Burke

Adrenaline_x

Fans and objectivity are not synonymous. Hence the derivation of the term fan. Burke's argument was he had an ill prepared QB with just above zero playtime in the game with 25 sec. He made an objective decision. No one has commented on Burke's decision to play defence first in OT? A decision I am sure was also objective providing his QB more time to prepare. Perhaps the counter argument could easily be he should have rested and calmed the D after giving up the td for the tie. Isn't hindsight from an armchair wonderful.

Burke's argument was he had an ill prepared QB with just above zero playtime in the game

Which is precisely why guaranteeing overtime against a hot QB with all the momentum was the worst decision  he could have made,

Yeah that is the biggest problem for me. OK you have no faith in your qb... you know that winning on defense in OT is next to impossible right? At some point in OT you have to rely on your offense. MIght as well have shown faith in them BEFORE over time and who knows maybe they make a flukey catch and get into scoring range. 

Fans and objectivity are not synonymous. Hence the derivation of the term fan. Burke's argument was he had an ill prepared QB with just above zero playtime in the game with 25 sec. He made an objective decision. No one has commented on Burke's decision to play defence first in OT? A decision I am sure was also objective providing his QB more time to prepare. Perhaps the counter argument could easily be he should have rested and calmed the D after giving up the td for the tie. Isn't hindsight from an armchair wonderful.

The decision to play defence first is because it gives you a huge advantage in the overtime format.  If you go offence first and find yourself on 3rd down, you pretty much have to kick a field goal.  By going offence second, you already know what your opponent did, so if they scored a TD, you have the luxury of knowing you have to go for it on 3rd down.  If they went FG, then you know you can kick the FG.

Has nothing to do with resting defence or preparing your QB.

Absolutely true. If you win the toss in OT you choose defense first for those very reasons.

he didn't really throw him under the bus... he mentioned bad punting ,  missed int opportunities (suber and demond) and the offense as a whole.  

I thought Brown was just being a tool and enjoying watching us lose.     

Mitch Z was just a ding dong thinking that this game was a positive... it took every ounce of restraint from Irving to not call him an idiot.   

I think of the three Irving was the most right on guy... 

Irving is a great play by play voice.  His analysis is terribly subjective.  He likes Burke, he liked Lapolice.  He'll spend hours rationalizing the decisions they make that lose football games.

The media in this town treat Burke with such kid gloves, guess it's because they love how candid he is and how they can always get good tidbits out of him. I would like to see them treat Burke with half the critical eye they put on Mack, it would be a slaughter for the poor guy cause he's made so many blunders in his short time as head coach. 

No. But much like disagree with a lawless article doesn't mean he's a fat bald ugly stuttering hack with no writing ability, calling Burke a **** idiot coward is emotional. Does anyone truly believe Burke the man is a coward? Or that he knows nothing about football.

There's nothing personal in here.  There was nothing personal about Lawless.  All the fat bald ugly stuff just came from you.  If you are offended by people being critical about a sports columnists trade proposals, a quarterbacks play, or a football coach's in-game decision-making, why bother coming to a football fan message board?

Playing defense first in OT is the standard choice in this format.  If you can find a CFL or NCAA game where the team that won the coin toss puts their offense out first, I'd be surprised.  Personally, I don't understand why.  You're putting pressure on your defense, and if the opposition scores a TD, your offence comes out under tremendous pressure against a defense with nothing to lose really, at worst for them it is tied with another round to play.  Can take a lot more risks in that position.

The media in this town treat Burke with such kid gloves, guess it's because they love how candid he is and how they can always get good tidbits out of him. I would like to see them treat Burke with half the critical eye they put on Mack, it would be a slaughter for the poor guy cause he's made so many blunders in his short time as head coach. 

Flip side is why are their fans who hate Burke so much calling out his coaching ability yet treat Joe Mack with kid gloves? Saying that if we were more patient he'd have built a winner. There's absolutely no proof that would have ever happened. Why can't these fans be as critical of Mack as they are of Burke? This team doesn't have the talent & that was the responsibility of Joe Mack. 

there was a guy could be clearly heard on TSN on the 3rd down in OT screaming "Maybe you should take a knee" sums things up perfectly. Burke is a loser and the team is a loser because of it. What is he? 6-16 as head coach with so many games where the team was never ever remotely in it... he needed to be fired 2 or 3 months ago. 

