2021/22 - CFL Offseason - Non-Back-to-Back Grey Cup Champion Thread

JCon

19 hours ago, Noeller said:

Jamie Nye with the details on the new ratio rules (in 2023): 

This accomplishes absolutely nothing.  If a team has a talented American with 3 years experience, they want him starting - not subbing in for a Canadian

I guess it could work in the trenches.  But how many American guards or centres have been in the league for 3-5 years?  Probably close to 0.

Take the Bombers as an example: do they have an American DT eligible to rotate with Jake Thomas? No. 

16 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

This accomplishes absolutely nothing.  If a team has a talented American with 3 years experience, they want him starting - not subbing in for a Canadian

I guess it could work in the trenches.  But how many American guards or centres have been in the league for 3-5 years?  Probably close to 0.

Take the Bombers as an example: do they have an American DT eligible to rotate with Jake Thomas? No. 

I think on d it could end up being older dbs rotating in. On o a guy like grant would be perfect. 

29 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Next year we will....if Sayles and walker back...that being said you can swap Jefferson or Willie for Jake now...and throw Wilcots or whoever the new game day rotational end is...same on offence now...you could toss bailey in say Woli spot...or demski and have an additional import there...or bring in import olineman for a jummbo package...will be interesting to see who we set as the naturalized Americans 

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Next year we will....if Sayles and walker back...that being said you can swap Jefferson or Willie for Jake now...and throw Wilcots or whoever the new game day rotational end is...same on offence now...you could toss bailey in say Woli spot...or demski and have an additional import there...or bring in import olineman for a jummbo package...will be interesting to see who we set as the naturalized Americans 

It seems to me...none of the guys you've listed are situational players.  They coaches will want them playing more than 49% of the snaps - or whatever the number is. 

6 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

It seems to me...none of the guys you've listed are situational players.  They coaches will want them playing more than 49% of the snaps - or whatever the number is. 

The dl already rotates a hell of a lot. I can easily see them squeezing a guy like walker into the role. 

Yeah...the designated 49%ers are basically gonna be Romby Bryant 2014 type guys.

Guys that have the tenure but aren't good enough to start.  It's going to create a class of crappy Americans holding on because they can take Canadian snaps while blocking American rookies and Canadians from getting on the roster/field.

Not sure how this helps the product.

On this topic.... I thought Doug and Wade were gonna really get heated during the OB pre game last night. Doug's really angry about the CBA, which he says essentially reduces the ratio to 5 NIs. Wade says "we have to have our best players on the field" implying that Americans (even "lesser" Americans) are the better players. Oi. 

22 minutes ago, Captain Blue said:

I know many, many people who aren't fans of the CFL. 

None of those people complain about the Canadians. 

To me this would indicate that if you want to attract those fans, you are looking at the wrong problem.

The Canadian players have an impact on the overall product.

But I'm curious - what do they complain about? 

49 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Yeah...the designated 49%ers are basically gonna be Romby Bryant 2014 type guys.

Guys that have the tenure but aren't good enough to start.  It's going to create a class of crappy Americans holding on because they can take Canadian snaps while blocking American rookies and Canadians from getting on the roster/field.

Not sure how this helps the product.

This.  I guess you could keep an American Guard around for 3 years, and then start using him to as a sub for your Canadians. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

The dl already rotates a hell of a lot. I can easily see them squeezing a guy like walker into the role. 

You can? He needs to play 2 more seasons...before he's even eligible

3 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I think on d it could end up being older dbs rotating in. On o a guy like grant would be perfect. 

The only DB who'd be an option is Brandon Alexander

The rest have not played enough seasons with the Bombers, and/or less than 5 in the league overall

Grant needs at least one more season, to be eligible

He has played parts of 2 seasons

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

On this topic.... I thought Doug and Wade were gonna really get heated during the OB pre game last night. Doug's really angry about the CBA, which he says essentially reduces the ratio to 5 NIs. Wade says "we have to have our best players on the field" implying that Americans (even "lesser" Americans) are the better players. Oi. 

CJOB pays the Bombers big bucks so Doug better tread lightly. He's no longer a player. He can have his opinions but when he talks to Miller he has to show some restraint.

48 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

You can? He needs to play 2 more seasons...before he's even eligible

The only DB who'd be an option is Brandon Alexander

The rest have not played enough seasons with the Bombers, and/or less than 5 in the league overall

Grant needs at least one more season, to be eligible

He has played parts of 2 seasons

Yes but it starts next year. Idk if they are counting the cancelled season either. 

glass has played 3 seasons so this is 4 and next would be 5 in the league which qualifies. Dbs with 5 years of service would go up in value as a dime / nickel. 

