2021/22 - CFL Offseason - Non-Back-to-Back Grey Cup Champion Thread

JCon

14 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I agree with Jamie Nye in that I like the incentivizing playing Canadians (getting an extra 2nd rounder for team with most "Canadian snaps") but again with "who's going to keep track of all this??" 

But won't this inevitably lead to the teams with the best Canadians getting more Canadian talent. I'm not sure it's a solution to anything, but I do see it creating more problems

21 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I agree with Jamie Nye in that I like the incentivizing playing Canadians (getting an extra 2nd rounder for team with most "Canadian snaps") but again with "who's going to keep track of all this??" 

Lower incentive when less Canadians required to play and will just be an opportunity for teams out of playoffs to tank by fielding a random CIS roster.

18 minutes ago, Noeller said:

reports were that the vote was to happen this hour, but CFL tweeting out that the vote is happening this evening. Guess we'll see....

they need to get this done, the longer this goes on the more I'm thinking that higher powers are cursing us just because the Bombers ended the drought two times over (we win one, COVID happens, we win a second then a CBA thing happens)

20 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

But won't this inevitably lead to the teams with the best Canadians getting more Canadian talent. I'm not sure it's a solution to anything, but I do see it creating more problems

Possibly. It could also lead to the team willing to develop Canadians the most getting access to more developmental Canadians. Other Canadians that are already developed and past their rookie contracts are free to sign with another team after.

I'm not a fan of the quirkiness of the new deal, but something which benefits teams that put effort into developing and playing Canadians could be good. And its likely something needed to push the deal through. Still wish there was no push to change the ratio at all and the negotiations from the start were just about finances, insurance, etc.

I don't see much of a risk of tanking and fielding random CIS'ers. Not too many teams way out of playoff contention in the CFL the way we see in the NHL. And tanking for a 2nd round pick.... don't see that as likely.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

It would, in essence, penalize the other teams by moving them all down, one player in the draft, because of the winner’s additional pick. Not necessarily a big deal, but still a penalty for having done nothing wrong. 

Edited by Pete Catan's Ghost

30 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

I scoff at people saying how you track that. Teams track everything these days. There also plenty of firms that do this exact same thing track everything that is going on on the field.

It's not data collection by someone on a monitor that's the issue.  It's how does the rule function.  Is there any responsibility for on-field officials?  Is it based on a week-to-week usage or over 18 games?