2022 Off Season - Back 2 Back Champs Edition

Noeller

14 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Why are you hung up on this 6'5/250 lb TE a 4.4 or 4.5 fourty? First of all, the TE won't be going mano a mano on 285 lb DT's. He'll be handling quick outside linebackers or D ends. So, he'll be cracking down  or chipping on the edge then slipping into the flat or going downfield for a pass. He doesn't have to run 4.5 to be successful. 

That was your metric, not mine. I simply said that based on your metric it would be near impossible to find that guy. You argued it wouldn't be and that you saw a **** ton of them in high school ball.

16 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Did you coach more than 20 years ago and was it in Canada? Cus that would explain a lot besides most of these big athletic tes hit a late growth spurt and get jacked post hs or late hs. 

You would be stunned by the number of phenoms that fall through the cracks in d1. Seriously you could make a full pro bowl roster of kids who couldn't make school work and or had home life problems that took them away from football. 

Football does a worse job than any other north American sport of pulling those kids up. It's not like the 80s when guys started 4 and 5 years in college while not being able to read. 

A better none school alternative to juco would  be the real start up football league thatd succeed. Late and end hs kids who aren't cut out for school getting paid to play and developing for the nfl and cfl. 

You aren't wrong about big soft kids. That's a story as old as time. But you don't have to be tough at 6 5 250 to beat up on cfl Sams. Or even wil and macs. 

I will not deny that a ton of talent walks away from the gridiron every year due to life getting in the way or they simply lose their passion for the game. Playing football beyond Pop Warner and HS takes a commitment level that some guys just don't have, can't commit too, or are just too immature to handle. That happens in every sport at every position. However, looking for these guys and hoping that something has changed in them or for them would not bear much fruit for a pro franchise. These are the guys that have to bring themselves back to the game or be recruited by the JUCOs and DIV 3s of the football world. The CFL can't turn over those rocks. and the NFL won't. That being said, I stand by my declaration that these needle in a haystack big men with blazing speed and hands TE types just aren't readily available to the CFL and that's why we don't use TE packages much. NFL snaps them up. I don't think there is a team in the league that wouldn't grab a 6'5/250 lb receiver who can run a mid 4/40 and use him in TE like role out of the slot. We don't do it because they just aren't out there. Hamilton drafted a TE at number one last year because he was actually available. there is no bias away from these guys in the CFL, they are just super hard to find. Any of them that can play even at a CFL level are sitting on NFL PRs being hoarded like gold.

On 2022-01-25 at 10:16 AM, GCn20 said:

If you can find a 6'5"/250 guy that can run a 4.5/40 and run good routes, catch the ball and not be a basket case please call me I have a job for them.

Signed:

EVERY NFL GM past and present.

....and that is why we don't see them up here. The NFL passing game is a TE game. Teams stockpile them.

That's your name, right???

5 hours ago, GCn20 said:

That was your metric, not mine. I simply said that based on your metric it would be near impossible to find that guy. You argued it wouldn't be and that you saw a **** ton of them in high school ball.

It's your metric. Plaese don't twist my words. 

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

I don't know about anybody else but I'd like to see more signings. Alexander and Couture for sure. A running back. A WR or two. I figure the WR group is being held up due to Lawler waiting for an NFL deal.

I'm sure with Walters that the phone has barely been hung up as he's trying to work deals. We should inundate Burnham's social media with pictures of us and our back to back cups,might have a quick signing after that.

19 minutes ago, Jesse said:

OK guys.

wbbfan first mentioned it. GCn20 was replying to him.

Then you both started blaming each other for it.  

All I was trying to say is we don't need those kind of players to be TE's & until the CFL goes back to TE's they'll never be developed in this country. It doesn't mean we can't or ever will. 

21 hours ago, Booch said:

Cripes....in a goal line set use Willie...he could crack down and block...drive the pile...or post up for a endzone toss...he'd have to be accounted for and opens up so much more to your offence

Funny I remember saying at some point during last season... I'm surprised they don't have a goal line package that include Willie.

9 hours ago, GCn20 said:

I will not deny that a ton of talent walks away from the gridiron every year due to life getting in the way or they simply lose their passion for the game. Playing football beyond Pop Warner and HS takes a commitment level that some guys just don't have, can't commit too, or are just too immature to handle. That happens in every sport at every position. However, looking for these guys and hoping that something has changed in them or for them would not bear much fruit for a pro franchise. These are the guys that have to bring themselves back to the game or be recruited by the JUCOs and DIV 3s of the football world. The CFL can't turn over those rocks. and the NFL won't. That being said, I stand by my declaration that these needle in a haystack big men with blazing speed and hands TE types just aren't readily available to the CFL and that's why we don't use TE packages much. NFL snaps them up. I don't think there is a team in the league that wouldn't grab a 6'5/250 lb receiver who can run a mid 4/40 and use him in TE like role out of the slot. We don't do it because they just aren't out there. Hamilton drafted a TE at number one last year because he was actually available. there is no bias away from these guys in the CFL, they are just super hard to find. Any of them that can play even at a CFL level are sitting on NFL PRs being hoarded like gold.

Take a look at my post with the example and the draft combines. Literally tons of them kicking around out of the nfl. 

Teams have brought in nfl experienced and higher end ni tes but they don't last because they don't use them. Just like teams don't make good use of kr on offense and more. It's not a lack of talent available every team is stuck in the same rut running the same offense looking for the same types. 

No they aren't. NFL teams do not stock pile pass catching tes by and large. Most every team has 1 or 1 developmental guy. Not a few. 

3 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Why trick people when you have the oline we do. Bring the beef and power into the endzone.

By goal line it's more like inside 10 yards. We haven't done great at connecting reliable passes for scores in deep.  Pounding it in is good if you are 1st and goal from inside the 5. 

So the XFL in a single year dug up 10 TEs who fit the bill, and I didnt go through all the TEs each team took to camp. Included in that group is a 265lbs 6'5 guy who ran 4.46, a nearly 6'7 255lbs te who ran 4.47. They also found a nearly 6'9 guy who ran a mid 4.6 40. All of these guys played for relative peanuts in a start up spring league. And for comparison, our wr core is made up entirely of guys who ran 1 very high 4.5 and mostly mid 4.6 to 4.7 guys. 

3 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

This is a very hard question which is the more important play Nichols or Three Way.

Went with Nichols since with out it the next one does not happen.

The Rose/Wilson play was more iconic but without Nichols deflection on that play we lose the game so I’m going to give some love to Nichols. Single coverage on the outside like that is almost impossible to cover but he made a tremendous game saving play on the ball. 

2 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

This is a very hard question which is the more important play Nichols or Three Way.

Went with Nichols since with out it the next one does not happen.

Well there's a couple factors to consider (if we want to overanalyze this online poll just for fun)...

which play was more impactful: The Nichols knock down ensures we stay in the game and gives us a shot at OT.... The Int, if it doesn't happen, we probably stop them on 3rd and 18 anyways and still win... point for Nichols
which play was more impressive: Nichols was in the right place with sound coverage and just needed to make the obvious play... the way Rose intentionally scooped the ball up towards Wilson might be one of the most impressive plays of all time... point for the Int.

But I think I agree with @Jpan85... hat tip to Nichols