Burke

Adrenaline_x

Man, this is STILL Mack's team. He built this steaming pile of crud we call a football team. How can you keep apologizing for the guy??? Burke is not a good head coach &  Mack hired him. In fairness to Burke, Mack gave him the (lack of) players to work with. I guess zippo talent at most positions is Burke's fault too??? How can you say, "chances are" he'd have brought in the same tackles?? You can't say that with any certainty. The smell coming from the U of M campus is all Joe Mack.

I don't buy that it's a pile of crud for players. There's a hell of a lot of talent on the defense there that the coaches are utterly failing to get the most out of week in and week out. We've seen what they can do in week 2 and in the banjo bowl with proper coaching, it's damned impressive, but most weeks they're lost, that's a lack of clear direction from the coaches. I know full well who hired Burke and I've been talking about that being an issue for longer than anyone else, but to simply say the talent isn't there is a fallacy. There's talent there, the coaches aren't getting the most out of it, not even close. I can make a guess that these tackles didn't just pop up out of nowhere simply because the scouting system hasn't changed through it all. It's a pretty safe assumption that these same scouts would have presented these same players to whoever the GM was. Once you put down the haterade you're drinking and look at things objectively you might stop blaming absolutely everyone on this false notion that Joe Mack couldn't and wouldn't bring in any talent worth a damn. 

Mike Kelly's team had an impressive defense too...DB and DL in particular.

This is still Joe Mack's mess. Don't transfer the blame to Burke, whose troops are still playing for him.

Give me a break. Such a double standard lol

Burke was the biggest mistake Mack made so even if Penton wants to slam Mack start with the #1 issues, terrible at picking head coaches. 

I kinda joked about it once but seriously now... Do we really know whether it was Mack's decision to remove the interim label from Burke in 2012 or did other's have more say? Well before a decision was announced that Mack would be staying as GM for 2013, there were numerous reports that Buchko wanted to keep Burke as HC and that the BoD supported this. So is it possible Mack could see Burke was in over his head but he couldn't bring in another HC because his hands were tied?  

I dont like the "I spoke to some players, no names, off the record and they agree with me". Not saying I doubt you, just saying its a slippery slope. All other accounts are the players love playing for him. He didnt seem to have any problem motivating when he was DC. Every week that we know he takes a stronger hand in the D, they perform markedly better.

I dont know...I think he came into a bad situation that didnt allow for any sort of rookie head coach stumble. I think Burke's shortcoming are certainly magnified. My point would be, had he come into a better situation, he likely would have grown as a head coach more significantly.

I dont blame Burke for everything. Im obviously a fan. But the "buck" has to stop with leadership and we've turfed the CEO and GM...not to mention the OC. Burke is the only leader left to hold accountable.

But not now. Off-season.

Leader??? are you ever using the term loosely! Leaders don't throw their employees under the bus in public!

At this point Burke has thrown so many people under the bus that the wheels are no longer touching the ground.

He's not a leader at all.

Burke really sounds like Knapp is taking Pencer's place...  rotating Cauchy and JJ at Safety, Labbe will be getting some major playing time...  

I thought JJ and Pencer both had really good games - as a reward, one gets shuffled around and the other goes back to 6th OL.

Sorenson, Greaves, Foster, Kohlert, Muamba, Labbe... and Cauchy or Thomas...?

Nobody finds the qb coming cold off the Bench being cold excuse hilarious? A qb can't throw a 30 yard pass off the bench?

If a guy needs to throw several passes before throwing a bomb t then he should be cut

This week Wally will call time out to ice Hall in fourth quarter...Burke's secret it out now...

Drives me nuts that Burke gets such a free pass from guys like Kirk Penton.

Penton is a quality writer, but his absolute hate on for Joe Mack drives me nuts.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2013/09/23/all-hope-is-not-lost-with-bombers

Instead of piling dirt on the old Blue and Gold, however, it's time to look at everything that is right with them.

Seriously?

This is still Joe Mack's mess. Don't transfer the blame to Burke, whose troops are still playing for him.

It's a pretty good article. Until he says the Bombers are missing a third of their starting 24 to injury...and cites Boatman and Morley as part of that third.

Drives me nuts that Burke gets such a free pass from guys like Kirk Penton.

Penton is a quality writer, but his absolute hate on for Joe Mack drives me nuts.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2013/09/23/all-hope-is-not-lost-with-bombers

Instead of piling dirt on the old Blue and Gold, however, it's time to look at everything that is right with them.

Seriously?

The only media person in Winnipeg who I find can keep an objective mind is Ed Tait, or at least present an objective view.  The rest are severely clouded by who they do and don't like personally, who gives them what in terms of information and scoops.  Irving was pathetic on the post-game show making excuses for Burke and rationalizing his gaffes.  Penton and Friesen openly campaign against anyone they don't like who works for the Bombers.  It became pretty clear early on that criticism of Mack had a personal tinge to it from many media in the city.  That's not to say that he did a good job, but the media portrayals of people involved with this team are an absolute joke.

So to recap, don't give a young NI OL playing time that will really help him develop because in your mind, he didn't play as well in game 2. Use a NI at OLB more frequently and thus reduce the reps for a young OLB (Wild) who's played well this year. Reduce the playing time at safety for a guy who did a good job there. Play the NI at S more next game who's struggled all year. I hate Tim Burke.

Oh and may I add that the man said they would spend less this year so they could make a big splash in free agency come 2014.

I may cancel my tickets if they keep this clown.

Nobody finds the qb coming cold off the Bench being cold excuse hilarious? A qb can't throw a 30 yard pass off the bench?

If a guy needs to throw several passes before throwing a bomb t then he should be cut

This week Wally will call time out to ice Hall in fourth quarter...Burke's secret it out now...

Wally?

Wally?

buano.

So to recap, don't give a young NI OL playing time that will really help him develop because in your mind, he didn't play as well in game 2. Use a NI at OLB more frequently and thus reduce the reps for a young OLB (Wild) who's played well this year. Reduce the playing time at safety for a guy who did a good job there. Play the NI at S more next game who's struggled all year. I hate Tim Burke.

Oh and may I add that the man said they would spend less this year so they could make a big splash in free agency come 2014.

I may cancel my tickets if they keep this clown.

Yeah, I didn't quite understand the free agent quote... maybe he means we're trying to trade for Collaros and offering him a big signing bonus - that's all I could figure...?

It just can't be good to continue making comments about the lack of talent on the team - word must get back to the players...

You're right. That's a new one.

Did he actually say that? He knows we can cut anyone we want in the offseason, right? That statement makes no sense.

It makes quite a bit of sense actually, so I'm glad Walters/Mack put the team in this situation.

Use the leftover $$$ on guys like Etienne, Alex Hall, etc and give them bonus dollars to count against 2013 cap. Free up as much 2014 cash as possible for a guy like Collaros or some OL

I repeat....what makes people believe there will be a huge surplus of money to spend before FA. If I AMA potential FA I want to see who gets hired here, who signs here and who I am playing for before I sign. All that has to happen before Dec. 31st if in fact there is Cap money left. Do you think the GM, HC situation will be resolved by then?