Non Back 2 Back Champs News

Noeller

2 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

It’s so obviously the CFL and TSN needed a “star” to market. The last couple of years have been a big transition era in the CFL with older players leaving and new ones coming in, CF was manifested hype all along. 

100% true......and add to this that whoever is the starting QB in The Gap is automatically anointed saviour/Messiah....

4 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

It’s so obviously the CFL and TSN needed a “star” to market. The last couple of years have been a big transition era in the CFL with older players leaving and new ones coming in, CF was manifested hype all along. 

Needed a star to market out of Saskatchewan... Unfortunately that is the best that they could find.

20 minutes ago, Noeller said:

the fact that all of this is just coming out now feels like The Emperor's New Clothes......the fog is lifting and all of a sudden it's "Hey wait a minute.......this guy's actually terrible!" 

Well, no ******* kidding...... career third stringer who can't hit a target past 10 yards? The hell you say.......

Exactly. Also WTF does this even mean:

“I think Cody is everything you want in a quarterback outside of actually playing the position,” Cates said first.“

1. Outside of being a good QB he is great? He is the second highest paid QB.

2. No he isn’t. He is a whiny entitled baby

1 hour ago, Mark F said:

for rourke admirers, and rourke skeptics

"In the Lions’ 46-14 home thumping of the Edmonton Elks, Rourke completed 34 of 37 passes (91.9 percent) for 477 yards and five touchdowns with no interceptions, and also rushed five times for 25 more yards and a sixth touchdown. Oh, and he did most of that by halftime

But his 91.9 percent completion mark was the third-highest in CFL history (minimum 20 attempts), with the only two above that coming from Hall of Famer Ricky Ray in 2013 and 2008 (and Ray went 19/20 and 23/25 in those games respectively, so he threw far less passes than Rourke did). And his 477 passing yards did beat his own record (436, set in June) for most passing yards by a Canadian QB in a single game."

https://thecomeback.com/international/cfl-qb-nathan-rourke-bc-lions-one-of-most-accurate-performances-ever.html

think he might be a bit slender to be NFL starter. most of their qb, whatever height, are really solid. like wilson, kyler murray. short, but very thick.

but maybe he'll get a shot.

I think the guy is outstanding.

He is excellent and well ahead of the curve for his development. He has every throw in the book. I would be shocked if he is not in an NFL camp next year. That being said, he will have his highs and lows this year just like every other rookie starter does. He feasts on crap defenses but he has looked ordinary against stiffer defenses. To be expected though. The Lions will have to either break the bank to keep him, or he will undoubtedly test the NFL. At his age, and his toolbox, he could stick there for a few years and Tburg will go back to being a closet Lions fan. JK TB....sort of. I mean I can understand people thinking so since you have sent more compliments to the Lions in half a year than you have to the Bombers in 15 or so years on these forums.

30 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Part of that is because his early success wildly surpassed expectations for 8-9 games until the CFL came to the realization that as long as you keep him in the pocket he can't hit the broad side of a barn. Rider fans and the CFL press have been judging him on his first 8 starts where he was extremely successful playing essentially sandlot football. Like all one trick ponies he got figured out fast but the hype train had already left the station.

For every QB that impresses early and builds a solid career (Collaros, BLM) there are QBs that have early success until glaring deficiencies are noticed in their game (Jon Jennings, Cody Faj). That's why I am really hesitant to call a QB a success or a bust until they have more than a full season under their belt. As unlikely as it seems it could even happen to Rourke in time although his arm strength and accuracy are top notch.

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, Geebrr said:

Exactly. Also WTF does this even mean:

“I think Cody is everything you want in a quarterback outside of actually playing the position,” Cates said first.“

1. Outside of being a good QB he is great? He is the second highest paid QB.

2. No he isn’t. He is a whiny entitled baby

I think he’s talking about running ability and intangibles. It seems like he spent half the interview covering his butt for the initial assertion. 
 cf isn’t a good leader. He doesn’t make good decisions or have the mental toughness to excel. 

On 2022-08-07 at 12:06 PM, JuranBoldenRules said:

Not assholes but extra to the point that it could be seen as disrespectful.

Like Jefferson intercepted a pass last season, stopped at the goal-line and tried to hand it off to a teammate.  That kind of stuff.

If I remember correctly that particular pick-6 got into Jefferson's hands as a result of  BA blitzing Reilly and disrupting his throw... It was less disrespect for the opponent and more trying to give the guy he felt deserved the stat-line his due.

I don't doubt the fact the Bombers were absolutely shellacking BC played into it - He didn't need to worry about beating the other team by that point.

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

He is excellent and well ahead of the curve for his development. He has every throw in the book. I would be shocked if he is not in an NFL camp next year. That being said, he will have his highs and lows this year just like every other rookie starter does. He feasts on crap defenses but he has looked ordinary against stiffer defenses. To be expected though. The Lions will have to either break the bank to keep him, or he will undoubtedly test the NFL. At his age, and his toolbox, he could stick there for a few years and Tburg will go back to being a closet Lions fan. JK TB....sort of. I mean I can understand people thinking so since you have sent more compliments to the Lions in half a year than you have to the Bombers in 15 or so years on these forums.

Part of that is because his early success wildly surpassed expectations for 8-9 games until the CFL came to the realization that as long as you keep him in the pocket he can't hit the broad side of a barn. Rider fans and the CFL press have been judging him on his first 8 starts where he was extremely successful playing essentially sandlot football. Like all one trick ponies he got figured out fast but the hype train had already left the station.

For every QB that impresses early and builds a solid career (Collaros, BLM) there are QBs that have early success until glaring deficiencies are noticed in their game (Jon Jennings, Cody Faj). That's why I am really hesitant to call a QB a success or a bust until they have more than a full season under their belt. As unlikely as it seems it could even happen to Rourke in time although his arm strength and accuracy are top notch.