That was the guy beside me. Gave our whole section a good laugh thats for sure.

Why was Boltus number two if Goltz was the guy they put in? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of it? What an absolute gongshow. Burke should be fired tomorrow morning.

My brother yelled this out last night.  We just listened to the broadcast and it sure sounded like him.  Are you in Section 229?

Flip side is why are their fans who hate Burke so much calling out his coaching ability yet treat Joe Mack with kid gloves? Saying that if we were more patient he'd have built a winner. There's absolutely no proof that would have ever happened. Why can't these fans be as critical of Mack as they are of Burke? This team doesn't have the talent & that was the responsibility of Joe Mack. 

A GM gets more patience because he's further from the direct result. His mistakes can take weeks, months or years to reveal themselves.

A head coach is criticized immediately because his stupid decisions have a more immediate impact.

On the other hand if they don't take a knee and Goltz throws and interception everyone is talking about what an idiot Burke is for not taking a knee.

But at least we could say we tried. In throwing that ball you have a percentage whatever that is with Goltz, taking a knee you have zero.  I would even venture to say going for it gave us a better chance than hoping we could beat them in overtime. We had scored 7 points in three quarters.

I know, it's easy to be a Saturday morning coach.

we've been over this, I'm not being too easy on Mack, I'm just sticking up against a lot of the unfair criticisms that have been leveled at the guy. As for why I'm hating on Burke, well that much is obvious. 6-16 I think is his record as Bomber coach and most of those 16 losses were games that the team never ever had a chance to win. This is the worst Blue Bomber team I've ever had the misfortune of watching and that says a lot. Burke has been a turd of a head coach since his first game on the job (a rather memorable 52-0 loss)

On the other hand if they don't take a knee and Goltz throws and interception everyone is talking about what an idiot Burke is for not taking a knee.

But at least we could say we tried. In throwing that ball you have a percentage whatever that is with Goltz, taking a knee you have zero.  I would even venture to say going for it gave us a better chance than hoping we could beat them in overtime. We had scored 7 points in three quarters.

What gets me is they still had a timeout as well.

If Burke just planned intelligently, they start at their 35 with 24 seconds left. Then they'd need what, 30 yards in 24 seconds to have a shot at a single? 40 yards to give it a shot at a field goal? With a timeout remaining, you have at least one play call where the whole field is at your disposal.

You can't be assuming as a head coach that your QB is going to throw an interception or fumble the ball. If that's the best assumption you can make about him, don't even put him out there in the first place. Use those 24 seconds to stretch the field, it's enough to get 3 plays off especially with that timeout in your back pocket. At least TRY. No one is going to be mad at you if you try and fail, we're already all aware that our team blows. But not even trying just makes you an absolute coward.

if they try and fail then it's the players fault for not executing, not even trying is all Burkes fault. 

It's telling for several reasons. Firstly Goltz isn't a QB. If he was they wouldn't have taken a knee.

Secondly, Burke is a very conservative coach who was desperate to hang on and try to not lose. To lose like that must be very demoralizing.

I would love to have heard the coaches discussion. Like, did Marcel argue that his offence could get them down the field?

If we had a competent DC I think they'd consider firing Burke now. But it seems he's the defacto cd too so what can you do. Promoting Marcel also puts you in the same position as last year where a guy inherits a mess and does just enough to make you make a bad decision and keep him.

I almost hope on the day after the final game wade miller announces the entire football ops staff have been let go. Except I like Kyle Walters.

Word is miller and Walters like Burke. How much, is the question.

The decision to kneel at the half is totally who Burke is.

And that decision, at this time, in the overall picture of where the Bombers psyche is right now, was exactly what we didn't need.

How many jaws dropped when the return team hit the field?

How many more jaws dropped when we saw we were kneeling?

There was a chance to win. 2 plays, maybe three.

I don't care who you have at QB, you go for it.

You play to win.

You play to win.

A GM gets more patience because he's further from the direct result. His mistakes can take weeks, months or years to reveal themselves.

A head coach is criticized immediately because his stupid decisions have a more immediate impact.

Well, I'd say we've hit the perfect storm.