20 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

CJOB pays the Bombers big bucks so Doug better tread lightly. He's no longer a player. He can have his opinions but when he talks to Miller he has to show some restraint.

Brown is also a legend with heavy media connections and an incredibly high value for the role he fills. Getting him fired would be a very bad look for the blue and then you’d likely see him in a similar satellite role with tsn and or 3dn. 

19 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Yes but it starts next year. Idk if they are counting the cancelled season either. 

glass has played 3 seasons so this is 4 and next would be 5 in the league which qualifies. Dbs with 5 years of service would go up in value as a dime / nickel. 

Brown is also a legend with heavy media connections and an incredibly high value for the role he fills. Getting him fired would be a very bad look for the blue and then you’d likely see him in a similar satellite role with tsn and or 3dn. 

I'm just saying it's not wise for Brown to pick a fight with the Bomber President. We've all sees high profile firings in the media. It happens. It also blows over once they're gone.

Winston Rose is in his 5rh yr...3rd with Bombers

Nick Taylor in his 7th....and 3rd with Bombers.

Thing is....doesn't have to be a rotational guy...say a Canadian safety went down...you could put an import In there and then the naturalized canadain takes the role of the 49% snap guy...u have to designate how many true national starters before game on offence and defence....so doesn't matter what position u sub a guy in for...just u need however many are designated pre game...

32 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I'm just saying it's not wise for Brown to pick a fight with the Bomber President. We've all sees high profile firings in the media. It happens. It also blows over once they're gone.

I get it. But Doug brown isn’t Eddie Steele. Steele is a soup can and brown is joe Louis. 

32 minutes ago, Booch said:

Thing is....doesn't have to be a rotational guy...say a Canadian safety went down...you could put an import In there and then the naturalized canadain takes the role of the 49% snap guy...u have to designate how many true national starters before game on offence and defence....so doesn't matter what position u sub a guy in for...just u need however many are designated pre game...

and that’s this year.

when it comes to a guy whose rotational and not a starter with that much service it won’t be a common fit at db but when you get one it’ll be a tremendous value. More fringe imp dbs might end up sticking around. 

35 minutes ago, Booch said:

Yes, I missed Taylor.  But Rose has played 1 season in Ottawa, 1 season in BC and 2 in Winnipeg

In order for him to qualify, they would have to count 2020 as a season

I don't know if they are doing that

1 minute ago, Bigblue204 said:

I swear I saw something about a family day at the stadium for kids etc. Like they've done in the past with inflatable castles and games etc etc as well as ring pick up for season ticket holders. But i can't find anything...

Heard tomorrow after practice. 

Whenever I see this stadium, I always think, "When are they going to finish building it?" Looks incomplete. If that was built in Winnipeg, I'd have been so disappointed. That other grandstand just looks like a skeleton. Nothing impressive or pleasing about it. Barebones stuff.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

It will be interesting to see how the league administers the 49%ers.

You could designate Bryant as one and dress another American OL. as a "starter."  Bryant could "sub" for the entire game but then if one of the Canadian linemen go down in game both Bryant and the "starter" can play.

I don't see there being a pool of guys that would qualify who are worth paying just to be a DI who can sub for anyone basically.  Most guys in those roster spots don't have the tenure required.

3 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

I swear I saw something about a family day at the stadium for kids etc. Like they've done in the past with inflatable castles and games etc etc as well as ring pick up for season ticket holders. But i can't find anything...

3 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Heard tomorrow after practice. 

I had posted this a week ago but here is the e-mail notice I got again. 
810936eb-2062-4742-ac70-a78de76c209b.jpg

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Whenever I see this stadium, I always think, "When are they going to finish building it?" Looks incomplete. If that was built in Winnipeg, I'd have been so disappointed. That other grandstand just looks like a skeleton. Nothing impressive or pleasing about it. Barebones stuff.

It WAS built in Winnipeg…..in 1955. 

Tim Horton’s was modelled after Canadinns because that’s what their budget allowed for. when IG Field was being constructed I spoke with one of the project managers for the club when I got to view my potential new seats, and he said both Hamilton and Sask sent reps to see what they could learn from the build. Sask learned that their build would cost triple what the Bombers paid, and Hamilton learned that for the same price as IG Field all they could afford was a design similar to Canadinns but with no end zone seats. They were very jealous of the deal we struck.  Of course, we paid for our sweet deal once construction deficiencies and repairs upped the true cost.