Agree on rourke. He beats up on bad ds and looks like a new starter against good ds. And he will be nfl bound with out a doubt based on his arm talent and athleticism in the off season. With some polish good coaching and the right team around him he could be great. 

rick mirer is one of my favourite examples of this. Early in his career people still defender him and expected him to be a top qb in the nfl. But once teams got enough film on him and saw he could only run 4 or 5 plays and make a couple throws he was very easy to defend.  

25 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I think he’s talking about running ability and intangibles. It seems like he spent half the interview covering his butt for the initial assertion. 
 cf isn’t a good leader. He doesn’t make good decisions or have the mental toughness to excel. 

QBs are paid to throw the ball though.

CoFaj is a backup playing dress up as a starter. 

I said it earlier, and I still stand by it. Rourke is the real deal. He isn't a one trick pony and has the arm to make all the throws AND isn't afraid to get hit. He'll be NFL bound for sure. I don't know how long he stays down there, but if/when he comes back and if the Bombers are looking for a QB...I'd be 100% all in on him.

By all accounts he works his butt off in between games too. Just before the game ended on the weekend, a team mate came up to him to high five or something...which he did...but then immediately mouthed, "It's time to get back to work". He's the real deal.

1 hour ago, Geebrr said:

QBs are paid to throw the ball though.

CoFaj is a backup playing dress up as a starter. 

Migs just gave Fajardo's career the kiss of death by providing his latest glory hole report. Last time he did that was when Durant blew out his arm and couldn't throw anymore. It's bad juju when Migs makes a Rider QB evaluation based on his "observations".

53 minutes ago, do or die said:

In terms of simply looking at the tool kit......Rourke's arm strength and the release, are major pro. 

For sure. He's got an NFL level toolkit.

58 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I said it earlier, and I still stand by it. Rourke is the real deal. He isn't a one trick pony and has the arm to make all the throws AND isn't afraid to get hit. He'll be NFL bound for sure. I don't know how long he stays down there, but if/when he comes back and if the Bombers are looking for a QB...I'd be 100% all in on him.

By all accounts he works his butt off in between games too. Just before the game ended on the weekend, a team mate came up to him to high five or something...which he did...but then immediately mouthed, "It's time to get back to work". He's the real deal.

He has NFL calibre arm....although probably mid tier....but the biggest factor is how young he is. Dude can go down and they can spend a couple years with him on a PR and he's still a very young QB.

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Agree on rourke. He beats up on bad ds and looks like a new starter against good ds. And he will be nfl bound with out a doubt based on his arm talent and athleticism in the off season. With some polish good coaching and the right team around him he could be great. 

rick mirer is one of my favourite examples of this. Early in his career people still defender him and expected him to be a top qb in the nfl. But once teams got enough film on him and saw he could only run 4 or 5 plays and make a couple throws he was very easy to defend.  

He didn't look entirely like a new starter against good D's... just didn't look like a worldbeater against them.

I mean his worst game of the year is a 250 yard outing with an equal TD/Int ratio... 

8 minutes ago, BomberfanMKS said:

He didn't look entirely like a new starter against good D's... just didn't look like a worldbeater against them.

I mean his worst game of the year is a 250 yard outing with an equal TD/Int ratio... 

what was Casey printers worst game as a first year starter?  It’s a tiny sample size with out enough tape on him for defenses to attack him well. Cf wasn’t much worse in his worst start in 19 either. 

Rourke is good, for sure...nobody in their right mind is questioning that. But the last time everyone was losing their **** about how good he is, we went and made him look pretty average. So let's just pump the breaks on calling him Doug Flutie 2.0 awhile. Calgary isn't a fantastic team, by any means, but they should provide the second best test for him, after us. Curious to see how these Leo/Stamps games go.....

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Rourke is good, for sure...nobody in their right mind is questioning that. But the last time everyone was losing their **** about how good he is, we went and made him look pretty average. So let's just pump the breaks on calling him Doug Flutie 2.0 awhile. Calgary isn't a fantastic team, by any means, but they should provide the second best test for him, after us. Curious to see how these Leo/Stamps games go.....

Exactly this. Also curious to see how BC does when the weather gets cold and they are playing outside.

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Plus the riders were handling him just fine for half the game.  He's good, but he isn't unbeatable.

24 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

what was Casey printers worst game as a first year starter?  It’s a tiny sample size with out enough tape on him for defenses to attack him well. Cf wasn’t much worse in his worst start in 19 either. 

166 0/0

196 0/1

224 1/0

209 1/1

89 0/2

I see several starts from Cody Fajardo in 2019 that are less than impressive. Even in 2019, he wasn't like Rourke.

11 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Too late, I have already patented Maple Flutie and have the t-shirts and hats ready for sale.

2 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

166 0/0

196 0/1

224 1/0

209 1/1

89 0/2

I see several starts from Cody Fajardo in 2019 that are less than impressive. Even in 2019, he wasn't like Rourke.

Too late, I have already patented Maple Flutie and have the t-shirts and hats ready for sale.

How many starts? Not looking at combined yards. Also the one game from cf was when he got hurt. 
 Printers was pretty comparable as a year one starter. 

23 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

How many starts? Not looking at combined yards. Also the one game from cf was when he got hurt. 
 Printers was pretty comparable as a year one starter. 

You were comparing Rourke to Cody Fajardo. I gave you 5 starts out of 17 where his stats were worse than the worse game from Rourke. You may be right that Rourke ends up a one year wonder but Cody Fajardo wasn't even that. Rourke has already thrown more td passes in 7 games than Fajardo did in his 2019 season and he only needs 1800 yards or 180 yards a game to match his yardage total.